is LA stuck with Chargers?

Rate this topic
Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
Rams57
Starter

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:33 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Great post 08ny !!! Will uniforms have a positive or negative affect on new L.A. football fans, that both teams are seeking? If the Chargers have a winning season with killer unis , and the RAMS have a losing season, with unis that half the fan base and NFL fans both hate, does that mean anything? Will watching the Rams play in uniforms you hate, make watching the game less enjoyable? Will it be like watching the Rams in crap St. Louis uniforms again, but worse with no ram horns on the helmet? Makes no difference to those who love new Rams' uniform, or if the Rams have a great year, I get that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rams57 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElAcky
Pro-bowler

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Some times I wonder whether this is a Rams or Chargers forum!!

Rams57
Starter

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:07 pm

I'm a life long Rams fan, but I have no hate for the Chargers. I hope they succeed in L.A., that would be great for SOFI and the area. If the Chargers win good for them, when the Rams play them, I want the Rams to win. Only team I want to LOSE every game are the frisco 49ers. A 49er loss feels almost as good as a RAMS' win.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:17 pm

ElAcky wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm
Some times I wonder whether this is a Rams or Chargers forum!!
acknowledging the fact that the rams new logo sucks ass and the chargers rocks has nothing to do with this not being a rams forum. just speaking truth here

DMRamFan
Veteran

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:28 pm

Here is the issues:

I lived in San Diego for 10 years before moving back to Orange County a few years ago. I remember when Spanos and the city put the stadium and financing up for a vote numerous times in SD. and they all failed miserably.

Spano is one of the poorest owners in the NFL at roughly $900M (Mark Davis/Raiders is the poorest at $300M which will change when they move to Vegas of course. Our Man Stan is 2nd wealthiest at $10B+ behind D.Tepper w the Panthers ar $12.3B. But if you combine Stan and his wife Ann Walton, they are worth $15.3+B together, so unless Ann set up a 'Massey' prenup... They are the wealthiest owners in the NFL).

So, I digress... . Spanos inherited the team from his father and did not really build much wealth in other ventures as most owners do). So Spanos made it 'seem' like the only option for the Chargers to stay in SD was to get a new stadium (notice I said 'seem'...I'll dive into that later). So in that case, Spanos was to either get private funding (which he failed) or get public funds (which he failed). So he was basically left with a rotting stadium and eroding fan base. Actually the main reason for the eroding fan base I believe was because when Spanos was trying to get the city to help fund the new stadium, his main counter to the city and the voters was...' Vote for public stadium funds or we may have to leave'. This did not sit well with the fans, at all. And this went on for years.

I believe Spanos knew the outcome from the beginning (He knew the city wouldn't approve it and he knew he was going to move the team). This why I wrote 'seemed' above. He always knew leaving SD and going to LA or a new market would catapult the valuation of his franchise. And guess what... it did. it almost did exactly that when they moved to LA. The last year they were (2015) in SD they were valued at $2.08B. 2020 they are valued at $2.63B. Now not a huge increase with inflation, but I can assure if they were still in 'The Q', they may still be valued at $2B maybe.

This was purely a business move. Everyone's gut feeling in LA and the surrounding area is that the Chargers are like the Clippers here in LA (This is a Laker town), yet the Clippers have more fans :lol: . So worse than Clippers I guess. But for Spanos, he can never go back to SD. He is viewed as pure garbage in SD.

The ONY way the Chargers would be welcomed back to SD and with open arms by the fans... is if Spanos sells to a wealthy new owner. And when I say wealthy, I mean that the owner can fund the new stadium with his own Capital Group. The new ownership group also has to have a passion to move them back to SD and away from LA. Mainly because LA is the second-largest market in the U.S. and San Diego is considered a smaller market (But if you have no fans in LA compared to what you have in SD waiting for you, then there you go). They also cannot use public funds unless they get a mayor and city council to be on board with that (which will never happen I think). I believe this will happen, if you look at the Chargers they are a good team. They are respected. But almost everyone in So Cal sees their rightful home in San Diego.

The day will come, mark my words.
Last edited by DMRamFan on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Change my mind

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:39 pm

DMRamFan wrote:
Here is the issues:

I lived in San Diego for 10 years before moving back to Orange County a few years ago. I remember when Spanos and the city put the stadium and financing up for a vote numerous times in SD. and they all failed miserably.

