Rams salary cap update after initial free agency moves

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
RamBill
Hall of Famer

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:54 am

Rams salary cap update after initial free agency moves

The Rams are currently left with $8.77 million, according to Over The Cap. That includes the following cap hits:

Dante Fowler Jr.: $12M
Eric Weddle: $5.8M
Cory Littleton: $3.1M
Troy Hill: $2M
Malcolm Brown: $2M
Blake Countess: $2M

Each of the exclusive rights free agents will earn $645,000, as well: JoJo Natson, KhaDarel Hodge, Dominique Hatfield, Morgan Fox and Kevin Peterson

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... cy-update/

Claremontram
Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:08 am

That definitely means goodbye to Suh and probably CJ.

toast49
Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:10 am

I think some of that space is for rookies, so there is no cap space.

Ramsfan08ny
Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:16 am

I hope there's some players that can be restructured. The team definitely needs some more work. Especially at OL and still need a backup QB.

pmill66
Starter

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:22 am

Still work to do. Rams have less than 10 million of cap space, along with 7 draft picks.

On the O side, backup QB is still a question. Brandon Allen has been on the team a couple of years now is he ready for that spot. Regardless drafting a QB looks like a strong possibility.

Boom & Allen are moving up to starters, a couple of backup spots open on the OL. Rams kept a couple of Tackles on the practice squad last year, drafting an OT looks like the best option for a backup. He would get lots of reps behind Whitworth, just as Boom did last year. Bringing in a vet to battle Allen makes sense, Rams could also bring in a vet RG, John Miller from Buffalo may be a possibility, letting Blythe to move to C.

Higbee in the last year of his contract, drafting and developing a TE makes sense for a replacement.

On the D side, replacing Suh and Westbrooks, has to happen. Another Vet and draft pick makes sense, tough to find 2 draft picks to man those spots, need rotation pieces.

ILB has no depth, both Hagar and Wilson are out. Again a vet to compete with Kiser and a draft pick to backup Littleton could be the plan.

CB needs to replace Shields, will have Peterson and Hatfield back from injury. Starters are set, both will be free agents next year, along with Hill, need to begin to draft and develop CB's, have not drafted one in the past few drafts. Too expensive to find in free agency, and seems CB is one of the the top positions that injuries occur each season.

Rams are considered Super Bowl contenders, believe that will help with finding low cost vets that are looking for a ring, and willing to take less to win one. In a great spot for the upcoming draft too, can certainly pick up a player that falls to them early, BPA at a spot of depth is needed, DL, TE, OT, ILB, or CB. A player they target at one of those spots could be available, if not a trade down, picking up additions picks would work too. Great spot to be in.

Looking foward to the 3rd round selections, after the success in the past couple of drafts in that round. McVay and Snead sure work well together.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:56 am

Updated
Looking at the Cap space,,, down to 8mil

1 mil for PS
2mil for IR replacements
2mil for Rookies

That leaves us with 3mil

That we can sign possibly sign two vet min contracts..

CJ and Matthews are who I'm hoping for....

We would have to reconstruct a player under contract...

NorCal RF
Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:37 am

17m, 15m, 12m, 11m, and 9m cap hits in 19 for Donald, Cooks, Fowler, Brockers and Gurley. Unless someone wants to come here and play for the veteran minimum or a few $$ more than we are looking at the roster minus draft picks. And it gets worst in regards to Donald, Cooks, and Gurley moving forward. It’s why when you had a chance to win it all this past February............

NorCal RF
Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:40 am

pmill66 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:22 am
Still work to do. Rams have less than 10 million of cap space, along with 7 draft picks.

On the O side, backup QB is still a question. Brandon Allen has been on the team a couple of years now is he ready for that spot. Regardless drafting a QB looks like a strong possibility.

Boom & Allen are moving up to starters, a couple of backup spots open on the OL. Rams kept a couple of Tackles on the practice squad last year, drafting an OT looks like the best option for a backup. He would get lots of reps behind Whitworth, just as Boom did last year. Bringing in a vet to battle Allen makes sense, Rams could also bring in a vet RG, John Miller from Buffalo may be a possibility, letting Blythe to move to C.

Higbee in the last year of his contract, drafting and developing a TE makes sense for a replacement.

On the D side, replacing Suh and Westbrooks, has to happen. Another Vet and draft pick makes sense, tough to find 2 draft picks to man those spots, need rotation pieces.

ILB has no depth, both Hagar and Wilson are out. Again a vet to compete with Kiser and a draft pick to backup Littleton could be the plan.

CB needs to replace Shields, will have Peterson and Hatfield back from injury. Starters are set, both will be free agents next year, along with Hill, need to begin to draft and develop CB's, have not drafted one in the past few drafts. Too expensive to find in free agency, and seems CB is one of the the top positions that injuries occur each season.

Rams are considered Super Bowl contenders, believe that will help with finding low cost vets that are looking for a ring, and willing to take less to win one. In a great spot for the upcoming draft too, can certainly pick up a player that falls to them early, BPA at a spot of depth is needed, DL, TE, OT, ILB, or CB. A player they target at one of those spots could be available, if not a trade down, picking up additions picks would work too. Great spot to be in.

Looking foward to the 3rd round selections, after the success in the past couple of drafts in that round. McVay and Snead sure work well together.
The replacements you are suggesting are very likely not possible with this team’s remaining available cap money. Prepare for disappointment.

