Ignoring O line was Irresponsible

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
Safety Blitz
Pro-bowler

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:23 am

I'm all for giving players time to adjust to the NFL but not addressing the situation with the pathetic o line seems obtuse and destructive.

Like the Akers pick though but the Jefferson pick was a problem. Remember how the o line was whipped game in and game out.

The myth that the oline played well towards the end of the season is disturbingly false.

"In McVay We Trust!"

Cornell29
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:27 am

Safety Blitz wrote:
I'm all for giving players time to adjust to the NFL but not addressing the situation with the pathetic o line seems obtuse and destructive.

Like the Akers pick through but the Jefferson pick was a problem.
Not if you feel that the rams have enough youth on the ol already, with Edward's, Evan's, Noteboom and Colbert.
More likely the rams will find a veteran Center, like they did with John Sullivan.

Safety Blitz
Pro-bowler

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:38 am

Vet required@save the rams

"In McVay We Trust!"

MissouriRamsFan
Starter

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:40 am

Safety Blitz wrote:

Like the Akers pick though but the Jefferson pick was a problem. Remember how the o line was whipped game in and game out.

The myth that the oline played well towards the end of the season is disturbingly false.
I guess you forgot about the injuries huh?

harkin
Pro-bowler

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:06 am

You can tell it was irresponsible just from the way the sunshine pumpers are now saying:

‘If these negative nancys had their way, every pick would be OL!’

It’s like doubling down on stupidity.

No - we didn’t want OLine w every pick, what we wanted was addressing glaring team needs, which wasn’t only OLine.

All we wanted was some more depth (and healthy bodies) on an O-Line that was second worst last season and oh yeah attempts to provide pass protection for a good QB who isn’t the greatest at extending plays....

....and oh yeah open holes for RBs a bit better than the brutal fail that was 2019.

zackn
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:26 am

Not counting Demby, they have 9 OL on the roster right now who took snaps last year, which is 6 more than in August 2018 (AW, Blythe, & Hav are the vets, and the newbies are NB, Allen, Cobert, Evans, Edwards, Brewer). They have that many candidates for starting spots because in 2018 and 2019, they were busy drafting ahead for an OL transition.

So the Rams have not ignored the OL--they addressed it far more than they ever have in the past (never before have they drafted and/or traded for 5 OL in 2 years that way). Some were finds too, like Evans and Edwards.

It makes perfect sense to sort out and develop what they have and to focus on other needs.

Essentially what they did was fill the spots vacated by their 4 biggest losses--Gurley, Cooks, Fowler, and Robey-Coleman. That's a perfectly valid strategy.

malibu
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:39 am

I have to agree with the OP on this one. One our two biggest problems was the oline and more specifically the run blocking.

Someone said we forget the injuries. Sure, but the last 5 games the line was fully in tact with players not Big Rob, but in tact.

What I saw was in the pass game - Goff constantly needing to roll out not on purpose, but to avoid the rush. I saw McVay keeping 1-2 extra guys in every pass play instead of 2017 & 2018 keeping no TE or back in or maybe one on non long developing plays. Pass protection even though Goff was the second least sacked QB that is a misleading stat.

As it pertains to the run game the only stat you need to know is in 2017 & 2018 our RBs were NOT touched before 3' before first contact by defense which was top 2 both years. Last year it was 6" before first contact. That was 4th worst in the league. That tells you the line has no punch was not firing off the ball and basically overmatched. Gurley (maybe he was hurt) was 1.1 yards less per carry than previous years.

Lastly when you look at Goff's TD to Int ratio there is no comparison to previous years. Some want to get down on Goff I dare you to put even any of the great QBs with that line and they too would struggle. I guess you would say Goff struggled or regressed, bullshit he is a true pocket passer and given the line time he is super accurate and deadly. Which translates he needs a better line in front of him especially the interior.

When you look at all the stats above it is abundantly clear the line is the problem and not addressing the interior albeit except for the 250th pick was criminal. It is the same line as last year that was ranked 31st overall by PFF. Maybe this year the pass protection is a little better, but the Run game will still be non existent especially now we are counting on two completely unproven backs. With no new additions how do we expect to improve.

Bad management decisions imo. I understand letting Saffold go due to economics, and Sully not resigning, but to me it is imperative to address this. The draft picks were just wrong imo. Maybe good ones, but I would have made a deal for Fournette it would of cost us 4m+, it would have a twofold effect, first off he certainly would be a massive upgrade over Akers and also it would have freed up the 52nd pick. I hate the Van Jefferson pick not so much the player even though he could have been had later imo but because we lost that pick as well. We could have gotten 2 stud linemen or one plus a ILB we really needed.

The OP is right this was a big mistake and I hope it doesn't come to bite us in the ass like watching Saffold leaving did.

