Face facts: the Dick speaks truth to power.

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
grackler
Starter

Thu May 21, 2020 9:35 am

Many (but hardly a majority) here routinely seem to minimize Eric Dickerson's opinions and public input. But maybe it's time to admit that much of the time his take is far more spot-on than is the Rams upper management....and he's not afraid to openly voice his opinions. For example, ED was among the first in the Ram family to speak truth to power and publicly break with the Fisher management regime (the result, of course, was Eric's banishment from the Ram's practices).

And who else linked to the Ram's front office has been more open and honest about the failed results of the long-awaited, Demoff-supervised, rebranding program --- the result of which include a childish (and virtually plagiarized) logo and strange new uniform/helmet designs that have little to no connection to the Ram's long and proud traditions in Southern California. Perhaps as importantly, ED had the courage to openly proclaim how little, if any, public input went into making final decisions about the new logos and uniforms.

Eric Dickerson may not be the slick, fine-haired con artist that Kevin Demoff has become.
Nevertheless, our Rams would be far better off to start really listening to many of ED's opinions and recommendations. They'd be be better for it.
Last edited by grackler on Thu May 21, 2020 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Thu May 21, 2020 9:48 am

grackler wrote:
Many (but hardly a majority) here routinely seem to minimize Eric Dickerson's opinions and public input. But maybe it's time to admit that much of the time his take is far more spot-on than is the Rams upper management....and he's not afraid to openly voice his opinions. For example, ED was among the first in the Ram family to speak truth to power and publicly break with the Fisher management regime (the result, of course, was Eric's banishment from the Ram's practices).

And who else linked to the Ram's front office has been more open and honest about the failed results of the long-awaited, Demoff-supervised, rebranding program --- the result of which include a childish (and virtually plagiarized) logo and strange new uniform/helmet designs that have little to no connection to the Rams long and proud proud traditions in Southern California. Perhaps as importantly, ED had the courage to openly proclaim how little, if any, public input went into making final decisions about the new logos and uniforms.

Eric Dickerson may not be the slick, fine-haired con artist that Kevin Demoff has become.
Nevertheless, our Rams would be far better off to start really listening to many of ED's opinions and recommendations. They'd be be better for it.
I love the fact ED isn't afraid of speaking his mind about Rams management. He was the first Ram alum to go after Fisher publicly on the radio which started the downfall of him. I know some guys don't like him but he is a great ambassador for this franchise.

Raminec
Veteran

Thu May 21, 2020 10:06 am

Dickerson is a Ram legend and is connected to the team but his position is more of a ambassador for the Rams attempt to reconnect with the LA fan base. His opinion is important but not necessarily any more important than the average fan. Dickerson got himself in trouble in the Fisher era because he was expressing his opinions on the coaching staff’s decisions directly to players on the sidelines. Not a Fisher fan but no coach is going to put up with that kind of crap. As for the uniforms Dickerson’s opinions hold little weight in the Rams organization and he’s not going to change anybody’s mind especially KD. Rams have made their choice on logos and uniform design and colors and only time will tell exactly how well received the uniforms are. A good majority of this board doesn’t like the changes. I like some of the elements and would like to see how they look on game day to make final judgement. The bottom line will be sales revenue of the new aspects. If they don’t sell them they will probably consider changing them. The uniforms won’t have anything to do with the Rams performance on the field but their performance on the field will impact apparel sales. If the Rams win on the field they will sell jerseys regardless of the design. A perfect example of this lies in some of the hideous combinations of colors the Rams changed to immediately after winning their first Super Bowl in St. Louis. Those crappy gold/shit stain brown road uniforms were without a doubt the worst ever but sales were brisk until the Rams fell off the cliff a few years later. If you win games they will buy.

