Morris

Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
Safety Blitz
Hall of Famer

Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:18 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Our pass defense will be first rate again and will generate more turnovers.

Lotta good tackling from the secondary.
."..Fear not, little flock...*

Rams since '66
Hall of Famer

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:16 pm

I'd give the D a week to get the rust off. The D played ahead all game which helped. We need to see what happens when they get lit up early. Staley always seemed to make great halftime adjustments. Can Morris do the same?

armyram
Hall of Famer

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:46 pm

Bunch of BS! After one game, already criticizing the DC, where the starters didn’t suit up in the preseason, we allowed 14 pts, the defense played with tenacity… I don’t care how many rushing yards we let up, it’s the points on the board that count. Some of y’all want a PERFECT team and yes, in our strong division, we are going to need something near that but at this time, we have NOTHING to complain about. 14 freaking points, we scored 34, what don’t you like?

UplandRam
Site Admin

Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:44 pm

Our defensive philosophy seems to be keep everything in front of you and make the offense go on long drives hoping somewhere along the way mistakes are made. Drives me a bit nuts at times, but it does seem to work.

Raminec
Hall of Famer

Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:10 pm

UplandRam wrote:
Our defensive philosophy seems to be keep everything in front of you and make the offense go on long drives hoping somewhere along the way mistakes are made. Drives me a bit nuts at times, but it does seem to work.
They do seem to be playing soft especially between the 20s and stiffening up in the red zone. Staley’s defense last year was similar with a lot of two high safeties. Chicago has a lot of speed at WR and the Rams have some new players on the backend so it might have been by design. I think the biggest issue last night was missed tackles. That could be from not playing in the preseason but it’s an area where they were great at last year. Chicago paired their offense down to shorter throws and Dalton was getting rid of the ball quickly to counter the Rams pass rush.

sanbagger
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:27 am

armyram wrote:
Bunch of BS! After one game, already criticizing the DC, where the starters didn’t suit up in the preseason, we allowed 14 pts, the defense played with tenacity… I don’t care how many rushing yards we let up, it’s the points on the board that count. Some of y’all want a PERFECT team and yes, in our strong division, we are going to need something near that but at this time, we have NOTHING to complain about. 14 freaking points, we scored 34, what don’t you like?
The whole "starters didn't play in pre-season' thing is kind of an excuse if you ask me....I mean, that was a coaxh decision and also should be open to scrutiny....if the team isn't ready to play, that's the coach's fault IMO.

I also thought the defense looked bad....I know they only gave up 14 points, but the point is Da Bears moved the ball with relative ease. I don't see the Bears as a .500 team this year, so they would be bottom third of the league and maybe worse.

I think a good running team that doesn't mind short passes (Niners) will exploit the D for points.

The OP is correct IMO, if that D doesn't play tighter we are gonna have some tough weeks

I do like the role Ramsey is playing and that could evolve and start to take away some of this short stuff and maybe help with the run some.

Yorkshire Ram
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:47 am

Aside from my concerns when Morris was hired, the real alarm bells started to ring when he started referring to 'bend and don't break' and the emphasis on splash plays to create turnovers.

Staley excelled at game planning for opponents and HT adjustments. McVay even said that he wanted the defense game planned for specific opponents.

I'll be disappointed if we return to a Wade Phillips style defense after the strides Staley made.

We can dress it up as much as we like with stats, but anyone who watched that Rams defense on Sun night knows there's a lot of work to do to compete with the better teams. I'm interested to see how the D develops.

Cornell29
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:43 am

Yorkshire Ram wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:47 am
Aside from my concerns when Morris was hired, the real alarm bells started to ring when he started referring to 'bend and don't break' and the emphasis on splash plays to create turnovers.

Staley excelled at game planning for opponents and HT adjustments. McVay even said that he wanted the defense game planned for specific opponents.

I'll be disappointed if we return to a Wade Phillips style defense after the strides Staley made.

We can dress it up as much as we like with stats, but anyone who watched that Rams defense on Sun night knows there's a lot of work to do to compete with the better teams. I'm interested to see how the D develops.
Mcvay hired Morris, so Mcvay got the type of DC that adjusts depending on his opponent, just like he wanted.

The way they used Ramsey (putting him around the los) showed that Morris gameplan for a team that will try to get the ball out fast, dink and dunk and not challenge the rams on the outside and deep. Which is what the Bears did. Wade would have had JR play on the outside covering a wr that was never going to get thrown too.

Rams tackling was poor, which is more likely bc they didnt do live tackling in a game environment since the Packers playoff game. There tackling will improve as they get in more live tackling.
Last edited by Cornell29 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cornell29
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:48 am

sanbagger wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:27 am
armyram wrote:
The whole "starters didn't play in pre-season' thing is kind of an excuse if you ask me....I mean, that was a coaxh decision and also should be open to scrutiny....if the team isn't ready to play, that's the coach's fault IMO.

I also thought the defense looked bad....I know they only gave up 14 points, but the point is Da Bears moved the ball with relative ease. I don't see the Bears as a .500 team this year, so they would be bottom third of the league and maybe worse.

I think a good running team that doesn't mind short passes (Niners) will exploit the D for points.

