Will Raiders fans erode LA Rams Home fan base?

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
Safety Blitz
Veteran

Mon May 18, 2020 3:28 pm

Las Vegas Raiders will draw old and new silver and black fans to them. Chargers are a potential drain too. LOCAL tv stations here in LA cover the Raiders as much or more than they do the Rams.

Rams need to win to create a passionate fan base that can provide a home sofi advantage.

FRIG THE CHARGERS AND RAIDERS!

"In McVay We Trust!"

Ramsfan08ny
Veteran

Mon May 18, 2020 5:12 pm

Now this is one topic where I happen to agree with you on. I don't know if our lifetime will ever show a dedicated LA based fan following you see in Dallas, Green Bay, or Pittsburg. The home game vs the 9ers last year was a disgrace. A see if Red in the stands, and Goff had to go to a silent snap count because the majority SF fans were too loud. LA has still got to prove it can be a football loyal fan. If not, it will be an embarrassment of the new state of the art stadium regulatory plays to half empty crowds.

LARAMFAN52
Veteran

Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 pm

LA is a pos town as evidenced by their mayor

They don’t deserve the Rams but they got em

The new stadium will not be empty because of all the oppositions fans snapping up tickets

Claremontram
Veteran

Mon May 18, 2020 5:40 pm

Chargers will eventually crawl back to SD where they belong. The Raiders will sleaze there way into Las Vegas--perfect fit.

LA belongs to the Rams. Count on it.

Claremontram
Veteran

Chargers will eventually crawl back to SD where they belong. The Raiders will sleaze there way into Las Vegas--perfect fit.

DMRamFan
Starter

Mon May 18, 2020 5:53 pm

I for one thought the Rams should of moved back to Orange County. I had read an article not long ago that Orange County has the largest Ram fan base anywhere in So Cal.
Yes, LA is a huge market, but I personally believe if Stan built the complex in OC that’s being built in Inglewood, it may of been a home run. This is up for much debate, for much of what Stan built (includes 70,240-seat stadium, 6,000-seat performance center under one roof that will anchor a 298-acre complex of office buildings, shops, restaurants, residential units, hotels parks, and NFL corporate west coast offices. It’s 3 1/2 times the size of Disneyland and twice as big as Vatican City! Let’s not forget the west coast NFL corporate offices) will serve LA great... but I honesty believe we would of packed out an OC stadium w more RAM FANS, than garbage niner fans (which really pisses me off).

Prove me wrong

Commish
Veteran

Mon May 18, 2020 10:51 pm

Claremontram wrote:

Well, I tend to agree with you about the Chargers--they're not a good fit in Los Angeles, Dean Spanos moved them there mostly for spite, I'd venture.

Given their presence in the 'City of Angels,' the Rams should eventually be able to rebuild their fan base to a considerable degree, however I'm doubtful that they'll ever be as central to L.A.'s sports fandom as teams like the Packers, Bills and Chiefs are to their cities' fans--there's just too much competition from established collegiate athletic programs and pro teams in other sports.

The Raiders haven't played in Los Angeles since 1994, and then it was for only 13 seasons, they may have a few 'hard-core' fans there still, however I can't envision many younger potential fans (the group which our team needs to target) caring very much about a team located in Las Vegas.

"Borrowing trouble," it's always a ridiculous thing to do... :lol: :P :roll:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

Ants
Pro-bowler

Tue May 19, 2020 4:43 am

It doesn't matter. LA is a bad town for pro football. Look, the team already left once. It's a transient state where people focus more on the beach, the movies, the outdoors, etc. It is not a "gritty" city like Pittsburgh, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia...and it's not a "hard working" culture like Green Bay, Cleveland or Dallas. And it's not one of those places where football has a very focused fan base like most of the other teams in the league.
Basically LA is like Tampa and Miami, only worse (football wise).

The LA Rams - Making the NFL Great Again! 8-)

RadRacerRams
Veteran

Tue May 19, 2020 7:46 am

Ants wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:43 am
It doesn't matter. LA is a bad town for pro football. Look, the team already left once. It's a transient state where people focus more on the beach, the movies, the outdoors, etc. It is not a "gritty" city like Pittsburgh, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia...and it's not a "hard working" culture like Green Bay, Cleveland or Dallas. And it's not one of those places where football has a very focused fan base like most of the other teams in the league.
Basically LA is like Tampa and Miami, only worse (football wise).
you don't know sh!t about LA and there fans ... geez we got the Dodgers, Lakers and the Rams we've got the best of all 3 World's ........!!