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 am

Raminec wrote:
Dickerson is a Ram legend and is connected to the team but his position is more of a ambassador for the Rams attempt to reconnect with the LA fan base. His opinion is important but not necessarily any more important than the average fan. Dickerson got himself in trouble in the Fisher era because he was expressing his opinions on the coaching staff’s decisions directly to players on the sidelines. Not a Fisher fan but no coach is going to put up with that kind of crap. As for the uniforms Dickerson’s opinions hold little weight in the Rams organization and he’s not going to change anybody’s mind especially KD. Rams have made their choice on logos and uniform design and colors and only time will tell exactly how well received the uniforms are. A good majority of this board doesn’t like the changes. I like some of the elements and would like to see how they look on game day to make final judgement. The bottom line will be sales revenue of the new aspects. If they don’t sell them they will probably consider changing them. The uniforms won’t have anything to do with the Rams performance on the field but their performance on the field will impact apparel sales. If the Rams win on the field they will sell jerseys regardless of the design. A perfect example of this lies in some of the hideous combinations of colors the Rams changed to immediately after winning their first Super Bowl in St. Louis. Those crappy gold/shit stain brown road uniforms were without a doubt the worst ever but sales were brisk until the Rams fell off the cliff a few years later. If you win games they will buy.
His opinion holds a lot more weight than the average fan. The average fan couldn't warrant a 20 minute segment on the radio or TV. He does reflect a lot of us fans frustration with some of the decisions over the years and especially with this horrible uniform issue.

UtahRam
Veteran

Thu May 21, 2020 11:07 am

Raminec wrote:
I disagree big time. These uniforms, although not the classic togs they should have kept, were great. These are 100 times better than what we have now. The dome lighting certainly sucked. I think LA fans just hate everything about St. Louis. I'm not a territorial fan so I could give two shits about the cities.

harkin
Pro-bowler

Thu May 21, 2020 11:34 am

UtahRam wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:07 am
I disagree big time. These uniforms, although not the classic togs they should have kept, were great. These are 100 times better than what we have now.

I agree and disagree.

Those uniforms are MUCH better than the new Best Buy pajamas but they were never great. The Rams wearing them were great.

Even though much less than optimum, at least that design still contained the traditional general design (if not all the colors) of the Rams.

Been waiting years (except for throwback games) for Rams to finally seal their return to LA by embracing tradition and history and instead they crapped the bed.

The most amazing thing is they took their iconic helmet horns, the first and by far BEST helmet design ever.....and broke it. This group of very smart people now running the team made a decision that is worse than Georgia’s uniform re-design.

I did not think that was possible.

ElAcky
Pro-bowler

Thu May 21, 2020 11:38 am

The guy took off for cash... why is he even associate with the rams... prefer to see Kurts or isaacs opinions...

Why doesn’t he go and talk about the Colts who paid him

grackler
Starter

Thu May 21, 2020 11:49 am

ElAcky wrote:
The guy took off for cash... why is he even associate with the rams... prefer to see Kurts or isaacs opinions...

Well, that's your opinion and, of course, however misguided and inaccurate it might be, you're entitled to it.

But that doesn't change the fact that Dickerson knows NFL football, has the Ram's best interests at heart and expresses his opinions openly and honestly.

I'll take that any day to the deceptive and often incompetent Ram management that's running things at the moment.

ElAcky
Pro-bowler

Thu May 21, 2020 11:54 am

grackler wrote:
ElAcky wrote:

Well, that's your opinion and, of course, however misguided and inaccurate it might be, you're entitled to it.

But that doesn't change the fact that Dickerson knows NFL football, has the Ram's best interests at heart and expresses his opinions openly and honestly.

I'll take that any day to the deceptive and often incompetent Ram management that's running things at the moment.
Yes he certainly had the Rams interest at heart while signing that colts contract...

I really hate how we let Kurt, Isaac and Holt go elsewhere after all they gave us...

But this dude is just another opinionated mercenary!!

Having said that I loved watching him!!

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Thu May 21, 2020 12:03 pm

ElAcky wrote:
grackler wrote:
ElAcky wrote:

Yes he certainly had the Rams interest at heart while signing that colts contract...

I really hate how we let Kurt, Isaac and Holt go elsewhere after all they gave us...

such a naive comment elacky. the NFL is a business and when he played Rams ownership was horrible and they weren't paying him. I have no issue with him going to Indy.

LARAMFAN52
Veteran

Thu May 21, 2020 12:20 pm

The new unis are pure fire

Best in the league by far

No doubt about it

LARAMFAN52
Veteran

Thu May 21, 2020 12:21 pm

The bone is particularly awesome,looks great!!!

