Facebook Attack

Humor, Politics, News and Other Topics NOT Related to Football.
Post Reply
User avatar
UplandRam
Site Admin
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:19 am
Location: Glendora, CA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times
Contact:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:49 pm

Today's internet attack on Facebook was not like other attacks. This was a game changer. A DNS (not to be confused with a DDOS) attack.
I am very close to someone who lives in Europe and is a CIO level Global Network Manager for one of, if not the biggest network provider in the world. They are in full panic mode. There is an inherent security issue with the entire web that cannot be corrected, it is due to the very make up of the web. The physical infrastructure. Today, this infrastructure was compromised. I won't get in to the technical aspects, that would take a few pages. However, the day that we all feared is upon us. The entire internet, banking structure can now be attacked. This was a dry run to see if it could be done. It has nothing to do with Facebook. So, imagine if you could not make any purchases with you ATM/Debit card. No food, no gas, nothing... zip! And, potentially lasting for several weeks or months.
It is coming....

User avatar
RGtheFirst
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1503
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:19 am
Location: Ohio
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 37 times
Contact:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:27 pm

UplandRam wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:49 pm
Today's internet attack on Facebook was not like other attacks. This was a game changer. A DNS (not to be confused with a DDOS) attack.
I am very close to someone who lives in Europe and is a CIO level Global Network Manager for one of, if not the biggest network provider in the world. They are in full panic mode. There is an inherent security issue with the entire web that cannot be corrected, it is due to the very make up of the web. The physical infrastructure. Today, this infrastructure was compromised. I won't get in to the technical aspects, that would take a few pages. However, the day that we all feared is upon us. The entire internet, banking structure can now be attacked. This was a dry run to see if it could be done. It has nothing to do with Facebook. So, imagine if you could not make any purchases with you ATM/Debit card. No food, no gas, nothing... zip! And, potentially lasting for several weeks or months.
It is coming....
Scary times… very….

Seriously, when the Chinese virus was unleashed, I was pretty scared, that too could and probably will be, just a pre-cursor to what’s coming. However I started living my life, within a few months, I have grown far more fearful of my gov. and the CCP…

User avatar
DMRamFan
Commissioner
Posts: 8822
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Has thanked: 495 times
Been thanked: 374 times
Contact:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:29 pm

Ok.

Now that I’m ordering more guns, putting up a 25 foot electric wall around my house, along w a large moat, ordering 3 Doberman and stashing cash in 4 foot holes in my lawn…

Any other advice?

But seriously, I am friends with people that work at Facebook, Google and Yahoo… (I’m on a group text), but this is for real. The way they got in today is nuts. And there isn’t much any of them could do.

You imagine if we couldn’t get our cash or pay our bills all because the banking system is shut down? Holy moly, you want to see people go nuts, do insane things they normally never would?… take away their money.

Scary times, Upland. Thank goodness we have a God that could careless about any of it and is ready to take on our burdens anytime… all we need to do is ask.

Greatest thing about being saved… is that you never have to worry. Of course being a dad to 3 young ones, it’s very easy to worry… but I know when things get rough, all I have to do is ask him for help. He’s NEVER let me down.

Rams since '66
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:07 pm
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 139 times
Contact:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:18 pm

I only know enough about network architecture to understand the basic Cloudfire explanation (essentially nothing). I can't begin to grasp how this particular attack propagates across an entire sector.
Question for Upland or someone with expertise; at a high level, would moving critical economic infrastructure to more distributed systems with restrictive access protocols be mitigating? Or is the issue beyond that? I

User avatar
UplandRam
Site Admin
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:19 am
Location: Glendora, CA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times
Contact:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:51 pm

Rams since '66 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:18 pm
I only know enough about network architecture to understand the basic Cloudfire explanation (essentially nothing). I can't begin to grasp how this particular attack propagates across an entire sector.
Question for Upland or someone with expertise; at a high level, would moving critical economic infrastructure to more distributed systems with restrictive access protocols be mitigating? Or is the issue beyond that? I
If the culprits can access DNS entries as they did in the case, it would not matter where they were hosted. DNS links the IP information to the domain name. It of course does get complicated. But, this was a game changer.

It affects far, far more than just "websites".

https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/faceb ... mid-outage

ocram23
Hall of Famer
Posts: 10482
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 109 times
Contact:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:19 pm

yeah I followed this all day. absolutely crazy the lack of play this is getting in the U.S.

Rams since '66
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:07 pm
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 139 times
Contact:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:32 pm

UplandRam wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:51 pm
Rams since '66 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:18 pm
I only know enough about network architecture to understand the basic Cloudfire explanation (essentially nothing). I can't begin to grasp how this particular attack propagates across an entire sector.
Question for Upland or someone with expertise; at a high level, would moving critical economic infrastructure to more distributed systems with restrictive access protocols be mitigating? Or is the issue beyond that? I
If the culprits can access DNS entries as they did in the case, it would not matter where they were hosted. DNS links the IP information to the domain name. It of course does get complicated. But, this was a game changer.

It affects far, far more than just "websites".

https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/faceb ... mid-outage
I can see that if they are able to wipe or block IP addresses externally. I thought this was done internal to FB. I guess a wide enough attack might also generate enough additional traffic to bring down servers as well.

User avatar
UplandRam
Site Admin
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:19 am
Location: Glendora, CA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times
Contact:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:47 pm

This had to be done by directly accessing DNS records. They modified the DNS information to misdirect or eliminate routing to their servers. This HAD to be done by someone with the ability to directly access DNS records. A large scale DDOS attack would be simply overwhelming their servers with packet requests. This is completely different.
As for Facebook, I absolutely do not care if they are brought down. Their income is almost exclusively advertising income. In the BILLIONS. The problem is, the are about as dishonest as anyone can be. You can't really verify if your ads are actually being served as they claim. No way in hell. And, given what we know how they have manipulated data on ALL levels, you can bet damn sure they are fraudulent as hell. Basically, one enormous criminal enterprise with NO OVERSIGHT whatsoever.