Spano is one of the poorest owners in the NFL at roughly $900M (Mark Davis/Raiders is the poorest at $300M which will change when they move to Vegas of course. Our Man Stan is 2nd wealthiest at $10B+ behind D.Tepper w the Panthers ar $12.3B. But if you combine Stan and his wife Ann Walton, they are worth $15.3+B together, so unless Ann set up a 'Massey' prenup... They are the wealthiest owners in the NFL).

So, I digress... . Spanor inherited the team from his father. So Stan made it 'seem' like the only option for the Chargers to stat in SD was to get a new stadium (notice I said 'seem'...I'll dive into that later). So in that case, Spanos was to either get private funding (which he failed) or get public funds (which he failed). So he was basically left with a rotting stadium and eroding fan base. Actually the main reason for the eroding fan base I believe was because when Spanos was trying to get the city to help fund the new stadium, his main counter to the city and the voters was...'Vote for public stadium funds or we may have to leave'. This did not sit well with the fans, at all. And this went on for years.

I believe Spanos knew the outcome from the beginning. This why I wrote 'seemed' above. He always knew leaving SD and going to LA or a new market would catapult the valuation of his franchise. And guess what... it did. it almost did exactly that when they moved to LA. The last year they were (2015) in SD they were valued at $2.08B. 2020 they are valued at $2.63B. Now not a huge increase with inflation, but I can assure if they were still in 'The Q', they may still be valued at $2B maybe.

This was purely a business move. Everyone's gut feeling in LA and the surrounding area is that the Chargers are like to Clippers here in LA, yet the Clippers have more fans :lol: . So worse than Clippers I guess. But for Spanos, he can never go back to SD. He is viewed as pure garbage in SD.

The ONY way the Chargers would be welcomed back to SD and with open arms by the fans... is if Spanos sells to a wealthy new owner. And when I say wealthy, I mean that the owner can fund the new stadium with his own Capital Group. The new ownership group also has to have a passion to move them back to SD and away from LA. Mainly because LA is the second-largest market in the U.S. and San Diego is considered a smaller market (But if you have no fans in LA compared to what you have in SD waiting for you, then there you go). They also cannot use public funds unless they get a mayor and city council to be on board with that (which will never happen I think). I believe this will happen, if you look at the Chargers they are a good team. They are respected. But almost everyone in So Cal sees their rightful home in San Diego.

yeah I was down there for 5 years as well. Spanos is a terrible owner that is for sure. But the city of SD shares the blame as well. Faulkner, mayor, is a complete dipshit that didn't work with the chargers organization at all. both sides couldn't agree on a location, either downtown or re-do qualcomm. Thirdly the people of SD wouldn't pay a dime. The one thing I never understood was the last alternative was having a 7% hotel tax that was put on the people coming into SD and the hotel industry voted against it. I know speaking for myself when I go down there for a kids baseball tournament or what have you I would have zero issues paying for a hotel tax. what choice do you have???? kind of short sighted considering how much revenue the chargers would have brought into the city.

DMRamFan
Veteran

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:51 pm

ocram23 wrote:
DMRamFan wrote:
Here is the issues:

So, I digress... . Spanor inherited the team from his father. So Stan made it 'seem' like the only option for the Chargers to stat in SD was to get a new stadium (notice I said 'seem'...I'll dive into that later). So in that case, Spanos was to either get private funding (which he failed) or get public funds (which he failed). So he was basically left with a rotting stadium and eroding fan base. Actually the main reason for the eroding fan base I believe was because when Spanos was trying to get the city to help fund the new stadium, his main counter to the city and the voters was...'Vote for public stadium funds or we may have to leave'. This did not sit well with the fans, at all. And this went on for years.

I believe Spanos knew the outcome from the beginning. This why I wrote 'seemed' above. He always knew leaving SD and going to LA or a new market would catapult the valuation of his franchise. And guess what... it did. it almost did exactly that when they moved to LA. The last year they were (2015) in SD they were valued at $2.08B. 2020 they are valued at $2.63B. Now not a huge increase with inflation, but I can assure if they were still in 'The Q', they may still be valued at $2B maybe.

