My view of the NFC West.

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
Post Reply
User avatar
Raminec
Veteran
Posts: 2048
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:21 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Wed May 20, 2020 4:33 pm

Rams are picked to finish either 3rd or 4th in the NFC West with many calling 2020 a rebuild year and projecting them to finish 6-10. Vegas has Rams over and under win total between 8-9. Rams have a lot of questions no doubt.

What surprises me is all of the so called experts seem to place the Niners and the Seahawks right back up where they left off last season and overlook the questions both of those teams face as well entering the 2020 season.

The Niners clearly have the most talented team in the NFC West but they have made some roster moves that raises questions about whether they can match the dominance they displayed early last season coming off 4-12 and 6-10 seasons in the previous two years.

Gone- Joe Staley LT- Staley struggled with injuries in 2019 and will be replaced by All Pro LT Trent Williams who missed the entire 2019 season due to a cancerous growth on his head that was originally misdiagnosed by team doctors. Williams could return to his All Pro level and actually be an upgrade to Staley but the fact remains he missed the entire season in 2019.

Gone- DeForest Buckner DT Second Team All Pro will be replaced by rookie DT Javon Kinlaw who was a 1st team All American at South Carolina. Kinlaw is a big highly touted rookie who replaces the more costly but proven inside pressure that Buckner has provided since he was drafted with 28.5 career sacks in his first 4 seasons. Can Kinlaw replace Buckner’s production in his rookie season.

Gone- Emmanuel Sanders was a key veteran WR acquisition in 2019 who help solidify the Niners passing attack but left in Free Agency to sign with the Saints. Sanders expected replacement is rookie 1st round WR Brandon Aiyuk from AZ State. Aiyuk who has exceptional athleticism and YAC potential but needs work on route running and coming out of breaks. Aiyuk compares favorably with Debo Samuel who was effective as a receiver and a ball carrier in the Niners offense but lacks the polished route running that Sanders brought to the Niners offense.

Question Marks- Niners did not address their secondary in the draft .Question marks remain about the backend of the defense that only allowed 13 pts a game in the first half of the season but allowed an average of 26 points a game in the final 8 and ultimately collapsed in the final 6 minutes of the Super Bowl. Niners surprised the league early in the season parlaying an overpowering pass rush and a exceptional run game ( along with a last place schedule) to an 8-0 start. As the schedule progressed teams that found a way to neutralize or slow their pass rush found success passing against their below average back end of the defense. Niners finished the second half of the season 5-3 but were a couple of 3rd and long conversions ( against the Rams) and a tackle at the one yard line ( against the Seahawks) away from finishing 3-5

Super Bowl hangover or not the Niners won’t sneak up on anyone this season and playing a first place schedule the NFL’s new darlings will find out if they are as good or better than last seasons 13-3 team or closer to the 4-12 and 6-10 teams that preceded it. It’s hard to win in the NFL. Especially hard to win in the tough NFC West. They have a target on their back now.

As for the Seahawks who seem to be ranked high in every poll and are expected to challenge the Niners for the NFC West title there is no doubt that they possess the best QB in the division in Russell Wilson. Seattle is coming off an 11-5 second place finish in the NFC West. Seahawks rolled out to a 10-2 start and then stumbled home losing 3 of their final 4 games ( all to teams in the NFC West).
Seahawks have developed a run heavy approach ( Shotty Ball) with a big offensive line and featuring two powerful running backs in Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny with Russell Wilson using play action to strike teams with his deep passing game.

Key questions surrounding 2020 include the health status of their two workhorse running backs. Carson injured his hip late in the season and has a history of injuries .Penny tore his ACL in week 14 of the season and is not expected to be available for the first part of 2020. Seahawks are a run first team that would struggle if Carson and Penny missed any significant time in 2020. They could remake their offense into more of a passing offense but their offensive line while competent at run blocking has struggled to protect Russell Wilson in passing situations. Wilson can literally take over games but without the running game to help set up the type of deep throws he masters he would not be nearly as effective.
The Seahawks also have some big questions on defense especially when it comes to putting pressure on opponents quarterbacks.



User avatar
CierraRam
Veteran
Posts: 873
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:24 am
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Wed May 20, 2020 6:32 pm

As far as the Rams are concerned, the two keys IMO is the continued improvement of the OL that they stood pat with and also the pass rush outside of Donald. Im not concerned about MLB and stopping the run. Again, MOP, but I actually see them being better than they have been in the past several years at stopping the run. if the OL elevates even a little over where they finished the offense will be explosive and unpredictable again. If the pass rush is in a nearby zip code then the defense has the potential to be near top 10 again.... .. that happens the NFC West will have 3 playoff teams and it's unpredictable as to who wins the division



RadRacerRams
Veteran
Posts: 1136
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Thu May 21, 2020 1:34 am

CierraRam wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:32 pm
As far as the Rams are concerned, the two keys IMO is the continued improvement of the OL that they stood pat with and also the pass rush outside of Donald. Im not concerned about MLB and stopping the run. Again, MOP, but I actually see them being better than they have been in the past several years at stopping the run. if the OL elevates even a little over where they finished the offense will be explosive and unpredictable again. If the pass rush is in a nearby zip code then the defense has the potential to be near top 10 again.... .. that happens the NFC West will have 3 playoff teams and it's unpredictable as to who wins the division
the division will Come down to the Rams and the 40-whiners .....the seahags should have gotten swept by the Rams last year even with an injured O-line...... if Greg makes the kick.......it would have happened......!!!

Go Rams : if the Rams O-line stays healthy and the Running game is there ....They will Win the Division.......



