Team's success will depend on Aker's success

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
Bones
Bench Warmer

Wed May 20, 2020 10:24 am

Our 2019 step back was mainly caused by lack of running game. As discussed in ad nauseam, lack of running game negatively effects the entire offense and.......defense for that matter. A good running game means more ball control which also equates to more rest for the defense.

O line's demise has been dissected to no end and the loss of Saffold started the ball rolling down hill. Still, it is Gurley who takes most of the blame. The RB is always the most visible. Stabilize the line by getting a consistent group of 5, let Akers run like he's capable of, and most everything else will fall into place.

UtahRam
Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 10:32 am

You could just stabilize the line and run Brown and Henderson and we would be fine.

sanbagger
Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 10:54 am

I agree a sound running game is key it also free's up JG with the play action pass, a vital cog in McV's system.

The thing is I'm not sold it will be Akers this year.....McV has shown a reluctance to utilize rookies and possibly expose JG on blitzes...all depends on how quick CA picks up the playbook and recognizes defensive looks, because you know opposing D coordinators are going to see a rookie as a single back and throw the kitchen sink at him to confuse him.

I really don't see significant PT for CA until at least mid season and that will be determined by Henderson and Brown's effectiveness.

DMRamFan
Starter

Wed May 20, 2020 10:59 am

So you're saying the Rams success all falls on a rookie that will maybe play 20% of the snaps?

You have to be kidding right?

Prove me wrong

harkin
Pro-bowler

Wed May 20, 2020 11:02 am

Akers is one new piece to the puzzle - hoping he’s a GREAT pickup but I wouldn’t put the team’s success on his back. There are a lot of draft picks (from this year and previous years) we are still waiting on to deliver.

Hopefully they click going firward.

Bones
Bench Warmer

Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 am

I'm saying our success depends on the running attack. One thing Gurley had before getting hurt was his take-it-to-the-house threat. Of the three RBs we have now I only see Akers as being the same kind of threat. Henderson maybe, given more opportunity, but Brown -- no. Akers very similar to Dalvin
Cook.......both FSU, same size, speed, and stats. Cook made an immediate impact in Minny before getting hurt.

D-GenerationX
Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 11:30 am

UtahRam wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:32 am
You could just stabilize the line and run Brown and Henderson and we would be fine.
Eh, I don't know.

Brown has shown little to suggest he's not a just a depth guy. And Henderson couldn't get on the field last year, despite the team sorely needing him.

A Logo Will Not Make A Stop On Third Down. A Logo Will Not Make A Tough Catch Over The Middle.

Smarten Up.

D-GenerationX
Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 11:31 am

DMRamFan wrote:
So you're saying the Rams success all falls on a rookie that will maybe play 20% of the snaps?

He will have to play more than that just by sheer necessity.

A Logo Will Not Make A Stop On Third Down. A Logo Will Not Make A Tough Catch Over The Middle.

Smarten Up.

Rammer
Pro-bowler

Wed May 20, 2020 11:42 am

D-GenerationX wrote:
DMRamFan wrote:

Yeah, I hope we aren't dependent on Akers. If we are, we are a 4th place team.

Commish
Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 12:08 pm

D-GenerationX wrote:
DMRamFan wrote:

Agreed--I'm figuring on Cam Akers getting at least 50%, and probably around 70%, of our team's carries this upcoming season (presuming there is one).

While I'm expecting the Rams' O-line to be considerably improved, due to better health plus greater playing experience by young players, the ability of Akers to be highly productive, even with mediocre blocking, should prove to be valuable in upgrading the Good Guys' running game.