HellRam
Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:09 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
17m, 15m, 12m, 11m, and 9m cap hits in 19 for Donald, Cooks, Fowler, Brockers and Gurley. Unless someone wants to come here and play for the veteran minimum or a few $$ more than we are looking at the roster minus draft picks. And it gets worst in regards to Donald, Cooks, and Gurley moving forward. It’s why when you had a chance to win it all this past February............
That Gurley contract is not looking good at all right now. Even if Gurley was fully healthy, you could make a argument he's still over-paid.

SoCalRam78
Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:20 pm

is that figure before or after draft holds, because Vinny B and Lindsey saying different things.

Fan since 80s

NorCal RF
Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:24 pm

HellRam wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:09 pm
NorCal RF wrote:
That Gurley contract is not looking good at all right now. Even if Gurley was fully healthy, you could make a argument he's still over-paid.
And I didn’t include Whit’s. A whole hell of a lot of $$ going to 8-10 players.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:35 pm

SoCalRam78 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:20 pm
is that figure before or after draft holds, because Vinny B and Lindsey saying different things.
The 8.7mil is before draft pick salary...

The salary for draft picks comes out to 5.5mil...

But you have to account for the top 51, so the bottom cuts replaced by the draft picks.... it will be close to only using 2.5mil off the cap.. so knocks it down to 6mil.... and most likely keeping at least 2 to 3mil for IR replacement during the season..

So we are down to 3 to 4mil...

Oh yeah,,, plus another 1mil for the PS

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:48 am

NorCal RF wrote:
And it gets worst in regards to Donald, Cooks, and Gurley moving forward. It’s why when you had a chance to win it all this past February............
^^^THIS^^^.......I'm still so pissed off!!!!!

toast49
Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:31 am

The Cooks deal looks terrible to me. No idea what Snead was thinking with that one. He counts 15 mil against the cap this year

NorCal RF
Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:35 am

toast49 wrote:
The Cooks deal looks terrible to me. No idea what Snead was thinking with that one. He counts 15 mil against the cap this year
Agree. And then you look at his cap hit thru 2022 as well as his dead cap hit o.......... A good receiver and a quality person but damn what the hell were they thinking. It’s this time of year that the ramifications of his contract hits you.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:49 am

NorCal RF wrote:
toast49 wrote:
Agree. And then you look at his cap hit thru 2022 as well as his dead cap hit o.......... A good receiver and a quality person but damn what the hell were they thinking. It’s this time of year that the ramifications of his contract hits you.
The Rams needed him.
Not sure what the angst is about. He’s incredibly dependable and stretches the field.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

NorCal RF
Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 am

Dick84 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:49 am
NorCal RF wrote:
toast49 wrote:
The Rams needed him.
Not sure what the angst is about. He’s incredibly dependable and stretches the field.
15.2, 16.8, 16.8, 17.8 and 17.4 over the next 5 years with dead money starting next year at 17.8, 13.0 and 8.2. for 20-22. I won’t even mention the dead Money hit for this up coming season. Obviously no one is waiving any player with that dead money this season. I think it’s fair dick to question if that “need” could have been addressed without such a salary hit at that position for one player. He is everything you mentioned but what he isn’t is a receiver who can go up and get a pass in tight coverage against a bigger defender. With the money he is getting................

toast49
Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:37 am

He's being paid number one receiver money and Cook's isn't a number one. The reason the Saints and Patriots moved on from him. Rams got 5 total touchdowns from him last season.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:04 am

I’ll just disagree.
His job isn’t to “go up and win balls”, it’s to get open and make catches, which he dies with great consistency.
He didn’t make a great play on the last pass from Goff.. but he was wide open and Goff was late on the other in the Super Bowl. 8 for 120 in the Super Bowl with Pats top corner on him.
He was the Rams leading WR in playoffs by almost 100 yards.

He ain’t perfect but it’s damn hard to find his consistent production.

3-24-16

NorCal RF
Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:15 am

That’s fine. Again I like him a lot. Glad he is a Ram. Solid receiver. Just with me his $$ numbers have become more real now. He is being paid Julio Jones and AJ Green $$. In fact he is being paid better. Granted Green is probably going to surpass his $$ after the 19 season but IMO Cooks isn’t those two.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:34 am

NorCal RF wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:15 am
That’s fine. Again I like him a lot. Glad he is a Ram. Solid receiver. Just with me his $$ numbers have become more real now. He is being paid Julio Jones and AJ Green $$. In fact he is being paid better. Granted Green is probably going to surpass his $$ after the 19 season but IMO Cooks isn’t those two.
Just wait and watch where his contract lands after this offseason. Timing plays a big role.

3-24-16

toast49
Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:45 am

Every number one receivers job is to win when the ball is thrown to them. Cooks is a nice piece in the Rams offense, just too big a cap number for what he is.

ElAcky
Starter

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:46 pm

This squad was good enough to get us to the super bowl.. the only real loss is Saffold.. if we can find a decent replacement then I’m not to worried!

Not bothered about Suh although I would have preferred him over Brockers.

Suspect we’ll get better LB with final cuts

brasilrams
Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:48 pm

toast49 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:45 am
Every number one receivers job is to win when the ball is thrown to them. Cooks is a nice piece in the Rams offense, just too big a cap number for what he is.
He played extremely well during the entire season but layed an egg when it most mattered. Sb. He should have caught those 2 passes Goff perfectly put in his hands. He was hit right after it but he needs to catch those balls. Specially in the end zone

Ramsfansince66
Bench Warmer

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 pm

Snead lied, said Last year we had more cap space for this year...I understand who they signed ..Cant buy anybody now sad .He screwed this team signing these Guys.

Rate this topic