49RH8R
Veteran
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:54 am
Location: California
Contact:

Thu May 21, 2020 8:53 am

i love how the OP omitted the cardinals. i'll believe that AZ hype when i see it. they are the NFC version of the cleveland browns.

totally agree on the niners. why trade buckner??? if they wanted to save some cash and get a draft pick they should have let armstead walk for a 3rd round comp pick. buckner is a huge loss in the locker room too, even armstead was "shocked".
kinlaw has had a slew of injuries which is not good for a big man in the trenches.

they also gave up a 3rd next year and a 5th for trent williams. he could be a 1-year rental like emmanuel sanders. not sure how he will do or where his head is

aiyuk is a rookie WR and they take time to develop. i challenge anybody to look back at 1st round WR's the last 5 years. spoiler alert, huge bust factor.

they lost WR goodwin and RB brieda which is some good depth. the super bowl hangover is waiting for them and the rams are hungry so i can't wait to see these 2 matchups.



ocram23
Pro-bowler
Posts: 2949
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Contact:

Thu May 21, 2020 9:52 am

Raminec wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:33 pm
Rams are picked to finish either 3rd or 4th in the NFC West with many calling 2020 a rebuild year and projecting them to finish 6-10. Vegas has Rams over and under win total between 8-9. Rams have a lot of questions no doubt.

What surprises me is all of the so called experts seem to place the Niners and the Seahawks right back up where they left off last season and overlook the questions both of those teams face as well entering the 2020 season.

The Niners clearly have the most talented team in the NFC West but they have made some roster moves that raises questions about whether they can match the dominance they displayed early last season coming off 4-12 and 6-10 seasons in the previous two years.

Gone- Joe Staley LT- Staley struggled with injuries in 2019 and will be replaced by All Pro LT Trent Williams who missed the entire 2019 season due to a cancerous growth on his head that was originally misdiagnosed by team doctors. Williams could return to his All Pro level and actually be an upgrade to Staley but the fact remains he missed the entire season in 2019.

Gone- DeForest Buckner DT Second Team All Pro will be replaced by rookie DT Javon Kinlaw who was a 1st team All American at South Carolina. Kinlaw is a big highly touted rookie who replaces the more costly but proven inside pressure that Buckner has provided since he was drafted with 28.5 career sacks in his first 4 seasons. Can Kinlaw replace Buckner’s production in his rookie season.

Gone- Emmanuel Sanders was a key veteran WR acquisition in 2019 who help solidify the Niners passing attack but left in Free Agency to sign with the Saints. Sanders expected replacement is rookie 1st round WR Brandon Aiyuk from AZ State. Aiyuk who has exceptional athleticism and YAC potential but needs work on route running and coming out of breaks. Aiyuk compares favorably with Debo Samuel who was effective as a receiver and a ball carrier in the Niners offense but lacks the polished route running that Sanders brought to the Niners offense.

Question Marks- Niners did not address their secondary in the draft .Question marks remain about the backend of the defense that only allowed 13 pts a game in the first half of the season but allowed an average of 26 points a game in the final 8 and ultimately collapsed in the final 6 minutes of the Super Bowl. Niners surprised the league early in the season parlaying an overpowering pass rush and a exceptional run game ( along with a last place schedule) to an 8-0 start. As the schedule progressed teams that found a way to neutralize or slow their pass rush found success passing against their below average back end of the defense. Niners finished the second half of the season 5-3 but were a couple of 3rd and long conversions ( against the Rams) and a tackle at the one yard line ( against the Seahawks) away from finishing 3-5

Super Bowl hangover or not the Niners won’t sneak up on anyone this season and playing a first place schedule the NFL’s new darlings will find out if they are as good or better than last seasons 13-3 team or closer to the 4-12 and 6-10 teams that preceded it. It’s hard to win in the NFL. Especially hard to win in the tough NFC West. They have a target on their back now.

As for the Seahawks who seem to be ranked high in every poll and are expected to challenge the Niners for the NFC West title there is no doubt that they possess the best QB in the division in Russell Wilson. Seattle is coming off an 11-5 second place finish in the NFC West. Seahawks rolled out to a 10-2 start and then stumbled home losing 3 of their final 4 games ( all to teams in the NFC West).
Seahawks have developed a run heavy approach ( Shotty Ball) with a big offensive line and featuring two powerful running backs in Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny with Russell Wilson using play action to strike teams with his deep passing game.

Key questions surrounding 2020 include the health status of their two workhorse running backs. Carson injured his hip late in the season and has a history of injuries .Penny tore his ACL in week 14 of the season and is not expected to be available for the first part of 2020. Seahawks are a run first team that would struggle if Carson and Penny missed any significant time in 2020. They could remake their offense into more of a passing offense but their offensive line while competent at run blocking has struggled to protect Russell Wilson in passing situations. Wilson can literally take over games but without the running game to help set up the type of deep throws he masters he would not be nearly as effective.
The Seahawks also have some big questions on defense especially when it comes to putting pressure on opponents quarterbacks.
solid effort Raminec. I think both of these teams have big question marks just like the Rams. Going to be fun to see what happens, that's if they play this year.



ocram23
Pro-bowler
Posts: 2949
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Contact:

Thu May 21, 2020 9:55 am

49RH8R wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:53 am
i love how the OP omitted the cardinals. i'll believe that AZ hype when i see it. they are the NFC version of the cleveland browns.

totally agree on the niners. why trade buckner??? if they wanted to save some cash and get a draft pick they should have let armstead walk for a 3rd round comp pick. buckner is a huge loss in the locker room too, even armstead was "shocked".
kinlaw has had a slew of injuries which is not good for a big man in the trenches.

they also gave up a 3rd next year and a 5th for trent williams. he could be a 1-year rental like emmanuel sanders. not sure how he will do or where his head is

aiyuk is a rookie WR and they take time to develop. i challenge anybody to look back at 1st round WR's the last 5 years. spoiler alert, huge bust factor.

