STALEY vs. MORRIS

Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
RicoRamFan
Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:48 pm

I know it's only been 4 games, and I know Brandon Staley was only DC for a year (But what a year it was).

But I already see this team playing differently on defense and not in a good way.

WAY too much zone. The strength of last season's epic D (until they ran into Aaron Rodgers) was a team concept with individuals stepping up and making big plays.

Jalen Ramsey is being underutilized.
Did Darius Williams play yesterday? I didn't hear his name called once.
I know David Long Jr was on the field- he got burned so often.

The loss of Staley may be the thing that keeps this team from hosting the SB.

I wanna give Raheem Morris an opportunity to prove he didn't just get hired because of his prior relationship with McVay. But he has little experience as a play caller and it certainly showed in the first half Sunday. They made better adjustments in the 2nd half but the damage was done.

I think more than Stafford or anyone on the D it is Morris who has a LOT to prove this Thursday.

RUN TO WIN

chris
Veteran

Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:02 pm

Finally somebody that knows Morris needs to go Thank you for that post. Smart man!!!

ocram23
Hall of Famer

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:39 pm

Rams are 3-1 Morris isn't going anywhere. he needs to make adjustments that is for sure. also how about the players need to show up and do their F'N job.

HellRam
Hall of Famer

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:50 pm

Morris was never going to be Staley. That said he could be better and so could the players.

That TD to Max Williams for example had nothing to do with Morrris and everything to do with Rapp being a atrocious player. All Rapp had to do was react but per usual he was his flat footed self in coverage.

Long has been up and down.

Young has been a bright spot up until the Cards game.

Donald hasn't been all world like he usually is.

Hollins injury hurts.

There's a lot going on here but losing Johnson, Hill, Fox and even Ebukam who was excellent at contain has all made a difference. Especially Johnson who really was a borderline elite player and excellent in coverage.

On paper we are not a elite defense but if we finish outisde the top 10 Morris needs to be gone next season. We have the pieces for a top 10 unit at worse case.

Rampager66
Hall of Famer

Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:02 am

HellRam wrote:
Morris was never going to be Staley. That said he could be better and so could the players.

That TD to Max Williams for example had nothing to do with Morrris and everything to do with Rapp being a atrocious player. All Rapp had to do was react but per usual he was his flat footed self in coverage.

Hollins injury hurts.

There's a lot going on here but losing Johnson, Hill, Fox and even Ebukam who was excellent at contain has all made a difference. Especially Johnson who really was a borderline elite player and excellent in coverage.

On paper we are not a elite defense but if we finish outisde the top 10 Morris needs to be gone next season. We have the pieces for a top 10 unit at worse case.
Don't forget big Brockers. Cards probably don't run for 216 yards if he's in there... and I wonder how much Aaron misses him

Jack85Youngblood
Hall of Famer

Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:16 am

Seems like a rewind to 2018. Great offense (but no MVP back like Gurley, but better QB); and a swiss cheese defense. Phillips got them playing better at the end of the year though; especially at New Orleans NFC Championship, and the Super Bowl.

RAMFAN71
Hall of Famer

Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:28 am

Lets get real. Where is A.Robinson? SJD has done ok, but need more from AR. Where is the middle of the field? Seems wide open on every play. Morris needs to put the right people in there and run the proper schemes. Its WIDE open in the box, outside, etc. It's one thing if guys are in position and not making plays/missed tackles. But they seem to just not be around the ball until there's a 6-7 or more gain on the play. Sure, get some other guys in there. Maybe Long cannot cover- or maybe its a team communication thing. Better get this right, or it's another wasted year with AD and JR. Where's Fuller? This is unacceptable.
"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

Rammer
Hall of Famer

Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:56 am

Rampager66 wrote:
HellRam wrote:

Hollins injury hurts.

Don't forget big Brockers. Cards probably don't run for 216 yards if he's in there... and I wonder how much Aaron misses him
Yeah but I think this is mostly coaching.

Ramsfan08ny
Hall of Famer

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:05 am

Rammer wrote:
Rampager66 wrote:
HellRam wrote:

Hollins injury hurts.

The D definitely needs to tighten up, but the offense was also very bad Sunday. Who gets fired over that one?

Rampager66
Hall of Famer

Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:18 am

Rammer wrote:
Rampager66 wrote:
HellRam wrote:

Hollins injury hurts.

Agreed.

Yorkshire Ram
Hall of Famer

Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:23 am

Staley was getting heat by week 4 last year, the numbers are fairly comparable in actual fact. There was a lot of talk of him not being experienced enough to be a DC.

Hated the Morris hire, but prepared to allow him time to put it right. This defensive lapse is national news so they better sort it quickly.

Rammer
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:34 am

Yorkshire Ram wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:23 am
Staley was getting heat by week 4 last year, the numbers are fairly comparable in actual fact. There was a lot of talk of him not being experienced enough to be a DC.

Hated the Morris hire, but prepared to allow him time to put it right. This defensive lapse is national news so they better sort it quickly.
I agree that there is nothing to be done now. He has time to set things right......I hope the guy knows what he is doing. Because it's one thing to draft players that have a learning curve but we don't have time for a coach to learn on the job.

FelixTheStonerCat
Pro-bowler

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:33 pm

I have no idea why he changed what we were doing. He could have easily improved on what was working. Raheem Morris is not that good of a coach from what I seen at tampa bay and Atlanta.

EastBayRamsFan
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:19 pm

RAMFAN71 wrote:
Lets get real. Where is A.Robinson? SJD has done ok, but need more from AR. Where is the middle of the field? Seems wide open on every play. Morris needs to put the right people in there and run the proper schemes. Its WIDE open in the box, outside, etc. It's one thing if guys are in position and not making plays/missed tackles. But they seem to just not be around the ball until there's a 6-7 or more gain on the play. Sure, get some other guys in there. Maybe Long cannot cover- or maybe its a team communication thing. Better get this right, or it's another wasted year with AD and JR. Where's Fuller? This is unacceptable.

Damn RamFan71 I really agree with a lot of your posts. Was wondering when somebody was going to call out A’Shawn Robinson who has been totally absent this season.

I will say our 4th and short, 3rd and short defense has been stought.

DMRamFan
Commissioner

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:06 pm

EastBayRamsFan wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:19 pm
RAMFAN71 wrote:

Damn RamFan71 I really agree with a lot of your posts. Was wondering when somebody was going to call out A’Shawn Robinson who has been totally absent this season.

I will say our 4th and short, 3rd and short defense has been stought.
I forgot A’Shawn even played for us anymore. I have yet to really hear his name.

armyram
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:08 pm

FelixTheStonerCat wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:33 pm
I have no idea why he changed what we were doing. He could have easily improved on what was working. Raheem Morris is not that good of a coach from what I seen at tampa bay and Atlanta.
I guess that depends on what stats you want to believe... as DC, Morris helped the pass defense achieve the league's top ranking in 2007. In his second season, the team finished 10–6, barely missing the playoffs. That seven game turnaround was the best in franchise history. In 2010, Morris became the first coach since the 1970 NFL/AFL merger to start at least 10 rookies and finish with a winning record.... now yes, that's straight from wikipedia because I dont have the photogenic mind some of you do, but the guy can coach under the right circumstances, when he's not immediately thrown into the fire to bail out a losing season. As the Rams DC, he has had time to prepare, now give him time to execute his plan.

• Information