ElAcky
Pro-bowler

Thu May 21, 2020 12:40 pm

ocram23 wrote:
ElAcky wrote:
grackler wrote:

such a naive comment elacky. the NFL is a business and when he played Rams ownership was horrible and they weren't paying him. I have no issue with him going to Indy.
Sure and that’s fine but why be associated with the rams then... why should we listen to a guy that chased the money and didn’t give the rams a discount to do something special...

Where was the loyalty?

Fundamentally that’s why I have no time for his “look at me” comments.

RamPower
Veteran

Thu May 21, 2020 12:49 pm

ElAcky wrote:
grackler wrote:
ElAcky wrote:

He was amazing to watch. Could be a bit of a fumbler at times perhaps if there was any downside, but yeah he was a human lightning bolt.

The wanting more money thing though, well that's not unusual for a superstar for starters obviously. But beyond that, anyone having to deal with that bitch Frontiere - I'm trusting ED on that one.

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Thu May 21, 2020 12:55 pm

RamPower wrote:
ElAcky wrote:
grackler wrote:

He was amazing to watch. Could be a bit of a fumbler at times perhaps if there was any downside, but yeah he was a human lightning bolt.

The wanting more money thing though, well that's not unusual for a superstar for starters obviously. But beyond that, anyone having to deal with that bitch Frontiere - I'm trusting ED on that one.
Georgia, the stripper who murdered Carroll, was one of the worst owners ever so I don't blame him one bit for doing what he did.

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Thu May 21, 2020 12:57 pm

ElAcky wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:40 pm
ocram23 wrote:
ElAcky wrote:

Sure and that’s fine but why be associated with the rams then... why should we listen to a guy that chased the money and didn’t give the rams a discount to do something special...

Where was the loyalty?

Fundamentally that’s why I have no time for his “look at me” comments.
Loyalty is a 2 way street and with Georgia there wasn't any loyalty. Loyalty is professional sports doesn't exist. Look at The Last Dance with Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls. Owners aren't loyal so why should the players???

DMRamFan
Starter

Thu May 21, 2020 1:10 pm

ocram23 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:55 pm
RamPower wrote:
ElAcky wrote:

Georgia, the stripper who murdered Carroll, was one of the worst owners ever so I don't blame him one bit for doing what he did.
STill amazing we won a SB under her ownership. I don't even think she knew what to do w herself when we won it all. Must be fun to inherit a team.

Prove me wrong

sdram
Pro-bowler

Sat May 23, 2020 6:56 am

harkin wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:34 am
Those uniforms are MUCH better than the new Best Buy pajamas but they were never great. The Rams wearing them were great.

Even though much less than optimum, at least that design still contained the traditional general design (if not all the colors) of the Rams.

Been waiting years (except for throwback games) for Rams to finally seal their return to LA by embracing tradition and history and instead they crapped the bed.

The most amazing thing is they took their iconic helmet horns, the first and by far BEST helmet design ever.....and broke it. This group of very smart people now running the team made a decision that is worse than Georgia’s uniform re-design.

I did not think that was possible.
100% agree.

Regarding Dickerson the fact he left for more money as a player doesn’t diminish fact that he has now become the Rams biggest fan and supporter-our Rambassador. His opinions carry a lot of weight. Hopefully he can do something about the pitiful bananas on the helmet.

zackn
Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 7:07 am

grackler wrote:

All ex-jocks know NFL football but not all of them are entitled jerks. Plus I am not so sure praising Mannion is an indication of football knowledge. Either way none of that qualifies him on uniforms--on that he just has an opinion like everyone else. All ex-Rams like Everett and Bruce and Holt have the Rams best interests at heart and not all of them are loudmouth grousers.

Commish
Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 12:03 pm

zackn wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:07 am

All ex-jocks know NFL football but not all of them are entitled jerks. Plus I am not so sure praising Mannion is an indication of football knowledge. Either way none of that qualifies him on uniforms--on that he just has an opinion like everyone else. All ex-Rams like Everett and Bruce and Holt have the Rams best interests at heart and not all of them are loudmouth grousers.
Agreed--aesthetic appeal is entirely subjective, and in the case of preference for uniforms, having been an NFL player means *zero* in terms of making those judgments.