Of course, if there's no training camp, or a significantly shortened one, that would obviously change things... ;) :? :geek:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

Rammo
Bench Warmer

Wed May 20, 2020 3:31 pm

AKERS CAN BLOCK-HE CAN CATCH-HE CAN RUN-HE WILL DOMINATE
ULTIMATE HOMER BUT I'VE SEEN ROOKIE RB'S DOMINATE YEAR ONE AND I'M PUTTING MY MONEY ON AKERS

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Wed May 20, 2020 8:17 pm

I hope Akers is as good and as ferocious as Josh Jacobs. Dude is a damn monster and runs like he wants to kill someone. Love watching him play. Raiders nailed big time with that pick. I like what I saw from Akers so far.

war room warrior
Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 8:32 pm

Bones wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 am
I'm saying our success depends on the running attack. One thing Gurley had before getting hurt was his take-it-to-the-house threat. Of the three RBs we have now I only see Akers as being the same kind of threat. Henderson maybe, given more opportunity, but Brown -- no. Akers very similar to Dalvin
Cook.......both FSU, same size, speed, and stats. Cook made an immediate impact in Minny before getting hurt.
Haha! Exactly who I think Akers reminds me of; Delvin Cooks ! I

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 pm

I think the RAMs will use a run by committee,

Right now,,, Brown has the upper edge...

Since he has been under McVay's system for the past three years now...

I just see him starting off the bat,,, giving package roles to both Akers and Hollywood Henderson..... keeping all of the legs fresh...

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Thu May 21, 2020 3:42 pm

Will have to see if he's up to the challenge of getting comfortable and good enough to succeed in the NFL. We should know what we have in him early on as he adjusts during preseason. BUT because McVay is primarily a play action strategist the running game has to work to get Goff hitting open targets off action.

MY guess: he excels quickly and leads our offense to max efficiency as he gets the bulk of rushing attempts.

Hope Henderson becomes the receiver RB who can break big gainers.

"In McVay We Trust!"

49RH8R
Veteran

Thu May 21, 2020 4:07 pm

harkin wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:02 am
Akers is one new piece to the puzzle - hoping he’s a GREAT pickup but I wouldn’t put the team’s success on his back. There are a lot of draft picks (from this year and previous years) we are still waiting on to deliver.

Hopefully they click going firward.
especially the 2018 class. the time is now for these guys.

3 Joseph Noteboom, TCU
4 Brian Allen, Michigan St.
5 Micah Kiser, Virginia
5 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Oklahoma
6 John Kelly, Tennessee
6 Jamil Demby, Maine
6 Sebastian Joseph, Rutgers
6 Trevon Young, Louisville
7 Travin Howard, TCU
7 Justin Lawler, SMU

sanbagger
Veteran

Fri May 22, 2020 1:56 pm

Rammo wrote:
ULTIMATE HOMER BUT I'VE SEEN ROOKIE RB'S DOMINATE YEAR ONE AND I'M PUTTING MY MONEY ON AKERS
Dominate is a strong word....I had to go back to Terrel Davis to find a 2nd round RB that had, what I would classify, as a dominate rookie year.

TD had 273 carries his rookie year and that's 50 carries more than TG had last year...now the team stated they were going to manage TG's carries due to his condition...but that many carries would classify as a workhorse.

I'm not saying CA can't or won't become a workhorse type but I just see the Rams as utilizing the other RB's....and we have read many reports that the plan is to have a kind of RB by committee.....posters thinking he's gonna get 70% of the carries and dominate the NFL, I believe, will be feeling a bit empty at the end of the year.

29TheBest
Veteran

Fri May 22, 2020 7:30 pm

The key will be how the line plays and allows Goff to be the 2018 version, not the 2019 version. Akers no doubt will contribute, but I think we are going to see some RB by committee with Henderson, especially this season. I think another key could be the play of the TE's. I'm not looking for much from Everett, but possibly the Hopkins kid will step up. This should open up the stretch game for the WR's.

My2Cents
Bench Warmer

Sat May 23, 2020 2:16 pm

29TheBest wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:30 pm
The key will be how the line plays and allows Goff to be the 2018 version, not the 2019 version. Akers no doubt will contribute, but I think we are going to see some RB by committee with Henderson, especially this season. I think another key could be the play of the TE's. I'm not looking for much from Everett, but possibly the Hopkins kid will step up. This should open up the stretch game for the WR's.
I agree with much of this. The new offensive scheme will be very important, as at least a portion of the neutering of Gurley was due to teams stacking the box against the Rams and applying pressure to Gurley at the line and Goff when passing. A varied scheme with the Oline creating lanes will be, IMO, more important than what Akers brings in and of himself.

