Todd Gurley: 'I'm Not Going to B---h' About Lack of Touches with Rams

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
UplandRam
Site Admin

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:47 pm

The newest running back for the Atlanta Falcons isn't sweating all the drama that surrounded his 2019 season. In fact, Todd Gurley seems ready to move on from it all.

Speaking to Chris Long on his Green Light podcast, Gurley wasn't going to spend too much time re-litigating how many touches he was given with the Los Angeles Rams last season.

"I try not to press the issue about nothing, so that's just kind of, just sit back and do my job," Gurley told Long via ESPN's Vaughn McClure. "Like it's not my job to tell who to give me the ball, so if it happens, it happens. I'm not going to b---h about anything. I'm just going to keep quiet and do my part. But when I get the ball, you know I'm going to do good with it for the most part, especially when stuff is going good. But I don't know what happened, man. All I know is I'm with the Falcons now."

Gurley ran the ball 33 fewer times in 2019 than he did in 2018 despite playing one more game. After racking up more than 1,200 yards in back-to-back seasons, the tailback finished with a career-low 857 yards last year, though he made it into the end zone 12 times.

The Rams released the 25-year-old last week, avoiding having to pay $10.5 million that was guaranteed on his contract. Gurley quipped on Twitter that he got fired on his day off, referencing the film Friday. Still, he told Long the move was a surprise.

"I didn't see it coming, but obviously I've seen the process over the years, so I understand the business and I understand how it goes," Gurley said. "But I'm also the same type of person like when someone else is getting cut, I'm joking on them. So I can't get mad if somebody jokes on me. I joke on myself all the time. If you knew me, you know that's me. And it's all jokes. It's some truth to every little joke."

The Falcons didn't waste much time hiring the running back. They gave him a one-year, $6 million deal that will allow him to re-establish himself as one of the top tailbacks in the league.

If he can do that, he'll be in line for a major payday. One of the knocks on Gurley this free agency was that he's still recovering from a knee injury. Proving that he's healthy, let alone that he can play at a high level, will be a major factor in grading his upcoming season.

Yet that may work out in the Falcons favor. With the NFC South looking like arguably the toughest division in the NFL this season—the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New Orleans Saints made major upgrades—having a workhorse like Gurley in the backfield could be a major boon.

That'll require handing him the ball, something the Rams weren't as keen on doing before moving on from the 2015 10th overall pick.

Rammer
Pro-bowler

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:54 am

UplandRam wrote:
The newest running back for the Atlanta Falcons isn't sweating all the drama that surrounded his 2019 season. In fact, Todd Gurley seems ready to move on from it all.

Speaking to Chris Long on his Green Light podcast, Gurley wasn't going to spend too much time re-litigating how many touches he was given with the Los Angeles Rams last season.

"I try not to press the issue about nothing, so that's just kind of, just sit back and do my job," Gurley told Long via ESPN's Vaughn McClure. "Like it's not my job to tell who to give me the ball, so if it happens, it happens. I'm not going to b---h about anything. I'm just going to keep quiet and do my part. But when I get the ball, you know I'm going to do good with it for the most part, especially when stuff is going good. But I don't know what happened, man. All I know is I'm with the Falcons now."

Gurley ran the ball 33 fewer times in 2019 than he did in 2018 despite playing one more game. After racking up more than 1,200 yards in back-to-back seasons, the tailback finished with a career-low 857 yards last year, though he made it into the end zone 12 times.

The Rams released the 25-year-old last week, avoiding having to pay $10.5 million that was guaranteed on his contract. Gurley quipped on Twitter that he got fired on his day off, referencing the film Friday. Still, he told Long the move was a surprise.

"I didn't see it coming, but obviously I've seen the process over the years, so I understand the business and I understand how it goes," Gurley said. "But I'm also the same type of person like when someone else is getting cut, I'm joking on them. So I can't get mad if somebody jokes on me. I joke on myself all the time. If you knew me, you know that's me. And it's all jokes. It's some truth to every little joke."

