Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
zackn
Starter

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:44 pm

HellRam
Veteran

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:33 am

Won't shock me if Henderson has a better ypc then Gurley this season.

Claremontram
Veteran

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:42 pm

Nice video, thanks for posting it. I'm trying not to get my hopes up over Henderson; I carry too much Tavon baggage.

Nevertheless, he could be deadly.

STL Woody
Starter

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:39 pm

I am really excited about keeping all of the backs legs fresh deep into the year. McVay came here with a two headed monster vision. The only thing Tavon Austin ever really thrived at was the jet / fly sweep.

I really expect that to be a new dynamic with Henderson. I think TG30 will be fine on a pitch count and Henderson and Brown will keep the ball rolling.

I also think having two different style runners will help the O-line. The Opposing D will have to think about who’s in the back field and not be able to play fast.

zackn
Starter

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:15 am

STL Woody wrote:
. The only thing Tavon Austin ever really thrived at was the jet / fly sweep.
TA was basically a running back in college, and he never became a solid pro receiver in the NFL.. His best year was 2015 when they used him as a hybrid to run designed plays. He was never really either a true back or a true receiver.

As a runner he did not have the vision, contact balance, strength, and instincts you need to be considered a real NFL back.

Henderson has all of that stuff, plus other things you find in a real back (like power for his size). Nor is he as small as Tavon (5'7 180). Henderson at 5'8 208 is solid and low built. His size is similar to other pure backs like Jones-Drew, Warren Dunn , Stump Mitchell, Ray Rice, Joe Morris, and for that matter Barry Sanders (though Henderson is not Sanders of course). Actually Henderson weighs more than most of those guys did.

Henderson's physical and mental skills as a true RB are light years above Tavon. Tavon was a fast offensive football hybrid with no real positional skill base. Henderson is a true pure back.

Wildflecken
Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:03 am

STL Woody wrote:
I am really excited about keeping all of the backs legs fresh deep into the year. McVay came here with a two headed monster vision. The only thing Tavon Austin ever really thrived at was the jet / fly sweep.

I really expect that to be a new dynamic with Henderson. I think TG30 will be fine on a pitch count and Henderson and Brown will keep the ball rolling.

I also think having two different style runners will help the O-line. The Opposing D will have to think about who’s in the back field and not be able to play fast.
Great Observation Woody. The more an offense can give the opposing defense to game plan against, the better their odds on game day.

Gurley remains the best running back in the entire league, but even teams having this luxury need to present the opposing defense with a change of pace. It is my take Malcolm Brown has a prominent role in the 2019 offense in addition to Gurley and Henderson.

Last year I was calling for the Rams to let Malcolm close out games they entered quarter 4 with a comfortable lead, preserving Gurley for later in the season. In 2019, I expect Malcolm to get the opportunity to do just that. Brown is a powerful runner, a true 4yds and cloud of dust.

If Henderson takes this league by storm in similar fashion as Gurley did his rookie campaign, Rams may have the best backfield in all of football in 2019. Not a big deal? Well the team in 2018 with the most talent out of the backfield won the Super Bowl by the narrowest of margins

GO RAMS!

Rate this topic