Name these Ram QB's

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
DMRamFan
Veteran

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:45 pm

Name them, who is the greatest and why?.

total of 7 here...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DMRamFan on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Change my mind

DMRamFan
Veteran

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:46 pm

Next 3...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Change my mind

DMRamFan
Veteran

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:47 pm

The last...

Change my mind

Skyhook
Starter

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:37 pm

I'll go with Van Brocklin, Waterfield, Warner, Warren Beatty, Everett, Gabe, and Namath

:R

SinCityRam
Bench Warmer

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:44 pm

What, no Dieter Brock?? :lol: :lol:

Great list. I think you covered all the top guys.

If you ram it just right, you can ram it all night.

-Eric Dickerson

Commish
Veteran

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:59 pm

Skyhook wrote:
I'll go with Van Brocklin, Waterfield, Warner, Warren Beatty, Everett, Gabe, and Namath
Agreed, however I'd ask the Original Poster: Joe Namath, who started four whole games for our team back in 1977, before being benched in favor of Pat Haden, really?

I'd certainly rather go with Vince Ferragamo and Marc Bulger over "Broadway Joe," also Billy Wade, James Harris and Haden--who went 8-2 with the '77 Rams after Namath's 2-2 start.

I'd even go with 'one-season wonders' (while playing for the Good Guys) like John Hadl and Chris Miller over Namath... :P :o :roll:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

UHURA: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

sanbagger
Veteran

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:39 am

Commish wrote:
Skyhook wrote:
Agreed, however I'd ask the Original Poster: Joe Namath, who started four whole games for our team back in 1977, before being benched in favor of Pat Haden, really?

I'd certainly rather go with Vince Ferragamo and Marc Bulger over "Broadway Joe," also Billy Wade, James Harris and Haden--who went 8-2 with the '77 Rams after Namath's 2-2 start.

I'd even go with 'one-season wonders' (while playing for the Good Guys) like John Hadl and Chris Miller over Namath... :P :o :roll:

ram pathos...

--The Commish
It wasn't a list of the greatest Ram QB's....I mean how many games did Warren Beatty really play for the Rams?

Fun post OP with a couple worthy of a wink

DMRamFan
Veteran

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:41 am

Commish wrote:
Skyhook wrote:

ram pathos...

--The Commish
I threw in 2 zingers in there and you guys got them both. Joe Pendleton (WB) And Namath. Funny how many people never knew Broadway made his way west to our team (and yes, he was awful for us).

Change my mind

DMRamFan
Veteran

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:58 am

sanbagger wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:39 am
Commish wrote:
Skyhook wrote:

ram pathos...

--The Commish
It wasn't a list of the greatest Ram QB's....I mean how many games did Warren Beatty really play for the Rams?

Fun post OP with a couple worthy of a wink
Correct Sanbagger, but I can see why it was confusing... I wrote who is the greatest and why? (What I meant was, who is the greatest from the list).

BUT, I’d love to hear who is our GREATEST TOP 5 Rams QB’s and Why?

Change my mind

Skyhook
Starter

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:23 am

I never saw Van Brocklin or Waterfield play but I think both are in the hall of fame. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

As far as individual great seasons....Warner has easily the 2 best in 1999 and 2001.

Other great seasons...

Goff 2018, Everett 1989, Hadl 1973, Gabriel 1969....to mention the ones that stick out the most. Who am I missing?

Goff has already put himself in the top 5 and is arguably the second best QB on the Ram list post NFL/AFL merger

Commish
Veteran

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:39 pm

DMRamFan wrote:

{#'s 1-3} Bob Waterfield, Norm van Brocklin & Kurt Warner

The order of these three is debatable (I've merely listed them chronologically), however they led our team to its three NFL championships in Cleveland (Waterfield in 1945), Los Angeles (Van Brocklin & Waterfield in '51) and St. Louis (Warner in '99).

Those title games were all close, so these guys made some clutch plays in those contests. Both Van Brocklin (to Tom Fears) and Warner (to Isaac Bruce) threw game-winning, 73-yard TD passes in the fourth quarter of their championship-game victories.

{#4} Roman Gabriel

To me, he's on a separate tier of his own, below the 'Big Three' yet clearly above anyone else. Once he became the Rams clearcut starting QB ('66), he seemed to perform somewhat better in odd-numbered years than in even-numbered ones, still overall he was in the good-to-very good range--excellent in '69, of course.

Gabriel's major weakness was that he was mediocre as a playoff QB, in both of his postseason appearances (losses for the Good Guys) he started out playing fairly well yet finished ineffectively.

{#'s 5-7} Vince Ferragamo, Jim Everett & Marc Bulger

I'm wavering over which of these guys to put at #5, if I point-blank had to choose it would likely be Ferragamo since he did lead our team to its first Super Bowl berth back in '79.

It's interesting that over four straight decades ('60s-90s), the final year (ending in 9) was either the best or second-best one of that decade for the Rams... :) 8-) :idea:

ram pathos...