This was purely a business move. Everyone's gut feeling in LA and the surrounding area is that the Chargers are like to Clippers here in LA, yet the Clippers have more fans :lol: . So worse than Clippers I guess. But for Spanos, he can never go back to SD. He is viewed as pure garbage in SD.

yeah I was down there for 5 years as well. Spanos is a terrible owner that is for sure. But the city of SD shares the blame as well. Faulkner, mayor, is a complete dipshit that didn't work with the chargers organization at all. both sides couldn't agree on a location, either downtown or re-do qualcomm. Thirdly the people of SD wouldn't pay a dime. The one thing I never understood was the last alternative was having a 7% hotel tax that was put on the people coming into SD and the hotel industry voted against it. I know speaking for myself when I go down there for a kids baseball tournament or what have you I would have zero issues paying for a hotel tax. what choice do you have???? kind of short sighted considering how much revenue the chargers would have brought into the city.
I seriously believe Spanos knew he was leaving maybe even back to as early as 2008-2009. Remember how bad the blame game got down there? Faulkner (who I know and am not a fan of) played games along w the Spanos family/group. So much so that when the Chargers group was to meet with Faulkner, that no one from the Chargers even showed up. It got so bad that Spanos wouldn't even take the Mayor's phone calls anymore. It got ugly and the fans had enough of it. From what I know from people I know on the city council at that time and what the Chargers would say is that it was never going to work. Spanos had his mind set once the city demanded he pays for almost all of it himself (which he could never do). I think the hotel tax would have gone through, but neither side pushed it. It become personal.

Change my mind

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:05 pm

DMRamFan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:51 pm
ocram23 wrote:
DMRamFan wrote:
Here is the issues:

I seriously believe Spanos knew he was leaving maybe even back to as early as 2008-2009. Remember how bad the blame game got down there? Faulkner (who I know and am not a fan of) played games along w the Spanos family/group. So much so that when the Chargers group was to meet with Faulkner, that no one from the Chargers even showed up. It got so bad that Spanos wouldn't even take the Mayor's phone calls anymore. It got ugly and the fans had enough of it. From what I know from people I know on the city council at that time and what the Chargers would say is that it was never going to work. Spanos had his mind set once the city demanded he pays for almost all of it himself (which he could never do). I think the hotel tax would have gone through, but neither side pushed it. It become personal.
that's too bad because in the end the fans are the casualty. they had a great fan base down there

Rams57
Starter

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:55 pm

Why would any Rams fan want the Chargers to move back to San Diego? The more successful SOFI is, the better it is for the Rams. Let's wish the Chargers good luck and beat them, when we play them. Let's wish the 49ers bad luck and beat them. Now, let's get ready for the good ( Rams winning) the bad ( Rams losing ) and the ugly ( Rams kneeing, new unis, goat horn helmets ) of a new season of Rams football. Go Get 'em Rams !!!

toast49
Pro-bowler

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:29 pm

I say put the Rams and Chargers in the same division. If they're playing in the same stadium would like to see them play more than once every 4 years.

ocram23
Pro-bowler

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Rams57 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:55 pm
Why would any Rams fan want the Chargers to move back to San Diego? The more successful SOFI is, the better it is for the Rams. Let's wish the Chargers good luck and beat them, when we play them. Let's wish the 49ers bad luck and beat them. Now, let's get ready for the good ( Rams winning) the bad ( Rams losing ) and the ugly ( Rams kneeing, new unis, goat horn helmets ) of a new season of Rams football. Go Get 'em Rams !!!
IMO the Rams success and the stadiums has nothing to do with the chargers. Look at Dallas's stadium they have college games, high school championships, etc. there are other events that the rams can make money and lots of it without the Chargers.

Rams57
Starter

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:43 pm

The NFL let the Rams and Chargers move to L.A., on the condition they share the same venue, SOFI. So any discussion of Chargers back to S.D. is pointless unless the NFL says otherwise. A healthy Charger fan base, a winning Chargers team helps the Rams. I'm for anything that helps the Rams. Think of something positive, like gradient rubber numbers

RadRacerRams
Veteran

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:58 pm

ocram23 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:26 am
Rams57 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:49 pm
Chargers have what may be the best uniforms in NFL. Rams now near the bottom in uniforms. Both teams have lame logos. Maybe the cool uniforms may help gain more young fans, for the Chargers. I remember how proud I was as a kid, that my team the Rams, had the best helmet and uniform in the league. I won't be wearing any new Rams gear. I wouldn't be happy with the lame bolt logo, wouldn't wear it, if I was a Chargers' guy. Love the old Rams logo, love the first year, 1960 Chargers logo. Rams and Chargers should have gone back to their old good logos. Hard for me to accept that the Chargers, now have a better helmet than the Rams.
chargers powder blue unis are one of the best in the league IMO
Powder Blue :oops: is a RainBow fella's Color ......
Rams Blue is a Real Mans Color...........GO RAMS

Rams57
Starter

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:13 pm

Really? Did you know the color BONE , represents the L.A. smog? Did you know the Rams' new uniform is the first gender neutral uniform in NFL history ?

Rate this topic
  • Information