Go RAMS : there's 10 million people in LA city a loan....... the Rams already have 2 million of them in there pocket.....with in 10 years you can triple that..........!!! more then enough to fill the stadium in Rams gear.......

Claremontram
Veteran

Tue May 19, 2020 8:04 am

Incredible damage was done to the LA Rams fan base by the 21 year hiatus in St. Louis. It will take years to build up that young fan base again and link it to us old-time Ram fans. But I already see it happening. Local TV and Radio and Newspapers are all on board. Rams will become the dominant Sports fixture in Socal. Winning a SB would certainly help move that along.

STL Woody
Veteran

Tue May 19, 2020 8:18 am

I am curious. Honest question ( not being sarcastic) how was the support for the Rams pre St Louis move. If I am not mistaken weren’t they actually in Anaheim CA?

Loyalty over Location...

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Tue May 19, 2020 8:25 am

with the new stadium it will be easier for them to gain some momentum. LA first and foremost is a Lakers and Dodgers town then the Rams. New stadium will definitely help.

Ants
Pro-bowler

Tue May 19, 2020 9:09 am

ocram23 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:25 am
with the new stadium it will be easier for them to gain some momentum. LA first and foremost is a Lakers and Dodgers town then the Rams. New stadium will definitely help.
Exactly.
And as long as the team wins, the "stars" will show up to games to promote themselves and be seen. But if the team loses after a few years in the new stadium?...it's gonna be the Mausileum once again.
Don't give me this crap about "you don't know LA fans, blah, blah, blah." Yeah YOU and about 2000 other "rabid" fans.
And don't give me this crap about Anahiem vs LA, or whatever. IT'S ALL ONE BIG CITY. :roll:

Truth
Bench Warmer

Tue May 19, 2020 10:12 pm

LA is a Dodgers/Lakers town. Always has been and Doubtful the Rams/Chargers will ever have a huge presence there. I think at best the Rams will have a similar fan base as the Dolphins in Miami. I doubt anyone cares about the Chargers or Raiders.

Even if the team is amazing, you’ll never see the type of buzz the 99-01 Rams had in St Louis.

UtahRam
Veteran

Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 pm

All you have to do is look at the shitty LA support the RAMS got when they went to the gotdamn Super Bowl two years ago. All that LA money and the stadium was filled with Pats fans. I've got an idea; lets change our uniforms to some hideous clown costumes and attract all those young fans! LMFAO

harkin
Pro-bowler

Wed May 20, 2020 7:17 am

Winning solves everything but most people just don’t understand what a fickle football town LA is.

Even USC, which has as good a winning tradition as you could ask for, has problems selling tickets when they’re down.

The Rams got off on the right foot after the move with their stunning improvement in the Fisher/McVay transition.

But now they need to establish a winning tradition. The NFC West is three teams all trying to establish a new identity and one (Hags) trying to re-gain recent glory.

As a football fan, you can’t ask for much more. As a Ram fan, it couldn’t be any more difficult.

Beat the Pokes!!

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 am

Part of the problem is a paucity of LA natives. Most people here have moved to LA from some other NFL city. Few switch their loyalty to the Rams. My dad was from Buffalo and even though he moved to LA when he was 19, he remained a Bill's fan (poor soul) to this day. Yet he took me to Rams games and put on a good show of support for the Rams for my benefit.

The old days of the Coliseum had games blacked out because we couldn't sell 100 k tickets to lift the ban. When Georgia the Witch took over and moved the Rams to awful Anaheim many LA natives abandoned the Rams. GEORGIA and Shaw couldn't fill that inferior stadium even though we had Robinson and ED.

THEN the wITCt h goes to STL and many fans hated the Rams. Many returned when Warner and Martz brought us back from a loo g comatose state of perpetual failure.

THE KC game on MNF showed evidence of anew fan base emerging now.

The Raiders captured a large share of the fan base that remains to this day.

A year ago I moved to OC and down here surprisingly I see more people wearing USC gear than those wearing Rams or Chargers gear.

SOFI might give us an additional surge of new Rams fans.

"In McVay We Trust!"

DMRamFan
Starter

Wed May 20, 2020 10:36 am

Safety Blitz wrote:
Part of the problem is a paucity of LA natives. Most people here have moved to LA from some other NFL city. Few switch their loyalty to the Rams. My dad was from Buffalo and even though he moved to LA when he was 19, he remained a Bill's fan (poor soul) to this day. Yet he took me to Rams games and put on a good show of support for the Rams for my benefit.