they lost WR goodwin and RB brieda which is some good depth. the super bowl hangover is waiting for them and the rams are hungry so i can't wait to see these 2 matchups.
Cardinals will come in last place again they are one year out IMO. They traded Buckner so they could get something in return, I think it was a great move. They knew they couldn't afford resigning him. Rookie WR's rarely make an impact in year 1 so Sanders will be a big loss. Plus you have the SB hangover.



unclesams
Veteran
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:34 am
Contact:

Thu May 21, 2020 1:51 pm

RadRacerRams wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:34 am
CierraRam wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:32 pm
As far as the Rams are concerned, the two keys IMO is the continued improvement of the OL that they stood pat with and also the pass rush outside of Donald. Im not concerned about MLB and stopping the run. Again, MOP, but I actually see them being better than they have been in the past several years at stopping the run. if the OL elevates even a little over where they finished the offense will be explosive and unpredictable again. If the pass rush is in a nearby zip code then the defense has the potential to be near top 10 again.... .. that happens the NFC West will have 3 playoff teams and it's unpredictable as to who wins the division
the division will Come down to the Rams and the 40-whiners .....the seahags should have gotten swept by the Rams last year even with an injured O-line...... if Greg makes the kick.......it would have happened......!!!

Go Rams : if the Rams O-line stays healthy and the Running game is there ....They will Win the Division.......
I ageee!!...Rams will win the division and I feel the 49ers will be an 8 - 8 team at the best. Superbowl hangovers are real. Seahawks are not that good of a team and they really didnt do anything in free agency nor the draft. The Cardinals will be the team that will finish second in the NFC West and I think they will be a 9 - 7 or 10 - 6 team. I think the Rams come back strong and finish no worse than 11 - 5 but I feel 12 - 4 is the record.



Faulk28allworld
Starter
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:54 pm
Contact:

Thu May 21, 2020 4:39 pm

49RH8R wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:53 am
i love how the OP omitted the cardinals. i'll believe that AZ hype when i see it. they are the NFC version of the cleveland browns.

totally agree on the niners. why trade buckner??? if they wanted to save some cash and get a draft pick they should have let armstead walk for a 3rd round comp pick. buckner is a huge loss in the locker room too, even armstead was "shocked".
kinlaw has had a slew of injuries which is not good for a big man in the trenches.

they also gave up a 3rd next year and a 5th for trent williams. he could be a 1-year rental like emmanuel sanders. not sure how he will do or where his head is

aiyuk is a rookie WR and they take time to develop. i challenge anybody to look back at 1st round WR's the last 5 years. spoiler alert, huge bust factor.

they lost WR goodwin and RB brieda which is some good depth. the super bowl hangover is waiting for them and the rams are hungry so i can't wait to see these 2 matchups.
Bucker stat wise (looked it up) was 4th best on the 49ers Dline behind Bosa, Armstead, and Ford I believe. Armstead didnt have the trade value of a 1st rounder and Buckner wanted a big contract. He got 21 million per season. 49ers got a 1st and drafted his replacement. Id say they did good there. If you go back and check, Sanders realistically did nothing for them after the Saints game. He was non existent in the playoffs and the SB (stat wise). Definately not worth the 9 million per that the Saints cougjed up leadership its a loss but I would say that is it. Trent Williams is better than Joe Staley in my opinion, even being off a season. Lol at them going 8-8 when they basically didnt get any worse. Their secondary is their weakness and its because of depth, not talent. Personally I see them losing no more than 5 games. I follow all NFCW pretty closely as they are in the division. SB hangover may happen, but I cant see it personally. As for the Seahawks, they live and die with Wilson. Their defense got worse, and they have no depth. Cardinals are a sleeper team. They could be very good this season as they had a great draft. Im still undecided as for the division, but if I guessed right now Id go 49ers 1, Seattle 2, Rams 3, Cards 4.



User avatar
Raminec
Veteran
Posts: 2048
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:21 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Thu May 21, 2020 6:17 pm

Faulk28allworld wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:39 pm
49RH8R wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:53 am
i love how the OP omitted the cardinals. i'll believe that AZ hype when i see it. they are the NFC version of the cleveland browns.

totally agree on the niners. why trade buckner??? if they wanted to save some cash and get a draft pick they should have let armstead walk for a 3rd round comp pick. buckner is a huge loss in the locker room too, even armstead was "shocked".
kinlaw has had a slew of injuries which is not good for a big man in the trenches.

they also gave up a 3rd next year and a 5th for trent williams. he could be a 1-year rental like emmanuel sanders. not sure how he will do or where his head is

aiyuk is a rookie WR and they take time to develop. i challenge anybody to look back at 1st round WR's the last 5 years. spoiler alert, huge bust factor.