--The Commish
Last edited by Commish on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rammo
Bench Warmer

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:44 am

1. Warner
2. Goff
3. Bulger
4. Everett
The other older guys were before my time-Goff has to be number two he took the team to a Super bowl this early in his career.

DMRamFan
Veteran

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:19 am

Commish wrote:
DMRamFan wrote:

{#'s 1-3} Bob Waterfield, Norm van Brocklin & Kurt Warner

The order of these three is debatable (I've merely listed them chronologically), however they led our team to its three NFL championships in Cleveland (Waterfield in 1945), Los Angeles (Van Brocklin & Waterfield in '51) and St. Louis (Warner in '99).

Those games were all close, so these guys made some clutch plays in those contests. Both Van Brocklin (to Tom Fears) and Warner (to Isaac Bruce) threw game-winning, 73-yard TD passes in the fourth quarter of their championship-game victories.

{#4} Roman Gabriel

To me, he's on a separate tier of his own, below the 'Big Three' yet clearly above anyone else. Once he became the Rams clearcut starting QB ('66), he seemed to perform somewhat better in odd-numbered years than in even-numbered ones, still overall he was in the good-to-very good range--excellent in '69, of course.

Gabriel's major weakness was that he was mediocre as a playoff QB, in both of his postseason appearances (losses for the Good Guys) he started out playing fairly well yet finished ineffectively.

{#'s 5-7} Vince Ferragamo, Jim Everett & Marc Bulger

I'm wavering over which of these guys to put at #5, if I point-blank had to choose it would likely be Ferragamo since he did lead our team to its first Super Bowl berth back in '79.

It's interesting that over four straight decades ('60s-90s), the final year (ending in 9) was either the best or second-best one of that decade for the Rams... :) 8-) :idea:

ram pathos...

--The Commish
Would you venture to say that Goff is very similar to Gabriel?

Change my mind

harkin
Pro-bowler

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 am

Every one of them (even Joe Pendleton) sporting real horns.

Love it.

Commish
Veteran

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:03 pm

DMRamFan wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:19 am
Commish wrote:

{#4} Roman Gabriel

ram pathos...
Would you venture to say that Goff is very similar to Gabriel?
To be blunt, I'm highly doubtful that Roman Gabriel, even at his peak performance level in 1967 or '69, could have led our 2018 team to a victory over the Saints in the NFC championship game--I'm not even certain that he would've led the '18 Rams to a win vs. the Cowboys in the NFC divisional round a week earlier.

Gabriel simply wasn't very effective as a playoff QB, however overall he was a good-to-very-good QB from the '66 through '71 seasons.

We'll have to see if Jared Goff can maintain that level of consistency for the Good Guys... ;) :? :|

ram pathos...

--The Commish

larams84
Bench Warmer

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 pm

harkin wrote:

Love it.
Tom Jarrett!!! Joe had ceased to exist at that point!!!

Skyhook
Starter

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 pm

larams84 wrote:
harkin wrote:

Love it.

Actually he did exist....sort of. Joe Pendleton was living in Tom Jarrett's body after Jarrett died on the field.

Fun movie

SinCityRam
Bench Warmer

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:49 pm

How about some love for Shack Harris? As starter he helped the rams to back to back division titles in ‘74 and ‘75 just couldn’t stay healthy unfortunately. Rams were also still playing musical chairs with their QBs in those days.

If you ram it just right, you can ram it all night.

-Eric Dickerson

Commish
Veteran

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm

larams84 wrote:
harkin wrote:

Love it.
Well, to get somewhat 'metaphysical' here, I suppose that it was Joe Pendleton's spirit (soul) occupying Tom Jarrett's body, however the consciousness was still Jarrett's.

It was a complicated situation, however it did result in the Rams winning the Super Bowl... :) 8-) :idea:

ram pathos...

--The Commish

larams84
Bench Warmer

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:07 am

Skyhook wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 pm
larams84 wrote:
harkin wrote:

Love it.

Actually he did exist....sort of. Joe Pendleton was living in Tom Jarrett's body after Jarrett died on the field.

Fun movie
Yes, it was a fun movie!! Always nice to see your favorite team win the SB.
You know you're right... Joe was co existing in Tom Jarrett's body because they both knew of winning the SB.
Joe right after the game and Tom after the locker room scene where Joe was gone and he was then just Tom Jarrett!! Things you can't explain!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Can you imagine today letting him spring up from the gurney and go out and play? Gotta love the movies!!!

DMRamFan
Veteran

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:46 am

Change my mind

haroldjackson
Starter

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:49 am

Namath was all washed up when he got here. Put John Hadl on that list. He could really throw a great long ball.

Rammer
Pro-bowler

Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:32 pm

haroldjackson wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:49 am
Namath was all washed up when he got here. Put John Hadl on that list. He could really throw a great long ball.
He liked throwing to you, Harold.

clevelandrams
Veteran

Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:42 pm

Heaven can wait, obviously predicted Rams vs Pitt in the Super bowl

Rate this topic
  • Information