20% Discount For Rams Fans

Rookie role analysis: Henderson could be a wild card for Rams offense

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
RamBill
Hall of Famer

Tue May 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Rookie role analysis: Henderson could be a wild card for Rams offense

The Rams have been one of league’s top offensive teams since head coach Sean McVay arrived in 2017. But there’s one role Los Angeles hasn’t had in the first two years of McVay's tenure: a change-of-pace back.

As general manager Les Snead said on draft night, the Rams signed running back Lance Dunbar back in 2017 with the idea that he could play that position. But Dunbar’s knee wasn’t quite healthy enough for him to heavily contribute that year. Snead also mentioned the Rams had plans to draft a running back to fill this kind of role in 2018, but he was off the board before L.A. could pick him.

But now that we’ve reached 2019, enter running back Darrell Henderson — who seems to be exactly the big-play threat McVay and the rest of the club has been looking for.

Go to Full Article--
https://www.therams.com/news/rookie-rol ... ms-offense

Rams News Now!
Get the Latest Rams News, Updated 24/7 Here:
Twitter : https://twitter.com/#!/RamsNewsNow
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RamsNews/

CierraRam
Veteran

Tue May 07, 2019 6:06 pm

This article identifies exactly what I had been saying the Ram offense did lack starting with the Chiefs game and what Hill could do. Emphasized again in the Bear game with Cohen and then Kamara always came to mind there after. Thinking "Damn" if the Rams had that kind of a guy they couldn't be stopped. And now it seems that they have that guy.... STAY TUNED .... this is going to be A LOT of fun!!

Cornell29
Veteran

Tue May 07, 2019 6:11 pm

The article says the rams wanted a xhange of pace back in 2018 draft. I wonder if they wanted ito smith?

rong
Veteran

Tue May 07, 2019 6:22 pm

If he's that dynamic, I wonder if he will line up at WR like Marshall Faulk did, that would give defenses fits.....catching passes out of the backfield etc.

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 4:50 am

CierraRam wrote:
This article identifies exactly what I had been saying the Ram offense did lack starting with the Chiefs game and what Hill could do. Emphasized again in the Bear game with Cohen and then Kamara always came to mind there after. Thinking "Damn" if the Rams had that kind of a guy they couldn't be stopped. And now it seems that they have that guy.... STAY TUNED .... this is going to be A LOT of fun!!
It could also explain why the Rams did not go after a TE. The ball can only be spread around so much.

CierraRam
Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 5:47 am

Jack85Youngblood wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:50 am
CierraRam wrote:
It could also explain why the Rams did not go after a TE. The ball can only be spread around so much.
Right.... In my mind a TE route is more predictable for a defense to diagnose and cover. Guys like the above line up all over the place. A real Joker. And these guys have route running ability with speed to burn. Match up nightmares. Look how effective Kamara has been with only Thomas at WR in New Orleans. Cohen too with limited other options. Then you look at how Hill exploded with all the weapons KC has. The Rams actually have more at WR than KC. Henderson caught a lot of passes so he has the hands, speed and concept understanding of a passing game out of college. And of course McVay scheming him..... EXCITING .....

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Wed May 08, 2019 7:38 am

Why the Rams are a perfect fit for Darrell Henderson

By: Cameron DaSilva

As good as the Los Angeles Rams’ offense has been the last two seasons, Sean McVay and Les Snead want to take it to new heights in 2019. On the second day of the draft, the Rams traded up to No. 70 and selected running back Darrell Henderson out of Memphis.

It was hardly a position of need and it raised additional questions about Todd Gurley’s balky knee, but McVay insists this pick wasn’t about Gurley. It was about Henderson’s ability.

Take a look at these numbers pulled by Mike Renner of PFF, displaying Henderson’s stats on outside zone runs – of which the Rams ran the most of last season.

Mike Renner@PFF_Mike

Rams ran outside zone 217 times during 2018 regular season - 52 more than any other team

Darrell Henderson on outside zone last two years:
53 Attempts
569 Yards
10.7 YPC (led nation)
7.0 YAC/Attempt (led nation)
23 First downs
16 broken tackles

Go to Full Article-
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... son-stats/

Claremontram
Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 8:52 am

I will take a wait-and-see attitude concerning Henderson. His highlights and 8.9 ypc are very impressive. I also was excited when we grabbed Tavon early in the 1st round. I thought his quick twitch and elusiveness would transfer well to the NFL. It did not.

Marshall once said that you are not the same after your first hit in an NFL game. Hope Henderson holds up and delivers.

RamPower
Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 9:38 am

I loved the Henderson addition. But for me, he's not really the X-factor, the X-factor is more our O-line. The NFL isn't the American Athletic Conf. The NFL is about SPEED everywhere. Henderson had success after contact in college obviously (beyond speed), but again, this is the NFL. Our O-line has to produce for him.