As you can see I am really passionate about this subject, but stats don't lie and it is not one stat it is a host of them that make a complete picture that the OLINE is a major weakness and should have been addressed. I hope I am wrong.
Last edited by malibu on Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Commish
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:43 am

Cornell29 wrote:

Not if you feel that the rams have enough youth on the ol already, with Edward's, Evan's, Noteboom and Colbert.
More likely the rams will find a veteran Center, like they did with John Sullivan.
That's what I'm anticipating now as well.

Otherwise, presuming that Joseph Noteboom supplants Andrew Whitworth at LT sometime during the upcoming season (if there is one), the Rams would then be left with only Robert Havenstein as an experienced starting O-lineman.

Perhaps that could be too much youthful inexperience... ;) 8-) :geek:

ram pathos...

--The Commish
Last edited by Commish on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

malibu
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:45 am

zackn wrote:
Not counting Demby, they have 9 OL on the roster right now who took snaps last year, which is 6 more than in August 2018 (AW, Blythe, & Hav are the vets, and the newbies are NB, Allen, Cobert, Evans, Edwards, Brewer). They have that many candidates for starting spots because in 2018 and 2019, they were busy drafting ahead for an OL transition.

So the Rams have not ignored the OL--they addressed it far more than they ever have in the past (never before have they drafted and/or traded for 5 OL in 2 years that way). Some were finds too, like Evans and Edwards.

It makes perfect sense to sort out and develop what they have and to focus on other needs.

Essentially what they did was fill the spots vacated by their 4 biggest losses--Gurley, Cooks, Fowler, and Robey-Coleman. That's a perfectly valid strategy.
Yes they may have addressed the line, but none of the recent picks are front line high draft picks outside technically of Corbett (#33rd pick of the Browns). Even he was jettisoned for a 5th rounder and Cleveland hated him literally almost immediately of the first month of practice. Addressing the line with players that are studs vs players that are duds are too completely different end results and no Ram Dan can say the line was not the issue.

malibu
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:47 am

Commish wrote:
Cornell29 wrote:

Otherwise, assuming that Joseph Noteboom supplants Andrew Whitworth at LT sometime during the upcoming season (if there is one), the Rams would then be left with only Robert Havenstein as an experienced starting O-lineman.

ram pathos...

--The Commish
Like who? There were hardly any in FA. The previous couple years more were out on the market this past year were hardly any so what makes you think we will find one.

bigklein
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:53 am

As long as Corbett (and maybe Shelton) can backup Blythe at center, I think that the 2018 and 2019 recruits will be at a new level this year. I wanted Biadasz, but I can see why they have faith in the three OL vets and the young guys brought in since ‘18.

malibu
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:54 am

harkin wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:06 am
You can tell it was irresponsible just from the way the sunshine pumpers are now saying:

‘If these negative nancys had their way, every pick would be OL!’

It’s like doubling down on stupidity.

No - we didn’t want OLine w every pick, what we wanted was addressing glaring team needs, which wasn’t only OLine.

All we wanted was some more depth (and healthy bodies) on an O-Line that was second worst last season and oh yeah attempts to provide pass protection for a good QB who isn’t the greatest at extending plays....

....and oh yeah open holes for RBs a bit better than the brutal fail that was 2019.
Disagree I wanted 2 players a G and C upgrade in the draft. Or Trent Williams, Brandon Scherff, Joe Thuney and we restructure Goff early and we could make it happen.

I like most recognize we have alot of holes, but we could have addressed the OLB, ILB, G, C picks with the top 4 picks with Epenesa/Baun at OLB, Cushenberry/Hunt at C & G, Harrison/Gaithers at IlB. We should have offered a 3th for Founette if they wouldnt take that we get a cheaper street FA, but it would free up 2nd round pick.
Last edited by malibu on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

CierraRam
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:56 am

malibu wrote:
zackn wrote:

Yes they may have addressed the line, but none of the recent picks are front line high draft picks outside technically of Corbett (#33rd pick of the Browns). Even he was jettisoned for a 5th rounder and Cleveland hated him literally almost immediately of the first month of practice. Addressing the line with players that are studs vs players that are duds are too completely different end results and no Ram Dan can say the line was not the issue.
IDk...seems like Corbett played decently enough to me as a Ram. And besides would you put your all in an operation of disfunction such as Cleveland was? Some players operate like that, knowing the cost. A better situation is worth more to them.

CierraRam
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:58 am

zackn wrote:

Im not so sure that Jefferson was a replacement for Cooks so much as he is for Woods in the future.

malibu
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:03 am

CierraRam wrote:
malibu wrote:
zackn wrote:

IDk...seems like Corbett played decently enough to me as a Ram. And besides would you put your all in an operation of disfunction such as Cleveland was? Some players operate like that, knowing the cost. A better situation is worth more to them.
Fine in Pass protection but he is miles from Saffold on run blocking. Simply put to go from the second highest ranked Line to the 31st ranked is all you need to know. If it was a small drop that's one thing this was a monumental drop. Basically it says our line is horrible.