The old days of the Coliseum had games blacked out because we couldn't sell 100 k tickets to lift the ban. When Georgia the Witch took over and moved the Rams to awful Anaheim many LA natives abandoned the Rams. GEORGIA and Shaw couldn't fill that inferior stadium even though we had Robinson and ED.

THEN the wITCt h goes to STL and many fans hated the Rams. Many returned when Warner and Martz brought us back from a loo g comatose state of perpetual failure.

THE KC game on MNF showed evidence of anew fan base emerging now.

The Raiders captured a large share of the fan base that remains to this day.

A year ago I moved to OC and down here surprisingly I see more people wearing USC gear than those wearing Rams or Chargers gear.

SOFI might give us an additional surge of new Rams fans.
That is because most of us in OC went to USC and UCLA (FIGHT ON). I live in OC as well. It will take a while for Rams to get back to the Anaheim glory days, but trust me there are a lot of Rams fans here. More than anywhere else. Also, keep in mind that USC and UCLA were our pro football teams so to speak for 20 years because we had no home town team.

Rams. Just. Need. To. Win.

Period. Winning solves everything.

Prove me wrong

larams84
Bench Warmer

Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 pm

Well the Raiders really didn't sell that well when they were in LA. In fact, if you check attendance from those 13 years they only had 17 games over 70,000. The Rams in 4 years have equaled that. 70% of Raiders attendance was below 59,000 and almost half of their attendance was below 50,000. They had as many games in 40K's (37)than 50K (22) & 60K (15) combined. Go Rams!!!

sdram
Pro-bowler

Wed May 20, 2020 10:51 pm

UtahRam wrote:
All you have to do is look at the shitty LA support the RAMS got when they went to the gotdamn Super Bowl two years ago. All that LA money and the stadium was filled with Pats fans. I've got an idea; lets change our uniforms to some hideous clown costumes and attract all those young fans! LMFAO
:lol:

Commish
Veteran

Thu May 21, 2020 12:23 am

larams84 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 pm
Well the Raiders really didn't sell that well when they were in LA. In fact, if you check attendance from those 13 years they only had 17 games over 70,000. The Rams in 4 years have equaled that. 70% of Raiders attendance was below 59,000 and almost half of their attendance was below 50,000. They had as many games in 40K's (37)than 50K (22) & 60K (15) combined. Go Rams!!!
I've always suspected that the Raiders' fandom in Los Angeles was never nearly so strong as some people bragged about.

Of course, quite a few of those "fans" wore Silver-&-Black merchandise as effective 'gang colors' rather than as primarily representing the pro football team anyway, I believe... :) :? :ugeek:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

Commish
Veteran

Thu May 21, 2020 12:30 am

UtahRam wrote:
Well, certainly the "A 'temper tantrum' every day" approach should solidify the Rams' support among the two-year-old age demographic, shouldn't it? LOL!!... :P :lol: :roll:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

Ants
Pro-bowler

Thu May 21, 2020 4:42 am

Safety Blitz wrote:

When Georgia the Witch took over and moved the Rams to awful Anaheim many LA natives abandoned the Rams. GEORGIA and Shaw couldn't fill that inferior stadium even though we had Robinson and ED.

:roll: Anaheim and LA are the same place. What you're saying is similar to the NY Giants playing in the Meadowlands NJ...That's a totally different state!!!!
...but it's so close nobody really cared. Stop acting like a loon.

Yorkshire Ram
Bench Warmer

Thu May 21, 2020 6:02 am

As a a Rams fan based in the UK, it always amazes me that there's insufficient LA support to sell out 8 home games a year.

I don't live there, but London has a population of 9 million, yet it supports countless football (soccer) teams with stadiums of varying capacities. Plus they all play between 19 and 23 home games per season.

Surely LA is able to provide 70,000 fans to attend 8 home games per season? I understand there's lots to do in LA, but we're talking a fraction of the population.

If the new stadium is as loud as they're saying it will be, it's going to be really embarrassing when we're drowned out of our own house!

DMRamFan
Starter

Thu May 21, 2020 7:01 am

Ants wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:42 am
Safety Blitz wrote:

When Georgia the Witch took over and moved the Rams to awful Anaheim many LA natives abandoned the Rams. GEORGIA and Shaw couldn't fill that inferior stadium even though we had Robinson and ED.

:roll: Anaheim and LA are the same place. What you're saying is similar to the NY Giants playing in the Meadowlands NJ...That's a totally different state!!!!
...but it's so close nobody really cared. Stop acting like a loon.
Ehhh, not really in the 'same' place Ants...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prove me wrong

Rate this topic
  • Information