Can Goff Develop Into the GOAT?

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Wildflecken
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:38 am

Love him or hate him, Tom Brady is a field general. The best field general ever. Unsure I have EVER seen a quarterback accomplish for his team what Brady can before the ball is ever snapped. From protection reads, identifying assignments for his blockers, controlling the tempo with snap counts etc..

Another example here is when Philly turned to Foles when Wentz was injured season they won SB. Pederson had oline on sideline practicing snap counts with Foles. Timing is oh so important to the offensive line and any slight hesitation can give the defender a huge advantage.

Many seem to forget Goff is only 24. Goff has improved each and every season, following the path his draft profile indicated and mimicking his path in college.

When Jared is interviewed it appears he is 100 percent focused on football. He has not pressed the organization for an early extension and made comments last offseason indicating he would bide his time. Similar to the current GOAT who has often played for less than his market value, it appears Goff fully understands the importance of the organization to be able to surround him with superior talent at the skill positions and more importantly the protection to keep him upright. This speaks favorably to Goff's leadership, putting the team needs above his own and should not go unnoticed by his teammates.

Despite leading the Rams to the Super Bowl last season, the jury is still out on Goff being the long term answer for the Rams at the qb position. Some question if the offenses success is related to the play of Jared versus the McVay offense and the talent that surrounds him. Those not in the Goff camp will point to Kirk Cousins performance with the Vikings last season, his first outside of a McVay based offense.

Next season will be Goff's third in the McVay offense. What do we need to see from Goff that would indicate he truly is the long term, franchise qb for this organization?

First his role in the offense must be expanded and time for the kid gloves to come off completely. He needs the freedom to make the on field adjustments meaning he has mastered the offense and can make the protection reads, identify where the defense is vulnerable and also realize when Rams package puts them at a disadvantage based on defensive personnel package and he must identify/utilize his hot read. Jared needs to be the most informed and most knowledgeable player on field each week on the opponent we are facing.

Most I have seen to date from Goff indicates he could be one of the best pocket passers to ever play when the end of his career is reached.

We will find out early this season if he is ready for this expanded role and if he is the talent at qb that elevates the play of others. Goff works very hard in the offseason and I love his commitment to date. Experience is gained not only through time, but time well spent

Go Rams!

majik
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:19 am

I don't know about GOAT, but I definitely believe he has the capability of an HOF career.

I would like to see improve in the area of throwing the ball away because he tends to hold the ball too long waiting for a receiver to open up and gets hit, sacked, or has the ball stripped.

Related to that, I would also like to see him throw to a check down receiver more often than trying to hit the home run ball. The INT in the SB was the perfect example of that when Woods underneath on the same side of the field was open if he led him to the sideline with the ball.

Also, McVay needs to allow him more rope at the line of scrimmage. Too often the Rams take the ball down to under 5 seconds on the play clock even though they are lined up by the 20 second mark. They need to implement more get to the line and just snap the ball to not allow the defense to adjust.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 am

I'll be happy with falling somewhere between the incredible highs of this year and the lows.
Closer to the highs, of course.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

ElAcky
Starter

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:16 am

He has potential no doubt... he needs a supporting cast though... having said that Brady does well irrespective of who is around him that’s why he is the GOAT.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:43 am

Each yeah just based on stats,,,

Goff has improved in numbers...

Numbers turn into wins...

Wins turn into playoffs...

Playoffs turn into SB

SB turns into SB wins...

This is his third year under McVay's system....

Learning each year what type of defense's he has seen....

He is a smart kid and will grown into something special...

So far he is in the path of being a HOFer

I'll take that all day long with a few SB wins...

But with this front office and coaching staff....

They are looking for more than a few SB wins...

If Goff takes less than what the most top QBs are getting for Salary contracts...

Then that shows me he wants to be the best....

49RH8R
Starter

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:26 pm

i am a huge fan of goff and have no doubt he's our franchise quarterback. believe it or not team records are already falling and by the time he's done he will own almost all of them.

league wide he will be considered 'elite' with another run like last year. his stats over the last 2 full seasons compare with anybody and guess what? he's still improving. anybody that questions goff just needs to watch the vikings and chiefs games from last year. geeeze.

that being said, you don't throw out the term 'goat' lightly. i don't think another qb will win as many super bowls as brady in my lifetime. goat went from montana to brady and it's gonna stay there for a while.

rong
Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:40 pm

I donno about GOAT, I'll be happy with a QB who is capable of taking us to the playoffs every year

clevelandrams
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:26 am

the correct and simple answer is,no, of course not. it will never happen. He's already on the down-slide

Wildflecken
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:02 am

1.) Thanks to all for the replies and I will agree, the term GOAT should not be thrown around loosely or its meaning downgraded. My intended goal of the thread was to start discussion on the steps Goff needed to take to position himself years down the road into that discussion.

The league has NEVER seen before what the Patriots with Brady behind center have been able to accomplish. The work, dedication, practice reps etc.. required to attain excellence at your craft season after season is unprecedented. More amazingly, but a very important lesson for the other 31 teams, is that each team had its own identity and formula was not only altered but presented the roster with a fresh challenge each and every season.