they lost WR goodwin and RB brieda which is some good depth. the super bowl hangover is waiting for them and the rams are hungry so i can't wait to see these 2 matchups.
Bucker stat wise (looked it up) was 4th best on the 49ers Dline behind Bosa, Armstead, and Ford I believe. Armstead didnt have the trade value of a 1st rounder and Buckner wanted a big contract. He got 21 million per season. 49ers got a 1st and drafted his replacement. Id say they did good there. If you go back and check, Sanders realistically did nothing for them after the Saints game. He was non existent in the playoffs and the SB (stat wise). Definately not worth the 9 million per that the Saints cougjed up leadership its a loss but I would say that is it. Trent Williams is better than Joe Staley in my opinion, even being off a season. Lol at them going 8-8 when they basically didnt get any worse. Their secondary is their weakness and its because of depth, not talent. Personally I see them losing no more than 5 games. I follow all NFCW pretty closely as they are in the division. SB hangover may happen, but I cant see it personally. As for the Seahawks, they live and die with Wilson. Their defense got worse, and they have no depth. Cardinals are a sleeper team. They could be very good this season as they had a great draft. Im still undecided as for the division, but if I guessed right now Id go 49ers 1, Seattle 2, Rams 3, Cards 4.
Trading Buckner was a calculated gamble on the 49ers part. They couldn’t sign both Buckner and Armstead to extensions because they already are paying Dee Ford 14 million for 2020 and they are tight against the cap in 2021 with Kittle, Sherman, Juszczyk and others scheduled to become free agents. Buckner was the more attractive trade option as Armstead had underperformed in his 4 seasons prior to 2019 with only 9 sacks in 4 seasons prior to breaking out last season with 10 sacks. In comparison Buckner had 28.5 sacks in 4 seasons. It came down to which player was easier to sign and which player had the most trade value. Buckner was unquestionably the better of the two and Indianapolis would never have traded a first round pick for Armstead. Niners know they will have to pay Boza top dollar in a few years so from a cap standpoint it was a great move but from a football standpoint it is a gamble. They are gambling that their rookie DL Kinlaw who excelled in college can replace the proven but soon to be very costly talent they had in Buckner. If the gamble pays off it could extend their Super Bowl window if it fails they might have traded away their best chance at another title.Sanders was their best true receiver without a doubt. He connected well with Jimmy G ( except maybe in the 4 th quarter of the Super Bowl)😂 and was his favorite target. Niners have some good talent at WR in Debo Samuel but he’s still learning to be a receiver and was more effective in the run game and good YAC in the short passing game. They replaced Sanders with Brandon Aiyuk who is very similar to Samuel but is still learning to run routes and gain separation. Rookie Wide Receivers usually need some time to develop. Aiyuk definitely has the talent but is considered a project because he only played two years of major college ball after transferring from junior college.There is no question that they will miss Sanders especially as a deep threat but once again they are gambling somewhat in that while they save against the cap they could see their window close before the young receiver pays dividends. I can guarantee you the Niners would be a better team with Buckner and Sanders in 2020 but they probably would be in cap hell for awhile so it would have been an all in type gamble that may produce a shot at a title now but comprise the immediate future due to cap restraints. I think the Niners first few games will be very telling. They are a young team that was the hunters last season and now as Defending NFC Champs they have become the hunted. If they get off to a tough start will they be thinking confidently like the 13-3 team from last year or will they have some flashbacks to the 4-12 team that preceded it. Time will tell if those gambles pay off. Will the Niners break the trend of failure that has haunted the previous Super Bowl losers in the past. Stay Tuned. Being a Rams fan I’m hoping that all the Niners moves fail miserably and they sink back to the middle of the pack in the NFC West.



User avatar
Safety Blitz
Veteran
Posts: 2439
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:07 pm
Contact:

Fri May 22, 2020 7:41 am

We can go undefeated against West foes. 4-2 at least. Our defense will be better and IF the oline gets we can win our division.

GO RAMS@@KEEPTHEFAITH


"In McVay We Trust!"

Yorkshire Ram
Bench Warmer
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:21 am
Contact:

Fri May 22, 2020 2:34 pm

In my opinion the hated Niners will unfortunately be strong again. Yes, they've lost a couple of players but they are still good and can absorb what they've lost & are well coached. They are still weak at QB though and if all the parts don't work well, Jimmy G is capable of stinking the place up.

Don't get all the love for Murray at Arizona, he's OK but when we play get Ramsey to blanket Hopkins and make him look elsewhere, they don't frighten me. They are clearly building something but not convinced yet. They will win games though as they are accumulating talent.

Seattle looks thin at RB and TE to me and you just maybe feel that they could have an average year? They still have Wilson though, so he'll drag them through a few games. The D is OK, but far from what it once was.

As for the Rams, you've got to have concerns about the O line and you also wonder how we can get to the QB consistently. However, I'm excited to see what Staley brings, I feel that Wade was the steady security blanket that was needed when McVay took over, but Staley may bring more aggression and creativity to our D. You never know, we might even dial up a blitz or two!? Could be fun to watch.

Really tough to call division, but I'm going Niners, Rams, Cards, Seahawks. However the bottom team could go 8-8.



malibu
Veteran
Posts: 1073
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:19 pm
Contact:

Sat May 23, 2020 10:56 am

My pov - SF losing Samuels and Buckner are huge. Williams is an upgrade. I understand the economics, but that was a very suspect move Kinlaw for Buckner imo.

As for Seattle they will go as far as Wilson takes them.

AZ I love all the upgrades getting Simmons in the draft and Hopkins. They are a wild card until I see their D play their O will be certainly better.

As for the Rams like I say we will go as far as the OL takes us. I hope McVay/Snead see something that I don't bc they did not address the OL hardly other than Ankerum. I think our run D will be better which lost us the SF, Dallas and Balt. games. McVay added two new Coords and a new lead RB so legitimately their are questions about helping so quick especially in this season with the virus.

Overall I think the Rams are a minimally 11-5 team we were a 9-7 team and a 44 yd FG away from 10-6 with Cooks/Gurley not at 100% and a super banged up OL. If Akers delivers and the OL improves to top 15 we easily are 11-5 bc our secondary, DL and Wr/TEs are arguably imo top 3 in the league. Goff with time is an elite top QB.

We will be fine.



Truth
Bench Warmer
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:55 pm
Contact:

Sun May 24, 2020 12:25 am

Rams will go 7-9. This is a team worse than a year ago. A lot worse. You can’t bring back the same 31st ranked o line, along with a near 40 year old LT, and expect to improve. That is a weak unit getting weaker. Zuerlein will be a huge loss on special teams both on kickoffs, and also limiting the offensive playbook on 50+ FGs. Rams will be punting more than getting 3 points out of those situations which will be huge.