crazy-legs
Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 3:32 pm

RB's are plug and play players. Yes some are better than others but they ll depend on one thing for their success - running lanes opened up by the O-Line. It all starts up front - something it seems the Rams FO\Coaches have totally forgot...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

Commish
Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 4:14 pm

crazy-legs wrote:
RB's are plug and play players. Yes some are better than others but they ll depend on one thing for their success - running lanes opened up by the O-Line. It all starts up front - something it seems the Rams FO\Coaches have totally forgot...
LOL! Do you really believe that our team's leadership somehow "totally forgot" that?

Or are you just annoyed that the Snead/McVay regime is simply taking a different approach from what you wanted it to do?

If that strategy 'misfires,' then certainly the Rams' competition-based leadership can be blamed, however it's point-blank absurd to believe that Sean McVay doesn't understand offensive football... ;) :P :roll:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Sat May 23, 2020 8:10 pm

I don't say akers himself but anyone . We need a running game . No running game again ? no playoffs again .

Bones
Bench Warmer

Wed May 27, 2020 9:59 pm

sanbagger wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:56 pm
Rammo wrote:
Dominate is a strong word....I had to go back to Terrel Davis to find a 2nd round RB that had, what I would classify, as a dominate rookie year.

TD had 273 carries his rookie year and that's 50 carries more than TG had last year...now the team stated they were going to manage TG's carries due to his condition...but that many carries would classify as a workhorse.

I'm not saying CA can't or won't become a workhorse type but I just see the Rams as utilizing the other RB's....and we have read many reports that the plan is to have a kind of RB by committee.....posters thinking he's gonna get 70% of the carries and dominate the NFL, I believe, will be feeling a bit empty at the end of the year.
Decent argument but Terrel Davis was drafted in the 6th round, not 2nd.

crazy-legs
Veteran

Thu May 28, 2020 9:35 am

Commish wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:14 pm
crazy-legs wrote:
LOL! Do you really believe that our team's leadership somehow "totally forgot" that?

Or are you just annoyed that the Snead/McVay regime is simply taking a different approach from what you wanted it to do?

If that strategy 'misfires,' then certainly the Rams' competition-based leadership can be blamed, however it's point-blank absurd to believe that Sean McVay doesn't understand offensive football... ;) :P :roll:

ram pathos...

--The Commish
When Snead was hired he said something that made me feel like this man gets it. I thought wow we finally have a GM that understands where the game of football is won (in the trenches). In so many words he said they were going to build the Rams from the inside out...

We had the 2nd worse O-Line last year and did nothing to upgrade it. We brought back an aging Tackle who's play declined last year, re-signed a Center that is perhaps the worse Center in the league and did nothing to upgrade our guards. The Rams plan as far as I can see it is: #1. Expect everyone to stay healthy and #2 expect everyone to all the sudden play at a higher level. That's wishful thinking IMO...

We'll see how it pans out. I'm hoping for the best but with that said you can't keep rolling out the same players and expect different results. Folks who do that are losers IMO...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

My2Cents
Bench Warmer

Thu May 28, 2020 1:28 pm

With some extra time on my hands due to the pandemic, I have watched quite a few predraft videos on Akers and Dobbins (who was selected by the Ravens 3 picks after Akers). My take away is that the Rams management are gamblers. While Akers is a more physical runner, he does not have the skills or vision that Dobbins has. It is not merely a matter of Dobbins having the better Oline than Akers, in similar situations, Dobbins has better footwork and ability to make the most out of a situation due to his intelligence and vision. If Akers can be coached up, perhaps he'll be a better RB in the long run, if he doesn't get seriously injured, (let's hope!) but my impression is that the fact that Dobbins was rated as the higher RB in the draft was justified.

I continue to assert that the team's success will depend largely on the Oline improving dramatically from last year and a more effective offensive scheme. If the Oline doesn't dramatically improve and the scheme as predictable as last year, then we will never know how awesome our QB, RBs and WRs are.

Rate this topic
  • Information