2.) I truly believe Goff has the inner drive needed to improve each and every season. I do believe he desperately wants to achieve the best ever when all is said and done.

3.) Goff having a larger on field presence next season seems the normal progression. A larger role in protection reads, a larger role in his on the field presence in which the offense turns his way more for direction.

When Goff is seeing the field through McVay's eyes, this offense should be unstoppable and able to thrive no matter the challenge presented. Identifying the challenges presented is a must to incorporate the solutions. Mastering the full playbook and packages available are no easy feat, that is certain. But Goff has been adding to his arsenal each and every season. Next season he could take huge strides forward in having command of each and every situation

Go Rams!

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:46 am

I know Colin Cowherd thinks so. He sees Goff and McVay as the next Brady/Belechick. I know, I know, some here could care less what Cowherd thinks. I would love to see Goff have a HOF career. That would mean the Rams would be contenders for the next decade or more. I still feel the sting of McVay's failure in the Super Bowl. I blame him for the loss more than I blame Goff. I have to remind myself that both are really young and still learning. Still, when you get to the big one, you HAVE to win it.

Rammer
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:17 am

I'm thinking Goff will continue to develop and improve. But GOAT? Nah, not gonna happen. Except for the horns part. Goff has that part covered. ... Brady, Montana- these guys were pretty damn good field generals in their rookie years. They were natural born field generals. Goff has to work at it.

49RH8R
Starter

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:58 am

Rammer wrote:
I'm thinking Goff will continue to develop and improve. But GOAT? Nah, not gonna happen. Except for the horns part. Goff has that part covered. ... Brady, Montana- these guys were pretty damn good field generals in their rookie years. They were natural born field generals. Goff has to work at it.
actually, neither one of those two did anything their rookie years. brady had 1 completion for 6 yards and montana had 16 completions for 96 yards.

i agree though that those two are 1 and 2 for GOAT.

toast49
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:08 pm

I think Goff is developing just fine. Hopefully the Rams can maintain a strong running game this next season. I think it's key to the Rams overall success.

clevelandrams
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:17 pm

((((The league has NEVER seen before what the Patriots with Brady behind center have been able to accomplish)))(

Yes they have . Cleveland Browns did it first.
That's why they had Belichick coach in Cleveland before the Pats. For historic/ritualistic reasons

armyram
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:49 pm

This year will say a lot about Goff, no more excuses. We know he has a lot of upside but can he be consistent. Y’all pretty much hit it on the head with McVay need to take the kids gloves off but I have yet to see Goff put the game on his shoulders and go win the game. I also hope to never see him crawl into a shell as he did during that Detroit game and some of the games after. He looked defeated. All QBs go through rough times but you gotta shake it off and at least act with confidence

sanbagger
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:55 pm

I'm not really concerned if he becomes the GOAT at all....and really, it's unrealistic and even a tad unfair to put that on a guy.

Plenty of QB's have a ring or 2 and are nowhere near the conversation of GOAT.....that is just something that comes around when everything comes together....and I'm not taking anything away from work ethic of the QB, but he's just one guy.

I thing Goff has shown incredible fortitude and toughness in his early years....I still think he has a mechanical flaw (dropping his arm just before release) that adds time to his delivery and I am interested to watch his progressions this year......I expect to see improvement like we have seen every year from him.....then....well....maybe I'll wait till then

RadRacerRams
Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:22 pm

clevelandrams wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:26 am

the correct and simple answer is,no, of course not. it will never happen. He's already on the down-slide
Already on the DOWN SIDE..... :?: You are truly a Professional Dip Wad.... he's 24 years old and already been to a SB .....it took Brett Favre 7 years :shock: to get to a SB......!!! If you got a part in the movie called Dumb and Dumber your character would have been Called Dumbest :oops: ...........!!!

Go RAMS : Goff can be Great as a QB.....like Arron Rodgers Great.......but the GOAT..... :?: he'd have to win 6 SB's and put up more Yards then Brady........Brady has gotten the title of GOAT cuz the teams he's been on have been able to win that many for him........ But it wasn't Brady who carried ever SB winning team to victory ......the guy has gotten a lot of garbage plays to go his way....... :!:his kicker has saved his butt at least 3 times in my book.....!!!

Rammer
Veteran

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:46 am

49RH8R wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:58 am
Rammer wrote:
actually, neither one of those two did anything their rookie years. brady had 1 completion for 6 yards and montana had 16 completions for 96 yards.

i agree though that those two are 1 and 2 for GOAT.
Yeah, that was the old days when qb's never started their rookie year.... My point was they looked like field generals as soon as they were given an opportunity to start. For both of these guys and I will throw Manning in there too for that part- you could tell right away that they were special. I think Goff is more like every body else in that regard. It's not a knock on him. He's pretty damn good right now but it's more of a learning process. He has to go through growing pains to get 100% there.

Rate this topic