49ers will go 12-4 at minimum. Seahawks in that 9-7 area.

People are hyping the Cardinals bc they think Murray will become what Lamar Jackson is, but I don’t see it. Kingsbury is too committed to the pass for that to happen. I don’t see the hype with Murray.



Cat-A-Ram
Starter
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:46 am
Contact:

Sun May 24, 2020 8:35 am

I see 4 of the 7 best teams in the NFC. It will be a brutal division. The winner will need go .600 in the division or better and win all of the outside division games. I don’t see any team sweeping all conference games this year.



49RH8R
Veteran
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:54 am
Location: California
Contact:

Sun May 24, 2020 10:30 am

Faulk28allworld wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:39 pm
49RH8R wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:53 am
i love how the OP omitted the cardinals. i'll believe that AZ hype when i see it. they are the NFC version of the cleveland browns.

totally agree on the niners. why trade buckner??? if they wanted to save some cash and get a draft pick they should have let armstead walk for a 3rd round comp pick. buckner is a huge loss in the locker room too, even armstead was "shocked".
kinlaw has had a slew of injuries which is not good for a big man in the trenches.

they also gave up a 3rd next year and a 5th for trent williams. he could be a 1-year rental like emmanuel sanders. not sure how he will do or where his head is

aiyuk is a rookie WR and they take time to develop. i challenge anybody to look back at 1st round WR's the last 5 years. spoiler alert, huge bust factor.

they lost WR goodwin and RB brieda which is some good depth. the super bowl hangover is waiting for them and the rams are hungry so i can't wait to see these 2 matchups.
Bucker stat wise (looked it up) was 4th best on the 49ers Dline behind Bosa, Armstead, and Ford I believe. Armstead didnt have the trade value of a 1st rounder and Buckner wanted a big contract. He got 21 million per season. 49ers got a 1st and drafted his replacement. Id say they did good there. If you go back and check, Sanders realistically did nothing for them after the Saints game. He was non existent in the playoffs and the SB (stat wise). Definately not worth the 9 million per that the Saints cougjed up leadership its a loss but I would say that is it. Trent Williams is better than Joe Staley in my opinion, even being off a season. Lol at them going 8-8 when they basically didnt get any worse. Their secondary is their weakness and its because of depth, not talent. Personally I see them losing no more than 5 games. I follow all NFCW pretty closely as they are in the division. SB hangover may happen, but I cant see it personally. As for the Seahawks, they live and die with Wilson. Their defense got worse, and they have no depth. Cardinals are a sleeper team. They could be very good this season as they had a great draft. Im still undecided as for the division, but if I guessed right now Id go 49ers 1, Seattle 2, Rams 3, Cards 4.
sorry, not sure what stat you're looking at but buckner was not the 4th best DL on the niners. in fact, buckner is one of the best DL in the entire league behind aaron donald. you can't really compare him to nick bosa either because they play different positions. they went with armstead to save money and imo that was not smart. they could have even franchised armstead, kept buckner, and made another run with the same dominant D-Line. now they are one injury away from being average. kinlaw won't help much as a rookie and their secondary has problems that weren't addressed. garoppolo and the offense is average so they are ripe for a super bowl hangover.



User avatar
Commish
Veteran
Posts: 1790
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:00 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Contact:

Sun May 24, 2020 11:10 am

Truth wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:25 am
Rams will go 7-9. This is a team worse than a year ago. A lot worse. You can’t bring back the same 31st ranked o line, along with a near 40 year old LT, and expect to improve. That is a weak unit getting weaker. Zuerlein will be a huge loss on special teams both on kickoffs, and also limiting the offensive playbook on 50+ FGs. Rams will be punting more than getting 3 points out of those situations which will be huge.
{1} If the O-line is made up primarily of young, developing players who can be expected to improve with playing experience, it will almost certainly gain proficiency, especially if it had suffered major sidelining injuries the year before. Sean McVay and his coaching staff are clearly counting on that, while you're not. So the question here is who knows our team's playing personnel and NFL offensive football better, McVay and his staff or you? For example, they're undoubtedly aware that this supposed "weak unit getting weaker" averaged 29+ points per game over its final five contests, two of them against playoff teams, last season.

Your approach, to jettison O-linemen if they don't immediately perform like solid five-year veterans, would keep the Good Guys' O-line constantly in a state of flux--I much prefer the Snead/McVay regime's strategy of building up a competent unit.

{2} The Rams aren't replacing the 2017 All-Pro version of Greg Zuerlein, they're replacing the below-average, rather unreliable '19 version, whose ineffectiveness definitely cost them a key victory and arguably at least one more. If the candidate they choose ends up being merely average, that's a definite *upgrade* at the placekicker position for the '20 season.

Looking at our team's schedule, I'm figuring the Good Guys to go no worse than 10-6--presuming that there is an NFL season this year... :) 8-) :geek:

ram pathos...

--The Commish


UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

User avatar
Raminec
Veteran
Posts: 2048
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:21 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Sun May 24, 2020 2:58 pm

Truth wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:25 am
Rams will go 7-9. This is a team worse than a year ago. A lot worse. You can’t bring back the same 31st ranked o line, along with a near 40 year old LT, and expect to improve. That is a weak unit getting weaker. Zuerlein will be a huge loss on special teams both on kickoffs, and also limiting the offensive playbook on 50+ FGs. Rams will be punting more than getting 3 points out of those situations which will be huge.

49ers will go 12-4 at minimum. Seahawks in that 9-7 area.