CierraRam
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:09 am

malibu wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:03 am
CierraRam wrote:
malibu wrote:

Fine in Pass protection but he is miles from Saffold on run blocking. Simply put to go from the second highest ranked Line to the 31st ranked is all you need to know. If it was a small drop that's one thing this was a monumental drop. Basically it says our line is horrible.
What I'd like to see is the cumulative PFF grades on the OL for the last four games in particular. Because the fist 6-8 games the OL was a disaster. Im sure a big reason for that 31st position. The line seemed to really stabilize thereafter. Enough for them to effectively move the ball again running a lot more 12P... that despite the run game lacking.

LARAMFAN52
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:12 am

So tell me this

The people who’s jobs are on the line if the team doesn’t win,who saw what happened last year up close,chose not to address the oline until round 7.

Why would they do that knowing the oline sucked last year?
Are they purposely sabotaging the Franchise because they want to lose their jobs and go work elsewhere?
Are they mad at Stan Kroenke and Demond because of the hideous logo and delayed uniform reveal so they gonna draft shitty and drop the mic as they saunter out the back door?
Or do they maybe know something you don’t?Beings as they’re around these players daily and know what’s going on?

Seems to me it’s in Les Sneads best interest that the Rams win now,same for Mcvay,and the rest of the coaching staff

Maybe they know better then you about their jobs?

Safety Blitz
Pro-bowler

Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:12 am

The picks on a Wr and Te were stupid. Neither has definite starter written on his jersey.

"In McVay We Trust!"

Rammer
Pro-bowler

Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:54 am

It’s like deja vu all over again.

Cornell29
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:58 am

Safety Blitz wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:12 am
The picks on a Wr and Te were stupid. Neither has definite starter written on his jersey.
Was picking Rapp last year, despite not haven't definite starter written on his jersey stupid?

Was drafting Kupp a few years back, despite not haven't definite starter written on his jersey stupid?

You may hate the Mcvay and company strategy but they do not draft strictly in what they need for the upcoming season. They draft anywhere from current to a year out.

zackn
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:11 pm

CierraRam wrote:
zackn wrote:

Im not so sure that Jefferson was a replacement for Cooks so much as he is for Woods in the future.

Well Jefferson isn't Cooks, but they lost a receiver and went after a receiver high. That's basically all I meant. They had Cooks and 3 others, then they were down to 3, and Jefferson gets them back to 4. Is he literally identical to Cooks? No...which is interesting in its own right.

CierraRam
Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:23 pm

zackn wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:11 pm
CierraRam wrote:
zackn wrote:

Well Jefferson isn't Cooks, but they lost a receiver and went after a receiver high. That's basically all I meant. They had Cooks and 3 others, then they were down to 3, and Jefferson gets them back to 4. Is he literally identical to Cooks? No...which is interesting in its own right.
From what I have seen, he's Woods with Kupp's route running ability. Not that Woods is a slouch on the route running. Woods is faster than given credit for. We've seen that. It looks like Jefferson is the same way.

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:30 pm

malibu wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:47 am
Commish wrote:
Cornell29 wrote:

Otherwise, assuming that Joseph Noteboom supplants Andrew Whitworth at LT sometime during the upcoming season (if there is one), the Rams would then be left with only Robert Havenstein as an experienced starting O-lineman.

ram pathos...

--The Commish
Like who? There were hardly any in FA. The previous couple years more were out on the market this past year were hardly any so what makes you think we will find one.
Bulaga from GB for starters. also why not trade for Turner. The chargers gave the Jags nothing for a 5 time all pro OG who is only 26 yrs old. both of these guys will have a huge impact on the chargers this year.

Rams_Redemption
Starter

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:31 pm

Safety Blitz wrote:

As others have said. The Rams took the right approach. Injuries just derailed it. They have young guys to develop. Assigning 2 or more rookies and expecting them to be the fix would've been naive.

harkin
Pro-bowler

Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:10 pm

Rams_Redemption wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:31 pm
Assigning 2 or more rookies and expecting them to be the fix would've been naive.

Maybe that’s the answer to why so many say we’re just fine at OL, despite the dumpster fire last season. No one’s going to get hurt, the older veterans will not age and all the younger players will play better.

Drafting a couple O-lineman before the 50th pick of the 7th round would have given the Rams a better pool from which to draw the best available squad to improve the worst-performing unit on the team in 2019.

Here’s hoping the 2020 draft wasn’t a ‘big FU’ to Goff and the rest of the offense.

Rate this topic
  • Information