Should starters play preseason?

Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
Bulldawg
Hall of Famer

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:08 am

Big debate on Sirius NFL this week regarding starters playing (or not) in the preseason games. I have mixed emotions because there is nothing like a game environment to work on concepts, tempo, and teamwork. The old school coaches are playing their starters a good bit. Even Mahommes is getting some preseason action. Many teams will start off a little slow this year...Rams could possibly be one of them. (Not in wins/losses but in being in-sync and looking smooth.) It took Tampa and Brady 1/2 the season before they started playing decent.

It has taken me awhile, but I am starting to like the approach McVay has taken. I don't like the idea of additional risk and a player getting injured in a game that doesn't count. We just need to be prepared that our timing and cohesiveness may not be perfect the first few games. I would love to see the starters out there for 3-4 possessions but it wouldn't be worth it if Stafford, AD, Whitworth, Ramsey, etc. were to get hurt or tweak something. I think the risk is higher than the reward.

What do you think?
Last edited by Bulldawg on Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cornell29
Hall of Famer

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:14 am

From my observation, more teams are moving toward the rams. I was just watching the lions, and they even benched some of their starters last game. There are some teams who have starters that haven't taken a snap in the preseason.

For example Seattle, Green Bay and Titans

Wilson, All-Pro linebacker Bobby Wagner and most of the starters haven’t played a down. Two dozen Seahawks, almost all of them veteran starters, haven’t played

Through two preseason games, the Titans have deployed several starters on defense, but almost all of the team’s offensive starters have sat out.

Green Bay lost 23-14, but sat out 32 of their players–mostly starters–in an effort to maintain good health. This meant a lot of opportunities for younger guys and others who are fighting for their roster life. Remember, after rosters dropped to 85 players last Tuesday, teams must get to 80 by this Tuesday.
Last edited by Cornell29 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

RAMFAN71
Hall of Famer

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:20 am

NO.
"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

RamPower
Hall of Famer

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:24 am

Simply going by McVay's success with the Rams, I can't argue with holding starters out. On offense I think from the beginning it's been about protecting Whitworth as much as anything (and the ripple effect from there).

toast49
Hall of Famer

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:28 am

Pre season is for money only. A way for owners to sell tickets. It serves no other purpose.

DMRamFan
Commissioner

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:49 am

Nope.

We have proven why in the past few years.

This is a time to see what backups will stand out.

Why risk injury with players we KNOW are starters.

Ramsfan08ny
Hall of Famer

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:00 am

No

Idaho_Ram
Hall of Famer

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:10 am

I don't think it's a blanket answer for all 22 starters. But in general, I see VERY little upside in an established vet starter playing in the preseason. Exceptions - rookies & developing players (i.e. Kyler Murray).

But I'm totally fine with McVay sitting the studs.

Rammer
Hall of Famer

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:12 am

No, I think that era has passed. This is the reason that preseason is now a complete waste of time. It's like the pro bowl. An old relic.

Idaho_Ram
Hall of Famer

Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:24 pm

Rammer wrote:
No, I think that era has passed. This is the reason that preseason is now a complete waste of time. It's like the pro bowl. An old relic.
I don't think you can compare it to the Pro Bowl, simply because it matters DEEPLY for the guys who are on the field. They are literally playing for their futures. From that standpoint I find it interesting. But if you're watching as a fan trying to care about wins and losses, yeah, it's a waste of time.

RAMFAN71
Hall of Famer

Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:42 pm

These guys aren't even playing and they're going down left and right.....crazy.
"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

malibu
Hall of Famer

Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:02 am

I think it helps to have the starters play in preseason. This year we have a new QB even with all the experience he has it would be nice to put him out there. Now I agree some starters (vets) Donald, Ramsey etc don't need it but the upside of not playing is no starter gets hurt. Tough call.

Bulldawg
Hall of Famer

Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:31 am

I guess my point is we can't expect the team to be firing on all cylinders during the first few games with no preseason games under their belt. I agree with the decision. We will just need to balance our expectations when we see some dropped passes, bad passes, or missed tackles. Defenses usually start out better than offenses. I still expect to win, just mistakes will happen and we look prefect in all facets. It helps that we had practices against Cowboys and Raiders but those are not as good as full-speed games. Let's not over-react if we see things we don't like the first couple of games.

UplandRam
Site Admin

Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:32 am

Preseason is for the non starters to show what they have in game situations.

Rammer
Hall of Famer

Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:09 pm

Idaho_Ram wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:24 pm
Rammer wrote:
I don't think you can compare it to the Pro Bowl, simply because it matters DEEPLY for the guys who are on the field. They are literally playing for their futures. From that standpoint I find it interesting. But if you're watching as a fan trying to care about wins and losses, yeah, it's a waste of time.

I feel like from the teams point of view, the joint practices and scrimmages are sufficient. You just don't need all this wasted time with preseason games.

For the rest of us, the preseason has never been about winning/losing but you used to be able to get a look at your team, get a 'feel' about your team. Maybe see how the qb looks, how the new players are fitting in, see how the new DC looks, maybe see the offense put together some nice drives. I would love to get a glimpse of Stafford with his new offense, for example. But that doesn't happen anymore. Not even a little bit. Now, the only thing that makes them the Rams on the field, is the uniforms that they are temporarily wearing. ..... I know it matters to the guys out there and some like to focus on individual performances and from that point of view - maybe that's a little interesting. But when everything looks like a mess around you, I find it tough to evaluate anyone. You see someone that looks good and the next day, they are cut. I feel like it doesn't matter what i see out there in the preseason game. Almost, totally irrelevant.

NorCal RF
Hall of Famer

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:00 pm

Sean McVay says no!

• Information