People are hyping the Cardinals bc they think Murray will become what Lamar Jackson is, but I don’t see it. Kingsbury is too committed to the pass for that to happen. I don’t see the hype with Murray.
I’ll give you that the Rams have a lot of questions to answer. They believe that they have the personnel on the offensive line that could gel and come together as a cohesive unit and play complimentary football. That’s sometimes the most important component of offensive line play. They were better in the last few games of the s season but it is still the biggest question mark for 2020. The moving from Greg the Leg is a gamble as well but I think he has had some consistency issues since he suffered his back injury and hasn’t been the same player since. There is always a challenge finding a kicker that you can find confidence in and I am hoping that one of the three prospects that the Rams have signed will step up. A lot of kicking is consistently in the snap and the placement of the ball and the Rams haven’t changed those two components. As for you 49 er prediction of going 12-4 I really don’t see that happening. Super Bowl loser curse or not the fact remains that the Niners are now the hunted and no longer the hunters. They won’t be playing a last place schedule but rather a first place schedule in 2020. Niners rolled out to a dominating start in 2019 at 8-0 but once the league got a good look at them they had their share of struggles down the stretch. The Rams had them beat in their own ballpark late in the fourth quarter only to fail because they played a soft zone and gave up two third and forever conversions. The Seahawks came within a few inches of beating them in the final regular season. The Seahawks were playing the whole game without their two top running backs. Niners finished the last 8 games 5-3 but could have easily fallen to 3-5. They traded their best inside defensive lineman for a promising rookie. The let their best overall pass receiver and veteran leader walk in free agency and plan to replace him with a rookie WR. Both their top draft picks are outstanding players in college football but they haven’t played a down in NFL. Those types of moves could pay great dividends down the road but I think they will hurt the 2020 version of the Niners especially in light of the possibility of limited training camps due to the virus. Niners have a good team but they will not surprise anyone this year and will be the marked team on the schedule. I believe they have the talent to go 10-6 or possibly 9-7 but they won’t match last years win total and I don’t think they could possibly win 12 games. NFC West champion will probably be a 10 win team. And that team will probably be the only team that can manage a winning record in the NFC West at 4-2



Faulk28allworld
Starter
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:54 pm
Contact:

Mon May 25, 2020 6:47 am

Raminec wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:58 pm
Truth wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:25 am
Rams will go 7-9. This is a team worse than a year ago. A lot worse. You can’t bring back the same 31st ranked o line, along with a near 40 year old LT, and expect to improve. That is a weak unit getting weaker. Zuerlein will be a huge loss on special teams both on kickoffs, and also limiting the offensive playbook on 50+ FGs. Rams will be punting more than getting 3 points out of those situations which will be huge.

49ers will go 12-4 at minimum. Seahawks in that 9-7 area.

People are hyping the Cardinals bc they think Murray will become what Lamar Jackson is, but I don’t see it. Kingsbury is too committed to the pass for that to happen. I don’t see the hype with Murray.
I’ll give you that the Rams have a lot of questions to answer. They believe that they have the personnel on the offensive line that could gel and come together as a cohesive unit and play complimentary football. That’s sometimes the most important component of offensive line play. They were better in the last few games of the s season but it is still the biggest question mark for 2020. The moving from Greg the Leg is a gamble as well but I think he has had some consistency issues since he suffered his back injury and hasn’t been the same player since. There is always a challenge finding a kicker that you can find confidence in and I am hoping that one of the three prospects that the Rams have signed will step up. A lot of kicking is consistently in the snap and the placement of the ball and the Rams haven’t changed those two components. As for you 49 er prediction of going 12-4 I really don’t see that happening. Super Bowl loser curse or not the fact remains that the Niners are now the hunted and no longer the hunters. They won’t be playing a last place schedule but rather a first place schedule in 2020. Niners rolled out to a dominating start in 2019 at 8-0 but once the league got a good look at them they had their share of struggles down the stretch. The Rams had them beat in their own ballpark late in the fourth quarter only to fail because they played a soft zone and gave up two third and forever conversions. The Seahawks came within a few inches of beating them in the final regular season. The Seahawks were playing the whole game without their two top running backs. Niners finished the last 8 games 5-3 but could have easily fallen to 3-5. They traded their best inside defensive lineman for a promising rookie. The let their best overall pass receiver and veteran leader walk in free agency and plan to replace him with a rookie WR. Both their top draft picks are outstanding players in college football but they haven’t played a down in NFL. Those types of moves could pay great dividends down the road but I think they will hurt the 2020 version of the Niners especially in light of the possibility of limited training camps due to the virus. Niners have a good team but they will not surprise anyone this year and will be the marked team on the schedule. I believe they have the talent to go 10-6 or possibly 9-7 but they won’t match last years win total and I don’t think they could possibly win 12 games. NFC West champion will probably be a 10 win team. And that team will probably be the only team that can manage a winning record in the NFC West at 4-2
I agree with most of this but the SB hangover is what you make of it. Pats won it all a year after losing to the Eagles. 49ers dont have bloated contracts, or aging players and basically lost no one to FA or other. They have the best shot at a 12 win season out of anyone in our division, but that is just my opinion. We will see!



User avatar
RamPower
Veteran
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm
Contact:

Mon May 25, 2020 7:27 am

I was impressed with the whiners last year as a good physical team = easily could be world champs right now. BUT, we could have easily been world champs just 12 months prior.

I wasn't impressed with the rest of our division last year, yes including us and SEA (very not impressed with anything in SEA other than Wilson of course - they even lost their home field advantage). AZ last year, meh.

Sure the whiners could be back. SEA could be better as they revamp their O-line (who knows?). AZ is building...but I see the division as wide open, with the Rams as likely the division winner as anyone...so many x factors...