It's hardly surprising that Eric Dickerson would've preferred our team going back to the uniforms he wore in his Rams playing days, just as many of us who cheered for him back then (myself included) would also have preferred that, however it was always extremely improbable.

Dickerson's personal perspective on aesthetic matters is just one individual's opinion... ;) :? :roll:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

MacNasty
Starter

Sat May 23, 2020 12:33 pm

Demoff is an executive cap wizard more than he is a football CEO. I give him a lot of credit for the hire of McVay but long term I think it would be wise for Kroenke to go get himself a team president who can run the whole thing with an actual football GM type background. In other words having a football mind making the key decisions for this franchise and have Demoff as the cap guy underneath him.

Barring that go get a better GM and let him run the show while keeping Demoff on the cap.

Either way I think Dickerson understands the general weakness of the Rams' front office. And he's right. Look at all the dynasties in the history of this league and you won't find any that were run at the top by a money guy.

zackn
Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 2:51 pm

MacNasty wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:33 pm
Demoff is an executive cap wizard more than he is a football CEO. I give him a lot of credit for the hire of McVay but long term I think it would be wise for Kroenke to go get himself a team president who can run the whole thing with an actual football GM type background. In other words having a football mind making the key decisions for this franchise and have Demoff as the cap guy underneath him.

Barring that go get a better GM and let him run the show while keeping Demoff on the cap.

Either way I think Dickerson understands the general weakness of the Rams' front office. And he's right. Look at all the dynasties in the history of this league and you won't find any that were run at the top by a money guy.
Demoff doesn't run the Rams football side. That's split between Snead and McVay. This is not a Shaw/Zygmunt situation. The Rams football side is not run by a money guy.

zackn
Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 2:54 pm

grackler wrote:
But maybe it's time to admit that much of the time his take is far more spot-on than is the Rams upper management...
Why would I admit something that's wrong? 8-) Especially THAT wrong. I don't think ED as a loud talking head is all that right about all that much all that often. Certainly not more than Rams management when it comes to Rams issues.

It surprises me when he gets taken seriously. He's a self-centered loudmouth with some strong bad opinions.

Commish
Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 3:51 pm

zackn wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:51 pm

Demoff doesn't run the Rams football side. That's split between Snead and McVay. This is not a Shaw/Zygmunt situation. The Rams football side is not run by a money guy.
That was my perception too, especially based on the glimpses into the '17 Rams 'draft war room' shown in the last episode of "All or Nothing: A Season with the (2016) Los Angeles Rams."

Kevin Demoff was in the room, as was Stan Kroenke, however Les Snead and Sean McVay were the primary ones discussing and deciding draft strategy, based on what was shown. (McVay did tell Kroenke about a specific move the team was making, yet it was merely informing him.)

Whether giving credit or assigning blame for our team's competition-based decisions, I'd venture that the responsibility lies with the Snead/McVay 'dynamic duo'... :) 8-) :geek:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

butch58
Bench Warmer

Sat May 23, 2020 9:23 pm

grackler wrote:

And who else linked to the Ram's front office has been more open and honest about the failed results of the long-awaited, Demoff-supervised, rebranding program --- the result of which include a childish (and virtually plagiarized) logo and strange new uniform/helmet designs that have little to no connection to the Ram's long and proud traditions in Southern California. Perhaps as importantly, ED had the courage to openly proclaim how little, if any, public input went into making final decisions about the new logos and uniforms.

Sorry, man but Dick is a selfish lout who has no business speaking for Rams fans. If any of you were around when he played for us you'd understand. Yeah, he's that shiny object that says 2105 yards but if you were with us then you'd know where he's coming from.

I wish he would have done well with the Colts, Raiders, or Falcons, then their fans would have to see his two-face like we have to. I just wish he would go away...but, he won't.

He has no place else to go. Indy hates him, Raiders just want to count him as one of their Hall of Famers and the Falcons just don't care.
The Rams let him in at his request and because they need to sell tickets. Remember "2105"?...he won't let anyone forget, least of all the Rams and their organization.

I'll not go back and forth with any of you...this had to be said.

Rate this topic
  • Information