The Falcons didn't waste much time hiring the running back. They gave him a one-year, $6 million deal that will allow him to re-establish himself as one of the top tailbacks in the league.

If he can do that, he'll be in line for a major payday. One of the knocks on Gurley this free agency was that he's still recovering from a knee injury. Proving that he's healthy, let alone that he can play at a high level, will be a major factor in grading his upcoming season.

Yet that may work out in the Falcons favor. With the NFC South looking like arguably the toughest division in the NFL this season—the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New Orleans Saints made major upgrades—having a workhorse like Gurley in the backfield could be a major boon.

That'll require handing him the ball, something the Rams weren't as keen on doing before moving on from the 2015 10th overall pick.

What is he talking about Re litigating? - this guy didn't say a word it the whole time. One minute, he was the mvp of the team and then all of a sudden he wasn't. Not a word from him, he just collected his huge paycheck. I think that was his biggest problem. If he just had the right attitude about this, I think he would still be here.

Atlanta is different. They won't be counting on him to be their mvp. He will be just one of the guys there. Maybe this is what he needs.

eas-rams
Starter

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:04 am

Rammer wrote:
UplandRam wrote:

What is he talking about Re litigating? - this guy didn't say a word it the whole time. One minute, he was the mvp of the team and then all of a sudden he wasn't. Not a word from him, he just collected his huge paycheck. I think that was his biggest problem. If he just had the right attitude about this, I think he would still be here.

Atlanta is different. They won't be counting on him to be their mvp. He will be just one of the guys there. Maybe this is what he needs.

While Henderson was a rookie last year that didn't really make an impact go back and watch some of his runs and compare them to Gurley... It's night and day - Henderson had explosion through the hole and was physical. Gurley was slow with no ability to cut or change direction. I believe Gurley had only one run over 20 yards last year. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS - Gurley was cut because McVay and Snead didn't believe he could help them win football games.

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:31 am

Reading anything about Gurley just makes me sad at this point. He was the engine that ran the offense. He was awesome. A workhorse touchdown machine that was a threat to score from anywhere on the field. Sadly, most running backs flame out after a few years in the NFL. I want to believe that his knee has just let him down. It's a shame; and I wish him the best. The Rams will not be the same. I'm not convinced on Henderson. He's about 3/4s the size of Gurley. We will see.

armyram
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:48 am

Rammer wrote:
UplandRam wrote:

What are you going on about? What attitude? He wasn’t the only one collecting a big paycheck and not doing shit last year... take a look at Goff. How much noise did Goff make... none. He allowed the coach to due his job, good or bad and played ball. That’s what Gurley did BUT he has an attitude.

Ramsfan08ny
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:51 am

Jack85Youngblood wrote:
Reading anything about Gurley just makes me sad at this point. He was the engine that ran the offense. He was awesome. A workhorse touchdown machine that was a threat to score from anywhere on the field. Sadly, most running backs flame out after a few years in the NFL. I want to believe that his knee has just let him down. It's a shame; and I wish him the best. The Rams will not be the same. I'm not convinced on Henderson. He's about 3/4s the size of Gurley. We will see.
We'll have to wait and see. While Henderson IS much smaller than Gurley, he still has the ability to break tackles, and he can hit the holes and break away. Henderson is not a dwarf. He's still about the same size as Faulk was when he played. I'm anxious to see what he can do.

Cornell29
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:04 am

Ramsfan08ny wrote:
Jack85Youngblood wrote:
We'll have to wait and see. While Henderson IS much smaller than Gurley, he still has the ability to break tackles, and he can hit the holes and break away. Henderson is not a dwarf. He's still about the same size as Faulk was when he played. I'm anxious to see what he can do.
Agreed

Despite being smaller than TG, DH broke more tackles per a carry than TG.
DH is only 5-8 but is 208 pounds. That many pounds at a low center of gravity is hard for taller defenders to bring down.