49RH8R
Veteran
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:54 am
Location: California
Contact:

Mon May 25, 2020 3:49 pm

Faulk28allworld wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:47 am
Raminec wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:58 pm
Truth wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:25 am
Rams will go 7-9. This is a team worse than a year ago. A lot worse. You can’t bring back the same 31st ranked o line, along with a near 40 year old LT, and expect to improve. That is a weak unit getting weaker. Zuerlein will be a huge loss on special teams both on kickoffs, and also limiting the offensive playbook on 50+ FGs. Rams will be punting more than getting 3 points out of those situations which will be huge.

49ers will go 12-4 at minimum. Seahawks in that 9-7 area.

People are hyping the Cardinals bc they think Murray will become what Lamar Jackson is, but I don’t see it. Kingsbury is too committed to the pass for that to happen. I don’t see the hype with Murray.
I’ll give you that the Rams have a lot of questions to answer. They believe that they have the personnel on the offensive line that could gel and come together as a cohesive unit and play complimentary football. That’s sometimes the most important component of offensive line play. They were better in the last few games of the s season but it is still the biggest question mark for 2020. The moving from Greg the Leg is a gamble as well but I think he has had some consistency issues since he suffered his back injury and hasn’t been the same player since. There is always a challenge finding a kicker that you can find confidence in and I am hoping that one of the three prospects that the Rams have signed will step up. A lot of kicking is consistently in the snap and the placement of the ball and the Rams haven’t changed those two components. As for you 49 er prediction of going 12-4 I really don’t see that happening. Super Bowl loser curse or not the fact remains that the Niners are now the hunted and no longer the hunters. They won’t be playing a last place schedule but rather a first place schedule in 2020. Niners rolled out to a dominating start in 2019 at 8-0 but once the league got a good look at them they had their share of struggles down the stretch. The Rams had them beat in their own ballpark late in the fourth quarter only to fail because they played a soft zone and gave up two third and forever conversions. The Seahawks came within a few inches of beating them in the final regular season. The Seahawks were playing the whole game without their two top running backs. Niners finished the last 8 games 5-3 but could have easily fallen to 3-5. They traded their best inside defensive lineman for a promising rookie. The let their best overall pass receiver and veteran leader walk in free agency and plan to replace him with a rookie WR. Both their top draft picks are outstanding players in college football but they haven’t played a down in NFL. Those types of moves could pay great dividends down the road but I think they will hurt the 2020 version of the Niners especially in light of the possibility of limited training camps due to the virus. Niners have a good team but they will not surprise anyone this year and will be the marked team on the schedule. I believe they have the talent to go 10-6 or possibly 9-7 but they won’t match last years win total and I don’t think they could possibly win 12 games. NFC West champion will probably be a 10 win team. And that team will probably be the only team that can manage a winning record in the NFC West at 4-2
I agree with most of this but the SB hangover is what you make of it. Pats won it all a year after losing to the Eagles. 49ers dont have bloated contracts, or aging players and basically lost no one to FA or other. They have the best shot at a 12 win season out of anyone in our division, but that is just my opinion. We will see!
they lost good veteran players and locker room leaders in buckner, emmanuel sanders, brieda, goodwin, staley. they were lucky to be healthy all year like the rams were in 2018.

the niners will NOT go 12-4. vegas has them at 10.5 which is a tough bet because i think they will win 10 games or 11 max.

10 of their games will be against the LAR, seahawks, eags, pats, packers, saints, bills, cowboys. i do not think they will win 6 of these games in addition to sweeping the lesser opponents. for example, the cards lost 2 close games to them last year and we should have beaten them too. there are always surprises and like i said, they probably won't be as healthy as they were last year.



crazy-legs
Veteran
Posts: 2067
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:49 am
Contact:

Mon May 25, 2020 4:12 pm

Good evaluation of both teams....

The Whiners are going to be tough. I don't see them dropping off much. With that said if you want to beat the Whiners it's all about Jimmy G IMO. You pressure him and he'll make piss poor decisions. If I'm playing against them I'd have all 11 players within the first 5 yards of the LOS. I'd challenge them to beat me over the top. I don't think Jimmy G can do that...

As far as the Sea Chickens go they'll be tough just because they have good coaching (minus 1 play in the SB DOH!) and Wilson, one of the best QB's in the league. But I agree with you that I don't see a dominate team. Good but not great. I'd put them at the same level as us...

As for us we did nothing to upgrade our O-Line. They just expect everyone to stay healthy and play at a higher level. That was a huge mistake IMO. We're going to have serious problems against stout defensive fronts IMO...


Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

sanbagger
Veteran
Posts: 2346
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 pm
Contact:

Mon May 25, 2020 6:33 pm

crazy-legs wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:12 pm
Good evaluation of both teams....

The Whiners are going to be tough. I don't see them dropping off much. With that said if you want to beat the Whiners it's all about Jimmy G IMO. You pressure him and he'll make piss poor decisions. If I'm playing against them I'd have all 11 players within the first 5 yards of the LOS. I'd challenge them to beat me over the top. I don't think Jimmy G can do that...

As far as the Sea Chickens go they'll be tough just because they have good coaching (minus 1 play in the SB DOH!) and Wilson, one of the best QB's in the league. But I agree with you that I don't see a dominate team. Good but not great. I'd put them at the same level as us...

As for us we did nothing to upgrade our O-Line. They just expect everyone to stay healthy and play at a higher level. That was a huge mistake IMO. We're going to have serious problems against stout defensive fronts IMO...
I think it's more about the niners defense and running game...last year their defense ranked 8th andf I believe the team went as their defense went.....as far as offense I think it all hinged off the running game. The Shanahans always have a strong ground game, last year they ranked 2nd behind Baltimore and they key is to take the ground game away and make them 1 dimensional.