The OP is correct IMO, if that D doesn't play tighter we are gonna have some tough weeks

I do like the role Ramsey is playing and that could evolve and start to take away some of this short stuff and maybe help with the run some.
Tony Dungy said the same thing. Many of the players didn't play in the preseason which is why there's been alot of poor tackling and missed coverages week one. Its a product of trying to keep your team healthy for the start of a 17 week season.
Of course teams that did it opens themselves up for scrutiny but guys like Mcvay opening day record and September record is tops in the league. So I doubt Mcvay ever change his philosophy when he has had so much success in September and on opening day. Especially with a 17 game season and hopes to going to the SB.
Mcvay is willing to deal with missed tackles early in the season for health

Cornell29
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:51 am

UplandRam wrote:
Agreed and it is the same style that Staley used. I'm not a fan of the light boxes but it worked for Staley. The biggest problem I seen against the bears was the missed tackles. If the rams didn't miss so many tackles they would have got the bears off the field. Missed tackles, imo was a product of not playing starters in the preseason. How can you argue with Mcvay opening day and September results?

Rammo
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:53 am

Run defense stunk-Shoot we'll fix that.......

RAMFAN71
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:15 am

I don't see how you can NOT criticize the D. I think this bend don't break works when you put up 34- but lets see what happens when they are down 2 scores, and need to get the offense on the field. You think allowing clock eating drives will be a good strategy? Maybe it was game specific- and I'm ok with that. We won. It's too early to destroy Morris- just a little concerned. We will see how he adjusts to an adverse game.
"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

Cornell29
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:52 am

RAMFAN71 wrote:
I don't see how you can NOT criticize the D. I think this bend don't break works when you put up 34- but lets see what happens when they are down 2 scores, and need to get the offense on the field. You think allowing clock eating drives will be a good strategy? Maybe it was game specific- and I'm ok with that. We won. It's too early to destroy Morris- just a little concerned. We will see how he adjusts to an adverse game.
I'm not a fan of the bend but the rams been running the philosophy for years. The strategy works when your defensive players tackle well. The rams tackling was horrible against the bears. Imo the bears issue wasn't a scheme issue it was a tackling issue. 82 out of the 108 yards came bc the rams defender failed to tackle DM when they had a chance.

RAMFAN71
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:11 am

Yes- credit to Montgomery. He ran hard and looks real good. .
"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

brasilrams
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:31 am

RAMFAN71 wrote:
my thoughts exactly

brasilrams
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:34 am

Cornell29 wrote:
RAMFAN71 wrote:
I'm not a fan of the bend but the rams been running the philosophy for years. The strategy works when your defensive players tackle well. The rams tackling was horrible against the bears. Imo the bears issue wasn't a scheme issue it was a tackling issue. 82 out of the 108 yards came bc the rams defender failed to tackle DM when they had a chance.

Montgomery is a monster , but yup , the tackling was pretty bad , and that could be just rust . Maybe the scheme works better if they tackle well . I agree and makes sense.

Cornell29
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:08 am

I haven’t gathered any stats but I do wonder if Ramsey isn't just the best cover guy on the team, he might be the best tackler too. I can't remember him missing many tackles.

RamPower
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:40 am

brasilrams wrote:
Cornell29 wrote:
RAMFAN71 wrote:

Montgomery is a monster , but yup , the tackling was pretty bad , and that could be just rust . Maybe the scheme works better if they tackle well . I agree and makes sense.
Yep.

It was a win foremost, pretty safe via the score as well.

Yes, the Bears looked like they were getting some offensive confidence. Yes our INT in the end zone helped our effort. But it was still a 20 point win.

No pass rush? Basically true, but look how fast Dalton was getting the ball out. Wasn't a dink and dunk offense one of our biggest Ram's offensive criticism last year? Bet the Bears wish they had employed more bend don't break - they broke a lot.

And yes again, perhaps the biggest area of concern (I'll guess temporary concern) was more player related than defensive scheme. That is, the failure to tackle after contact. Montgomery wasn't like anything they'd seen in practice (no preseason reps for starters).

I'm not too worried.

brasilrams
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:23 am

RamPower wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:40 am
brasilrams wrote:
Cornell29 wrote:

Yep.

It was a win foremost, pretty safe via the score as well.

Yes, the Bears looked like they were getting some offensive confidence. Yes our INT in the end zone helped our effort. But it was still a 20 point win.

No pass rush? Basically true, but look how fast Dalton was getting the ball out. Wasn't a dink and dunk offense one of our biggest Ram's offensive criticism last year? Bet the Bears wish they had employed more bend don't break - they broke a lot.

And yes again, perhaps the biggest area of concern (I'll guess temporary concern) was more player related than defensive scheme. That is, the failure to tackle after contact. Montgomery wasn't like anything they'd seen in practice (no preseason reps for starters).

I'm not too worried.
On point as always bro .

Idaho_Ram
Hall of Famer

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:49 am

I was thinking as I read through this thread, it's funny how Staley leaves and has now turned into this mythical DC who would have held the Bears to 100 total yards. As someone has also pointed out, we allowed 71 points in the first three weeks last year. Also, as I recall, it was our run defense that got OWNED by the Packers in the playoffs when it mattered most (obviously with a nicked up AD99.)

Let's hope Raheem slowly improves along with the run D and tackling. But MUCH to be excited about with the '21 Rams.

• Information