Rammer
Pro-bowler

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:40 am

armyram wrote:
Rammer wrote:
UplandRam wrote:

What are you going on about? What attitude? He wasn’t the only one collecting a big paycheck and not doing shit last year... take a look at Goff. How much noise did Goff make... none. He allowed the coach to due his job, good or bad and played ball. That’s what Gurley did BUT he has an attitude.
Hmm- what atittude? I cannot believe that some of you are still in denial over this. It made absolutely no financial sense to get rid of Gurley this year. You all said it to me and Brasil- a million times and I agree with that. It is obvious. But like I predicted, they cut him anyway. If this doesn't prove that I was right and there was another problem besides the knee -
I give up.

Let's compare though,

Goff showed showed up to every game. Whether he played well or not, he was up there like a man, answering questions.You could see him working with the coaching staff each and every day.

Gurley- Didn't show up to every game. During a super bowl run, he missed considerable playing time and didn't even feel the need to say shit about it or else would flat out lie or make the coaches do it for him. The next season -same thing. He needed reduced touches but he put the onus on the coaches to explain that to us. . Without being able of course to say anything because of HIPPA rules. Gurley himself, would make twitter texts like he was still the same and just fine. All this going on and Gurley was the one that looked unhappy and pouting. It should have been McVay who had to stand up there and lie for him.

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:52 am

Cornell29 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:04 am
Ramsfan08ny wrote:
Jack85Youngblood wrote:
Agreed

Despite being smaller than TG, DH broke more tackles per a carry than TG.
DH is only 5-8 but is 208 pounds. That many pounds at a low center of gravity is hard for taller defenders to bring down.
I'm hoping you guys are right. If people start comparing Henderson to Faulk, then the right move was made.

ocram23
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:14 am

I don't see anything wrong with his comments. what the hell do you guys expect him to say? he can't force mcvay to give him the ball.

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:26 am

eas-rams wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:04 am
Rammer wrote:
UplandRam wrote:

While Henderson was a rookie last year that didn't really make an impact go back and watch some of his runs and compare them to Gurley... It's night and day - Henderson had explosion through the hole and was physical. Gurley was slow with no ability to cut or change direction. I believe Gurley had only one run over 20 yards last year. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS - Gurley was cut because McVay and Snead didn't believe he could help them win football games.
Exactly

armyram
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:39 am

Rammer wrote:
armyram wrote:
Rammer wrote:

Hmm- what atittude? I cannot believe that some of you are still in denial over this. It made absolutely no financial sense to get rid of Gurley this year. You all said it to me and Brasil- a million times and I agree with that. It is obvious. But like I predicted, they cut him anyway. If this doesn't prove that I was right and there was another problem besides the knee -
I give up.

Let's compare though,

Goff showed showed up to every game. Whether he played well or not, he was up there like a man, answering questions.You could see him working with the coaching staff each and every day.

Gurley- Didn't show up to every game. During a super bowl run, he missed considerable playing time and didn't even feel the need to say shit about it or else would flat out lie or make the coaches do it for him. The next season -same thing. He needed reduced touches but he put the onus on the coaches to explain that to us. . Without being able of course to say anything because of HIPPA rules. Gurley himself, would make twitter texts like he was still the same and just fine. All this going on and Gurley was the one that looked unhappy and pouting. It should have been McVay who had to stand up there and lie for him.
Maybe I should of put it better, his response you posted didn’t have a bad attitude. As for the season, IMO, his attitude was justified. He wasn’t being used correctly and McVay didn’t lie for anyone, he even stated he was an idiot for not using him. Then still doesn’t use him. I believe we could of win at least 2 more games if McVay would of used Gurley correctly or hell, any of the RBs. I guarantee all the RBs were disgruntled. Goff, ...a man? Lol, talk about over paid. The man is still being spoon fed. Every time he runs off the field he runs right to McVay. Is it possible Gurleys “bad attitude “ might be the fault of McVay? Once again, reminds me of OBrien/Hopkins bs.

ocram23
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:18 pm

armyram wrote:
Rammer wrote:
armyram wrote:

I give up.