I actually think McVay/scheme has been a big reason for our O-line's success…but this is still a different O-line to some degree of course, so…

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Wed May 08, 2019 2:26 pm

After we drafted Henderson,,,,

I reviewed his tape,,,,

Boy, did I like what I saw....

For getting this RB in the 3rd round,,,

it's going to be like the Saints getting Kamara in the 3rd round... IMO
Last edited by 69RamFan on Fri May 10, 2019 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Fri May 10, 2019 8:03 am

Les Snead: Darrell Henderson gives Rams 'Kamara element' at RB

There’s been no lack of speculation or concern about Todd Gurley’s knee, which was compounded by Les Snead saying the Los Angeles Rams will likely limit his workload in an attempt to keep him fresher for the future. To cause even greater panic, the Rams traded up to select Memphis running back Darrell Henderson at No. 70 overall in the draft.

They view him as a change-of-pace player behind Gurley, and on the latest episode of “Behind the Grind,” Snead and Sean McVay made it very clear how highly they think of Henderson. McVay even floated the idea of drafting the running back at No. 63 overall, seven picks before he was actually taken.

“The Memphis guy does give you a Kamara element. I won’t get off of that, won’t say it, we’ll play against him and you’ll feel it,” Snead said.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... a-element/

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Tue May 14, 2019 8:35 pm

Darrell Henderson's college coach raves about RB's fit with Rams

At first glance, the thought of drafting a running back in the third round seemed like a crazy idea with Gurley in the mix. But after watching Henderson play and examining how he fits with the Rams, it’s easy to get excited about him joining the backfield.

He thrived in Memphis’ outside zone scheme, averaging 8.9 yards per carry in each of the last two years. The Rams run outside zone more than any team in the NFL, which makes this a great match.

Henderson’s college coach, Mike Norvell, doesn’t think the running back could’ve landed with a better team.

“I don’t know if there’s a better fit in the NFL for him than the Rams,” Norvell told Ryan Kartje of the OC Register.

Go to Full Article--
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... coach-fit/

oldnotdead
Bench Warmer

Thu May 16, 2019 4:04 am

It's not about being a position of need. It's how his skill set allows the offense to expand. This reminds me of when the Chargers drafted Darren Sproles. People were saying exactly the same things about that too. The Chargers already had a future HOF RB in Tomlinson. But the specific skill set that Sproles brought to that offense changed it tremendously. It didn't stop Tomlinson from continuing his HOF career but it added a new dimension that the defense had to defend. Stop and think about how this team loves the jet sweep action. Well with Henderson running that motion it brings a whole new level of threat to the defense. They have to account for it in a whole new way and it will make the play action off of it even more effective. He's the kind of RB that can take it the distant on that type of action. The defense MUST honor it in a way they didn't last season.

This draft pick was about expanding the offense, not replacing Gurley. They have Brown for that. But Brown can't give them what Henderson does. Brown will rotate in to rest Gurley, and Henderson will play regardless of either Brown or Gurley. This was an outstanding pick for that reason IMO.

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Fri May 17, 2019 8:07 pm

Darrell Henderson among 40 players attending NFLPA Rookie Premiere

Darrell Henderson wasn’t the Los Angeles Rams’ top pick in the 2019 draft, but he’ll be the one representing his new team at the NFLPA Rookie Premiere over the weekend. The annual gathering of top rookies is being held in Los Angeles and Henderson is among the 40 players in attendance.

This is the first business and marketing event for many of the top rookies in the league as they get a taste of what it’s like to be a professional athlete. Over the weekend, players will do photoshoots for Panini trading cards and be suited up in their teams’ official jerseys for the first time.

Go to Full Article--
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... henderson/

Henderson is already in Los Angeles with his agent, Leigh Steinberg, sharing this photo on Twitter Friday.

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Sun May 19, 2019 2:24 pm

Darrell Henderson: Rams 'best system I could get in'

In the aftermath of Super Bowl LIII and Todd Gurley's slowdown at the end of the 2018 season, the Los Angeles Rams opted not to find another backup running back to boost the ground game in free agency. Instead, L.A. waited until the draft, specifically the third round, to grab their next tailback, Darrell Henderson.

An undersized speedster out of Memphis, Henderson already feels at home with the Rams.

"If you go back and watch my college film and you watch the Rams film, it's the same," Henderson told the Los Angeles Times this week. "I thought that was the best system I could get in. So everything worked out great. When I was talking to them, everything was clicking and we developed a relationship. The coaches told me they knew they were going to get me so it was the perfect fit."

Go to Full Article
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... uld-get-in

Rate this topic