https://www.therams.com/news/phillips-c ... linebacker

Rams News Now!
Get the Latest Rams News, Updated 24/7 Here:
Twitter : https://twitter.com/#!/RamsNewsNow
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RamsNews/

toast49
Veteran

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:46 am

Rams LB's are a huge unknown at this point except for Baron. Just have to wait for the real games to start. If they're just average Rams could get gashed in the run game again this year despite what they have up front.

Clovis
Veteran

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:26 am

I think we're going to see some of the Wade Phillips value showing up here. Although it was a high turnover year Wade kept some guys who did not start last year and didn't go after any high draft picks to replace them. He must feel pretty good about these guys stepping up.

The run D was the sore spot last year and I don't believe it got overlooked. I also think we're going to see more runs vs this D than what is common in today's NFL. Teams are not going to want to risk their QB in the pocket much vs our guys up front AND teams are going to want to keep our O off of the field. This means running the ball and quick, short passes. Our LB crew is going to get challenged.

To me the run D is what to watch on D. I'm looking forward to it.

Rammer
Veteran

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:40 am

toast49 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:46 am
Rams LB's are a huge unknown at this point except for Baron. Just have to wait for the real games to start. If they're just average Rams could get gashed in the run game again this year despite what they have up front.
Who knows? Huge unknown is right. He's probably just talking up these guys because they don't look like they addressed this weakness to me. I do think though, maybe middle of the road average would be sufficient with the front they have. Otherwise, what is the point of having two world class dt's?

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:59 am

Whats not to like,,,

The three headed monsters and the smother brothers are going to cover for the weakness of the middle,,,

The ILBers won't get blocked because the front three are going to get doubled... so the ILBers will be free to hit the open wholes...

The OLBers won't be double either so they will only get one on one coverage.... Should be able to get free on the outside or hold the edge....

toast49
Veteran

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:40 am

69RamFan wrote:
Whats not to like,,,

The three headed monsters and the smother brothers are going to cover for the weakness of the middle,,,

The ILBers won't get blocked because the front three are going to get doubled... so the ILBers will be free to hit the open wholes...

The OLBers won't be double either so they will only get one on one coverage.... Should be able to get free on the outside or hold the edge....
If you have a weakness on defense teams will scheme ways to exploit that. Being average at LB won't get it done, but hopefully these young guys will step up. Like last year the good running teams like Washington and Minnesota will pull their guards and get them isolated on our Inside backers, if they get erased like Ogletree then big gashing runs will follow.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:58 am

toast49 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:40 am
69RamFan wrote:
Whats not to like,,,

If you have a weakness on defense teams will scheme ways to exploit that. Being average at LB won't get it done, but hopefully these young guys will step up. Like last year the good running teams like Washington and Minnesota will pull their guards and get them isolated on our Inside backers, if they get erased like Ogletree then big gashing runs will follow.
Maybe I word it wrong for you, so let me change the wording so you can understand...

Instead of saying cover their weakness, the strength and greatness of both in the middle of our linemen and the backend, will bring out the best to our LBers...

Not every team in the league has great players at every position,,, including the playoff teams...

Every team goes after the oponents weakness, but don't you think our defense will be doing the same?

Let those other teams pull their Guards, and our front three will be in the backfield making tackles for loses....

Clovis
Veteran

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:04 am

^^^^
I agree with both points.If a LBer corps is weak it will be exploited. I do not hold with those who see the glass half empty though. I do not see our LBer corps as being a weakness. Unproven? Yes. This is a group assembled with input from Wade Phillips to run the sonofabum scheme. The guys remaining from the turnover must have earned trust and the guys drafted must have shown something.

Considering our ridiculous DL,ballhawking DBs and explosive Offense that wants the ball, I fully expect to see a heavy dose of runrunrun vs the RAMS. Teams want to keep the ball and want to keep their QB safe. I trust Wade Phillips is prepared for this.

toast49
Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:15 pm

Clovis wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:04 am
^^^^
I agree with both points.If a LBer corps is weak it will be exploited. I do not hold with those who see the glass half empty though. I do not see our LBer corps as being a weakness. Unproven? Yes. This is a group assembled with input from Wade Phillips to run the sonofabum scheme. The guys remaining from the turnover must have earned trust and the guys drafted must have shown something.

Considering our ridiculous DL,ballhawking DBs and explosive Offense that wants the ball, I fully expect to see a heavy dose of runrunrun vs the RAMS. Teams want to keep the ball and want to keep their QB safe. I trust Wade Phillips is prepared for this.
Everyone kept saying that last year and we kept getting gashed. People would say " Wade will figure it out". He never did. Fact is in a 3-4 you need two physical pluggers in the middle to consistently stop the run.