Let's compare though,

Maybe I should of put it better, his response you posted didn’t have a bad attitude. As for the season, IMO, his attitude was justified. He wasn’t being used correctly and McVay didn’t lie for anyone, he even stated he was an idiot for not using him. Then still doesn’t use him. I believe we could of win at least 2 more games if McVay would of used Gurley correctly or hell, any of the RBs. I guarantee all the RBs were disgruntled. Goff, ...a man? Lol, talk about over paid. The man is still being spoon fed. Every time he runs off the field he runs right to McVay. Is it possible Gurleys “bad attitude “ might be the fault of McVay? Once again, reminds me of OBrien/Hopkins bs.
of course it's the fault of mcvay. what would you do??? you are the captain and one of the best rb's in the league, at least from the year before prior to the injury, and your coach keeps giving BS excuses why he isn't giving you the ball. it was totally mishandled by mcvay and snead. I think he just got fed up like most competitors would.

Cornell29
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:20 pm

ocram23 wrote:
armyram wrote:
Rammer wrote:

I give up.

Let's compare though,

of course it's the fault of mcvay. what would you do??? you are the captain and one of the best rb's in the league, at least from the year before prior to the injury, and your coach keeps giving BS excuses why he isn't giving you the ball. it was totally mishandled by mcvay and snead. I think he just got fed up like most competitors would.
What does Snead have to do with how many time TG gets the ball on gameday?

ocram23
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:27 pm

Cornell29 wrote:
ocram23 wrote:
armyram wrote:

I knew you were going to ask that. I think mcvay and snead work so closely together there was a plan not to use gurley. I think this was a dual decision. I know most people won't agree with this but I think snead was involved. I know gurley is gone but I just don't understand the handling of him. I don't agree with the opinion that he was a cancer. I do believe he was not the same player he used to be but he was still the best alternative at rb. just my opinion.

Rammer
Pro-bowler

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:41 pm

ocram23 wrote:
armyram wrote:
Rammer wrote:

I give up.

Let's compare though,

BS excuses? I guess this is where we aren't seeing eye to eye. Why wasn't he getting touches? You think it's McVay. I am thinking that this came from 100% from Gurley's camp- McVay was being told that he had to cut back on Gurley, limit his touches, etc. Also, McVay was not given permission to discuss Gurley's legally "private" medical information.
So it is McVay that was in a lose lose situation. Maybe I am wrong about that but what other reason for McVay to not use Gurley after relying on him so much before that?. What other reason for the weirdness of his answers at press conferences? Or Gurley's silence?

ocram23
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Rammer wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:41 pm
ocram23 wrote:
armyram wrote:

BS excuses? I guess this is where we aren't seeing eye to eye. Why wasn't he getting touches? You think it's McVay. I am thinking that this came from 100% from Gurley's camp- McVay was being told that he had to cut back on Gurley, limit his touches, etc. Also, McVay was not given permission to discuss Gurley's legally "private" medical information.
So it is McVay that was in a lose lose situation. Maybe I am wrong about that but what other reason for McVay to not use Gurley after relying on him so much before that?. What other reason for the weirdness of his answers at press conferences? Or Gurley's silence?
so you think gurley said don't give me the ball??? come on. gurley wanted to be on the field he's an alpha pro athlete. it's an ego thing as well. this did not come from gurley this was all on mcvay. there was definitely a riff between both camps but at the end mvcay made the choice.

Cornell29
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:02 pm

ocram23 wrote:
Cornell29 wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

I knew you were going to ask that. I think mcvay and snead work so closely together there was a plan not to use gurley. I think this was a dual decision. I know most people won't agree with this but I think snead was involved. I know gurley is gone but I just don't understand the handling of him. I don't agree with the opinion that he was a cancer. I do believe he was not the same player he used to be but he was still the best alternative at rb. just my opinion.
Wouldnt Snead want TG to succeed since he played a role into getting TG that huge contract?

ocram23
Veteran

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:13 pm

Cornell29 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:02 pm
ocram23 wrote:
Cornell29 wrote:

Wouldnt Snead want TG to succeed since he played a role into getting TG that huge contract?
good question I don't know but I could say the same thing with mcvay. mcvay was a part of his contract and still didn't play him

Rate this topic
  • Information