McVay"s Philosophy of Defense?

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
Safety Blitz
Veteran

Fri May 22, 2020 11:33 am

Awhile back I read McVay will get more in involved with the defense. Then he hired Staley. I wonder how much of a free reign the rookie DC will be given.

Has anyone heard him talk about defense?

"In McVay We Trust!"

Yorkshire Ram
Bench Warmer

Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 pm

There's an article on the Rams website that talks about Staley installing his new defense and how well it's going down with all the players.

His scheme seems to allow lots of players to make big plays. There's no real mention of McVay other than Staley shares his energy and enthusiasm. I'm sure Sean will have had some input but you'd like to think he'll let Staley do his thing.

As an aside, Staley and Ramsey seem to have hit it off immediately, which hopefully bodes well.

harkin
Pro-bowler

Fri May 22, 2020 1:13 pm

If Staley and Ramsey are hitting it off, then he must have told him they’ll be playing more man coverage.

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Fri May 22, 2020 6:21 pm

I wonder if Staley will blitz more than Wade did. We have some DBS who can skillfully blitz.

"In McVay We Trust!"

Rammo
Bench Warmer

Fri May 22, 2020 7:44 pm

I hope Staley/McVay's philosophy of defense is to attack and crush the opposing QB while penetrating the o-line to stifle the run before it ever gets to the line of scrimmage. Close enough pressure man to man to force the opposing QB to hold the ball for a beat allowing no easy quick passes. We have the right D-line to do it and I really love that aggressive style 0f defense

brasilrams
Pro-bowler

Fri May 22, 2020 8:25 pm

Safety Blitz wrote:
I wonder if Staley will blitz more than Wade did. We have some DBS who can skillfully blitz.
I fucking hope so . Wade was too scared to blitz . Would drive me nuts when he was rushing 3 guys and the qb was no max protect with 5 guys and the qb would have like 10 minutes to throw the ball . used to Drive me fucking insane

sanbagger
Veteran

Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 pm

Safety Blitz wrote:
Wade Phillips was more aggressive than one would think...in 2017 he blitzed 37% of the time qualifying for one of the more blitz heavy teams...in 2019 he blitzed 29% ranking middle of the pack...did he just go soft or was he playing what was dictated by the personnel grouping?...also....WP loves to play man to man with the corners but he when he came over with McV he was playing more zone, why?....I tend to believe WP didn't just have a set scheme, he would adjust his calls by his grouping and what the players would respond to in a positive way.

That said....I would expect more of the same by the incoming DC because that's what coordinators do.

unclesams
Veteran

Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 pm

sanbagger wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 pm
Safety Blitz wrote:
Wade Phillips was more aggressive than one would think...in 2017 he blitzed 37% of the time qualifying for one of the more blitz heavy teams...in 2019 he blitzed 29% ranking middle of the pack...did he just go soft or was he playing what was dictated by the personnel grouping?...also....WP loves to play man to man with the corners but he when he came over with McV he was playing more zone, why?....I tend to believe WP didn't just have a set scheme, he would adjust his calls by his grouping and what the players would respond to in a positive way.

That said....I would expect more of the same by the incoming DC because that's what coordinators do.
I have to disagree with expecting the same defense as Wade Phillips. The NFC West teams over the three year period became more accustomed to Wade Phillips defense and that's why the Seahawks and 49ers closed the gap against the Rams from year one and two. Staley will not have anything like Wade Phillips had and that will throw NFC West teams back to the drawing board. I think Staley will play man coverage most of the time and QB's like Garrappolo that lock on to one and only one receiver and has no progression, will faulter big time....McVay will do the same for the offense this season and make major changes but still be aggressive pushing the ball down field.

I honestly feel the Rams are going to be a force on both sides of the ball and put up big numbers on the scoreboard all season.

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 8:09 am

Wade's blitz stats are misleading because sending a single linebacker while playing a 3-4 isn't exactly fooling anyone. His blitzes were predictable and largely ineffective.

"In McVay We Trust!"

sanbagger
Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 9:06 am

unclesams wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 pm
I have to disagree with expecting the same defense as Wade Phillips.
I didn't mean to come across as saying they would employ the same defensive scheme, what I was trying to say is Staley will mix and match as he becomes more familiar with the players and will work to their strengths which is exactly what Wade did.

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 am

McVay needs to worry about the offensive side of the ball. his play calling last year was a complete failure. Let Staley worry about the defense

CierraRam
Veteran

Sun May 24, 2020 7:59 am

ocram23 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 am
McVay needs to worry about the offensive side of the ball. his play calling last year was a complete failure. Let Staley worry about the defense
Last season he didnt have the bug in his ear and was way late in adapting. Bringing in the TE's as primary weapons, etc. I still feel like that had McVay done this much earlier, when it was clear defense's were on to his 11p scheme... they would have made the playoffs. Now, I just hope he keeps those changes. It clearly makes them unpredictable again.

Rate this topic
  • Information