PFF down on Rams' revamped O-line, ranked L.A. 13th in NFL

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
RamBill
Hall of Famer

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:54 pm

PFF down on Rams' revamped O-line, ranked L.A. 13th in NFL

In fact, PFF recently ranked every offensive line entering this season and put the Rams 13th, projecting rookie Bobby Evans to start at left guard.

Either rookie Bobby Evans or 2018 third-rounder Joseph Noteboom will step in for Rodger Saffold at guard, and 2018 fourth-rounder Brian Allen is expected to replace longtime veteran John Sullivan at center. None of the three youngsters have played significant snaps in the NFL, but all of them earned high marks at the collegiate level. Noteboom earned a 77.0 overall grade and a 91.6 pass-blocking grade in his last year with TCU, and Allen earned 81.0-plus overall grades in each of his last three seasons at Michigan State. Evans, a third-round pick in this year’s draft, earned a 72.3 overall grade at left tackle in 2018 and an 86.2 overall grade at right tackle in 2017.
PFF expresses optimism in the returning starters of Whitworth, Havenstein and right guard Austin Blythe, but the holes at center and left guard are glaring in the analysts’ eyes. The Rams don’t see it that way, showing confidence in the two second-year O-linemen.

Go to Full Article--
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... -rams-pff/

Mike Schad 1st Rd
Starter

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Actually not a BAD ranking. Headline a little misleading. 13th remains above League Average, and the lower ranking is to be expected with 2 First-Year starters.

Proud supporter of Los Angeles/St. Louis/Los Angeles Ram Football since 1974 in the Garden spot of America, Beautiful Brooklyn, NY...

Claremontram
Veteran

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Our weal link remains C and Gs. We won't know until Preseason which way the wind in blowing.

brasilrams
Veteran

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:23 pm

It won't be hard to our new center perform better than Sullivan...he was really bad last year. The biggest question mark is safold's replacement. Safold was just too damn good...gonna be hard for his replacement to play at his level.

HellRam
Veteran

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:34 am

brasilrams wrote:
It won't be hard to our new center perform better than Sullivan...he was really bad last year. The biggest question mark is safold's replacement. Safold was just too damn good...gonna be hard for his replacement to play at his level.
Saffold is definitely the big loss of the off-season. I like Noteboom, we will see how this all pans out.

Wildflecken
Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:29 am

HellRam wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:34 am
brasilrams wrote:
Saffold is definitely the big loss of the off-season. I like Noteboom, we will see how this all pans out.
Sullivan was an adequate run blocking center in 2018, in fact if not for a phantom holding call on him in the third quarter of the Super Bowl (and it was a phantom call, solid block by Sully) quite possible Rams offense gets rolling in Super Bowl as they had all season. Hold was called on one of Gurley's longest runs of the day.

All of the Rams drafted lineman since the arrival of McVay/Kromer all have one thing in common, they ran block among the best at the college level. 1st year lineman usually make a name for themselves in this league with their run blocking prowess, those that go on to long careers anyway.

No way around it, just cannot replace the experience of a Roger Saffold. Economics is the sole reason for his departure.

Think Rams string of having the same five starting lineman every game under McVay may not be in the works for 2019. Rams have a lot of young lineman who need snaps to improve and for organization to evaluate them

Like Whitworth, I expect Noteboom to begin his career at LOG. He may also slide to LOT on occasion? Noteboom sliding to LOT would serve two purposes, keep Whitworth fresh for playoffs, give Rams a good look to determine if Noteboom is indeed the answer when Andrew hangs them up.

Allen was a dominant run blocker at Michigan State and his departure along that line was felt. I don't expect running down pre snap reads to be an issue for Allen, in fact think it will be a huge upgrade over Sullivan. Allen will need to prove he can indeed pass pro at this level to win starting nod out of camp.

Rams line having a minimum of two 1st year starters is just one of the reasons I believe the 2019 Rams offense will rely more on the run game and see a decrease in the number of times they align in 11 personnel.

GO RAMS!

malibu
Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 am

As one stated economics played an issue with Saffold and age for Sully - don't forget EVERY team has these issue if not on OL it could be anywhere DL, DBs etc.

My point is the Rams overall are a super deep team in all three phases. We maybe a downgrade at OL until they prove otherwise, but we are improved in other areas and our depth now is our strength in comparison to the other 31 teams in the league.

Also a super strong Offense can help a average OL by a strong run/pass game.

I am not worried. When the dust settles my guess we will be a top 5-10 team.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:08 am

Btw... I’m wondering if Bobby Evans may surprise and end up in that RG spot at some point this season. He was appreciably better on right side in college and looks perfectly suited.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

zackn
Starter

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:31 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Btw... I’m wondering if Bobby Evans may surprise and end up in that RG spot at some point this season. He was appreciably better on right side in college and looks perfectly suited.
Longterm that might not surprise me.

BTW Evans is kind of physically similar to a former Kromer star, the great Saints OG Jahri Evans (who coincidentally was also a 4th round pick who played left tackle in college).

But I also have a feeling that they really do believe in and stick by the whole "redshirt year" thing with linemen. So if they are going to start a different guard, and if they like Demby, I think his year of experience in the pros (though not always with the Rams) could count in his favor.

Just a thought.

Clovis
Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:23 pm

I don't take seriously ANY summer time ranking of a unit that has yet to step on the field. Last year's OL played fantastic for the most part but the OL was suspect and we saw it in the big game. I'm thinking OL improvement has been a goal of the RAMS this off season.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:21 pm

zackn wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Dick84 wrote:
Longterm that might not surprise me.

BTW Evans is kind of physically similar to a former Kromer star, the great Saints OG Jahri Evans (who coincidentally was also a 4th round pick who played left tackle in college).

But I also have a feeling that they really do believe in and stick by the whole "redshirt year" thing with linemen. So if they are going to start a different guard, and if they like Demby, I think his year of experience in the pros (though not always with the Rams) could count in his favor.

Just a thought.

I think the odds definitely favor the "redshirt" thing and Demby, you're certainly not off at all in pointing that out.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Wildflecken
Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:23 pm

Dick84 wrote:
You might be on to something here Dick, Evans technique was viewed by many scouts as a day one starter potential. Do we see Blythe at Center in that scenario or?

Think Snead nailed draft last two seasons with the picks he spent on offensive lineman. Despite this I still have some reservations if Rams decide to have all three interior spots manned by 1st year starters. In McVay/Kromer we trust I assume. If they deem them ready, then ready they will be

Rate this topic