Jimmy G is gonna cough the ball up if the game is all about him....when he can use play action or defenses are forced to respect the run he is much more effective,

It's not always about the QB IMO and SF is definitely not about the QB



ocram23
Pro-bowler
Posts: 2949
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Contact:

Tue May 26, 2020 7:06 am

49RH8R wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:30 am
Faulk28allworld wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:39 pm
49RH8R wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:53 am
i love how the OP omitted the cardinals. i'll believe that AZ hype when i see it. they are the NFC version of the cleveland browns.

totally agree on the niners. why trade buckner??? if they wanted to save some cash and get a draft pick they should have let armstead walk for a 3rd round comp pick. buckner is a huge loss in the locker room too, even armstead was "shocked".
kinlaw has had a slew of injuries which is not good for a big man in the trenches.

they also gave up a 3rd next year and a 5th for trent williams. he could be a 1-year rental like emmanuel sanders. not sure how he will do or where his head is

aiyuk is a rookie WR and they take time to develop. i challenge anybody to look back at 1st round WR's the last 5 years. spoiler alert, huge bust factor.

they lost WR goodwin and RB brieda which is some good depth. the super bowl hangover is waiting for them and the rams are hungry so i can't wait to see these 2 matchups.
Bucker stat wise (looked it up) was 4th best on the 49ers Dline behind Bosa, Armstead, and Ford I believe. Armstead didnt have the trade value of a 1st rounder and Buckner wanted a big contract. He got 21 million per season. 49ers got a 1st and drafted his replacement. Id say they did good there. If you go back and check, Sanders realistically did nothing for them after the Saints game. He was non existent in the playoffs and the SB (stat wise). Definately not worth the 9 million per that the Saints cougjed up leadership its a loss but I would say that is it. Trent Williams is better than Joe Staley in my opinion, even being off a season. Lol at them going 8-8 when they basically didnt get any worse. Their secondary is their weakness and its because of depth, not talent. Personally I see them losing no more than 5 games. I follow all NFCW pretty closely as they are in the division. SB hangover may happen, but I cant see it personally. As for the Seahawks, they live and die with Wilson. Their defense got worse, and they have no depth. Cardinals are a sleeper team. They could be very good this season as they had a great draft. Im still undecided as for the division, but if I guessed right now Id go 49ers 1, Seattle 2, Rams 3, Cards 4.
sorry, not sure what stat you're looking at but buckner was not the 4th best DL on the niners. in fact, buckner is one of the best DL in the entire league behind aaron donald. you can't really compare him to nick bosa either because they play different positions. they went with armstead to save money and imo that was not smart. they could have even franchised armstead, kept buckner, and made another run with the same dominant D-Line. now they are one injury away from being average. kinlaw won't help much as a rookie and their secondary has problems that weren't addressed. garoppolo and the offense is average so they are ripe for a super bowl hangover.
I think they knew deep down they weren't going to be able to afford buckner so that is why they traded him. He was a force on the line for sure. They will definitely take a step back but you never know about Kinlaw, look what Bosa did in year 1. If Kinlaw plays up to 50% of what Buckner did it's a win for the 49ers. Remember they still have Dee Ford. Also they have to still sign Kittle and if Williams works out for them they will have to sign him as well.



49RH8R
Veteran
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:54 am
Location: California
Contact:

Wed May 27, 2020 11:26 am

ocram23 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:06 am
49RH8R wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:30 am
Faulk28allworld wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:39 pm

Bucker stat wise (looked it up) was 4th best on the 49ers Dline behind Bosa, Armstead, and Ford I believe. Armstead didnt have the trade value of a 1st rounder and Buckner wanted a big contract. He got 21 million per season. 49ers got a 1st and drafted his replacement. Id say they did good there. If you go back and check, Sanders realistically did nothing for them after the Saints game. He was non existent in the playoffs and the SB (stat wise). Definately not worth the 9 million per that the Saints cougjed up leadership its a loss but I would say that is it. Trent Williams is better than Joe Staley in my opinion, even being off a season. Lol at them going 8-8 when they basically didnt get any worse. Their secondary is their weakness and its because of depth, not talent. Personally I see them losing no more than 5 games. I follow all NFCW pretty closely as they are in the division. SB hangover may happen, but I cant see it personally. As for the Seahawks, they live and die with Wilson. Their defense got worse, and they have no depth. Cardinals are a sleeper team. They could be very good this season as they had a great draft. Im still undecided as for the division, but if I guessed right now Id go 49ers 1, Seattle 2, Rams 3, Cards 4.
sorry, not sure what stat you're looking at but buckner was not the 4th best DL on the niners. in fact, buckner is one of the best DL in the entire league behind aaron donald. you can't really compare him to nick bosa either because they play different positions. they went with armstead to save money and imo that was not smart. they could have even franchised armstead, kept buckner, and made another run with the same dominant D-Line. now they are one injury away from being average. kinlaw won't help much as a rookie and their secondary has problems that weren't addressed. garoppolo and the offense is average so they are ripe for a super bowl hangover.
I think they knew deep down they weren't going to be able to afford buckner so that is why they traded him. He was a force on the line for sure. They will definitely take a step back but you never know about Kinlaw, look what Bosa did in year 1. If Kinlaw plays up to 50% of what Buckner did it's a win for the 49ers. Remember they still have Dee Ford. Also they have to still sign Kittle and if Williams works out for them they will have to sign him as well.
that's why i think they should have franchised armstead (or signed him with the intention of trading him next year instead of buckner) and made another run with that D intact. the NFC is ripe for the taking unlike the stacked AFC (chiefs, ravens, titans, bills) .

that's why they play the games...



Post Reply
Rate this topic
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests