Rams doing nothing to ease concerns on Gurley's knee

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Rammer
Veteran

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:38 am

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... questions/

This has been my opinion all along. Rams are mishandling this big time.

Raminec
Veteran

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:50 am

Rammer wrote:

I’m not sure that they are mishandling it. They might not really know for sure what they are dealing with. Gurley’s knee could be structurally sound to the point that there is no surgery that could improve it. It may be an arthritic condition that will come down to pain tolerance which is something that could vary with the player. Rams signed Gurley to a big extension that is guaranteed for injury so they would be on the hook regardless. It will be telling if they invested an early draft pick on a running back. Right now the only thing that McVay has said is that Gurley is healthy and he plans on using him as a focal point of the offense. I’m sure it may suck for fantasy football fans or betting people to not have complete assurances but I don’t think that there is any disinformation going on. Gurley will be like every NFL player in regards to injuries which is essentially week to week. I’d love to hear them say he is great and will play in all 16 games but even without the controversy that isn’t a given. It’s possible Gurley got paid and now he’s rethinking his career choice. Maybe McVay doesn’t want to throw Gurley under the bus for that because he knows that’s a personal decision. Who knows?
I think it’s unfair to blame the Rams or McVays handling of a situation when they may have no control over it. I’m not going to be concerned until Gurley starts missing games . McVay and Gurley both know the answer and they have both chosen to say the same thing so they must be on the same page. Time will tell. Nothing could be said at this point to satisfy the questions. Those questions will be answered in September. I trust that McVay and Snead will have the Rams prepared one way or another.

Ramsfan08ny
Veteran

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Really, what could they say to "ease concerns"? If they say he's fine, people would not believe it. If they said he's in real bad shape, it certainly would not ease any concerns. They're kind of in a no win as far as easing concerns. Aside from that, is there even a reason for them to say anything??

Clovis
Veteran

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:30 pm

Ramsfan08ny wrote:
is there even a reason for them to say anything??
Good point

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:41 am

losing credibility with fans isn't a good look

"In McVay We Trust!"

LARAMFAN52
Starter

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:02 am

Go be a fan of some other team you p.o.s

Rammer
Veteran

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:11 am

Ramsfan08ny wrote:
Really, what could they say to "ease concerns"? If they say he's fine, people would not believe it. If they said he's in real bad shape, it certainly would not ease any concerns. They're kind of in a no win as far as easing concerns. Aside from that, is there even a reason for them to say anything??

Well, they could just tell the truth. ...... He has a nagging arthritis, inflammation or something that he's trying to work through, we are hoping that he can get back to 100% , Drs say there is a good chance, etc...... whatever it is just say it. Then provide real honest updates as needed. Who would that hurt? .... Sure, it doesn't ease concerns about the knee itself but it stops all the questions for now and gives the team and coach credibility in the future.
Last edited by Rammer on Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

rong
Veteran

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:18 am

Maybe they are.

Clovis
Veteran

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:01 am

No reason to say anything at all.

clevelandrams
Veteran

Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:30 am

Rammer wrote:

LOLOL they are handling it just fine. the point is to make you gossip over pointless crap in the off season like loser housewives watching soap operas.

clevelandrams
Veteran

Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:31 am

Safety Blitz wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:41 am
losing credibility with fans isn't a good look
the Rams will dominate the next decade. Gurley isnt needed.

sanbagger
Veteran

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Hmmm....A football team either not giving info on a players injury or directly leaking misinformation which could change peoples thinking of who they may or may not draft....yep, that sounds completely new to me.

HellRam
Veteran

Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:02 pm

It's also possible no one really knows what's up with Gurley's knee. Obviously there is some type of issue. I've seen it mentioned by some fans that think everything is completely fine. I don't buy that. That said it's possible Gurley's knee is degenerating and the Rams don't know the extent of severity or Gurley's abilty to be effective going foward. The whole ordeal really is odd though.

toast49
Veteran

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:42 am

Well Gurley seemed to shut himself down at the end of last season. Missed the final two games then there was the bye so he had about a month off before the Dallas game. He had a limited workload in that Dallas game sharing carries with Anderson, then he couldn't do much the next week against the Saints without much rest. Had two weeks off before the Super Bowl and seemed ok with being on the sidelines a lot of the game. It would seem that the days of him carrying the load in the backfield are over. So do the Rams want to do this by committee or do they want to add a franchise type back in the draft? We'll find out.

Rammer
Veteran

Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:29 am

sanbagger wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:17 pm
Hmmm....A football team either not giving info on a players injury or directly leaking misinformation which could change peoples thinking of who they may or may not draft....yep, that sounds completely new to me.
Nobody ever said it was unprecedented. Lot's of organizations do this crap ...... It didn't help them win a super bowl and won't help them in the draft either.

Idaho_Ram
Veteran

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:34 am

Rammer wrote:
Well, they could just tell the truth. ...... He has a nagging arthritis, inflammation or something that he's trying to work through, we are hoping that he can get back to 100% , Drs say there is a good chance, etc...... whatever it is just say it. Then provide real honest updates as needed. Who would that hurt? .... Sure, it doesn't ease concerns about the knee itself but it stops all the questions for now and gives the team and coach credibility in the future.
I'm probably just naive, but that's how I feel too. He's not answering a simple direct question by a journalist - "do you have arthritis or something degenerative?" Even an answer like, "we're not totally sure what it is. It comes and goes. Flared up at times last season." etc would at lease be an answer. "Nah, man I feel good. All I can do is focus on the future..." is just getting tiresome. But I suppose I get it...kinda.

brasilrams
Veteran

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:45 am

Idaho_Ram wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:34 am
Rammer wrote:
I'm probably just naive, but that's how I feel too. He's not answering a simple direct question by a journalist - "do you have arthritis or something degenerative?" Even an answer like, "we're not totally sure what it is. It comes and goes. Flared up at times last season." etc would at lease be an answer. "Nah, man I feel good. All I can do is focus on the future..." is just getting tiresome. But I suppose I get it...kinda.
I don't. It really frustrates me. Let's is put it this way, without a healthy Gurley our chances to win it all drops at least 50% imo. So to be honest with us fans about this is the least they should do. Mcvay and him do nothing but dodge the questions and answer the same crap. Gurley specifically said the same thing over and over. " Feeling pretty good...taking it day by day ". He said the same crap before the saints game and sb and we all saw that happened. He had 5 and 7 touches ( or something like that). We also know what happened in both games. We beat the saints with the refs help and lost the super bowl.

No Gurley = mediocre offense. I am sorry but I just don't believe Goff can carry it on his shoulders

brasilrams
Veteran

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:51 am

Rammer wrote:
Ramsfan08ny wrote:

Totally agree

Clovis
Veteran

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:01 pm

Some of the fun of the NFL especially this time of year is trying to understand a language without words. The RAMS have no legitimate reason to say anything TG 30. Appease people? That's not a legitimate reason IMO

Idaho_Ram
Veteran

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Clovis wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:01 pm
Some of the fun of the NFL especially this time of year is trying to understand a language without words. The RAMS have no legitimate reason to say anything TG 30. Appease people? That's not a legitimate reason IMO
I do agree with this. They don't have an obligation to say anything, and really there's nothing gained by publicly admitting to a hobbled TG30....but it IS very annoying to not know the truth.

Rate this topic