Rams since '66
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:07 pm
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 139 times
Contact:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:27 pm

UplandRam wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:47 pm
This had to be done by directly accessing DNS records. They modified the DNS information to misdirect or eliminate routing to their servers. This HAD to be done by someone with the ability to directly access DNS records. A large scale DDOS attack would be simply overwhelming their servers with packet requests. This is completely different.
As for Facebook, I absolutely do not care if they are brought down. Their income is almost exclusively advertising income. In the BILLIONS. The problem is, the are about as dishonest as anyone can be. You can't really verify if your ads are actually being served as they claim. No way in hell. And, given what we know how they have manipulated data on ALL levels, you can bet damn sure they are fraudulent as hell. Basically, one enormous criminal enterprise with NO OVERSIGHT whatsoever.
Nope. As far a FB is concerned, I cancelled my account when I retired and never looked back. They can go belly up for all I care.

User avatar
Rampager66
Hall of Famer
Posts: 10596
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:46 pm
Has thanked: 300 times
Been thanked: 107 times
Contact:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:14 am

"when the walls, come tumbling crumbling.... down"

User avatar
clevelandrams
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3488
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:19 pm
Location: Oregon/California
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 36 times
Contact:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:16 am

DMRamFan wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:29 pm
Ok.

Now that I’m ordering more guns, putting up a 25 foot electric wall around my house, along w a large moat, ordering 3 Doberman and stashing cash in 4 foot holes in my lawn…

Any other advice?

But seriously, I am friends with people that work at Facebook, Google and Yahoo… (I’m on a group text), but this is for real. The way they got in today is nuts. And there isn’t much any of them could do.

You imagine if we couldn’t get our cash or pay our bills all because the banking system is shut down? Holy moly, you want to see people go nuts, do insane things they normally never would?… take away their money.

Scary times, Upland. Thank goodness we have a God that could careless about any of it and is ready to take on our burdens anytime… all we need to do is ask.

Greatest thing about being saved… is that you never have to worry. Of course being a dad to 3 young ones, it’s very easy to worry… but I know when things get rough, all I have to do is ask him for help. He’s NEVER let me down.
Some god.....ww1, 2, etc etc.. pretty useless god.
There is no God. The bible was written by people looking to make the weak think they had some kind of help in life.
There's no such thing as good and evil. It's simply those in power and those who comply.
The ones who get on their knees are the losers in evolution.

Besides, how stupid can christians be? The very second they announced 2 weeks etc.. .they should have realized the book of revelation was the reference.
A chip to put on your hand has already been developed

User avatar
RGtheFirst
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1503
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:19 am
Location: Ohio
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 37 times
Contact:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:32 am

clevelandrams wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:16 am
DMRamFan wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:29 pm
Ok.

Now that I’m ordering more guns, putting up a 25 foot electric wall around my house, along w a large moat, ordering 3 Doberman and stashing cash in 4 foot holes in my lawn…

Any other advice?

But seriously, I am friends with people that work at Facebook, Google and Yahoo… (I’m on a group text), but this is for real. The way they got in today is nuts. And there isn’t much any of them could do.

You imagine if we couldn’t get our cash or pay our bills all because the banking system is shut down? Holy moly, you want to see people go nuts, do insane things they normally never would?… take away their money.

Scary times, Upland. Thank goodness we have a God that could careless about any of it and is ready to take on our burdens anytime… all we need to do is ask.

Greatest thing about being saved… is that you never have to worry. Of course being a dad to 3 young ones, it’s very easy to worry… but I know when things get rough, all I have to do is ask him for help. He’s NEVER let me down.
A chip to put on your hand has already been developed
And that is in the Bible…

I just saw where FB and twit could be gone forever… 😔
It could be someone doing us a favor…

User avatar
RicoRamFan
Veteran
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:55 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Contact:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:06 am

Gold, guns, and an escape plan...

RUN TO WIN

Rammer
Hall of Famer
Posts: 4184
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 44 times
Contact:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:08 am

Was this an attack? or just a crash? Honestly, I haven't been paying attention. Because today it is being reported like it was an internal issue with a dns server or something like that.

Rams since '66
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:07 pm
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 139 times
Contact:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:35 am

So this morning I contacted the CIO of the company I used to work for to get his opinion. The company is very cyber/logical security heavy and I assume he is well connected into these events. He said from what he is hearing so far it appears to be "an old fashioned internal screw up at FB". He at least does not seem overly concerned.
So I guess the answer for me is continue to do a little doomsday prepping but don't stop living my life normally and don't unnecessarily sweat what I can't change.

User avatar
UplandRam
Site Admin
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:19 am
Location: Glendora, CA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times
Contact:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:59 am

From Facebook
“ The company said in a blog post that its engineering teams found that "configuration changes on the backbone routers that coordinate network traffic between our data centers caused issues that interrupted this communication. This disruption to network traffic had a cascading effect on the way our data centers communicate, bringing our services to a halt."

My opinion is this statement above is true. But, also double-speak. The configuration change was DNS/BGP records. These records are the routing maps for their servers. I serious doubt this was a “screw-up”. More likely an internal attack. Facebook could not possibly tell us if it was. Can you imagine how their stock would plummet if the came out and said “someone entered our facilities and changed our routing records.”
I personally know someone who manages these global networks and is at the highest level possible. We spoke a few months ago on the very topic. He said to bring down the web as was done with FB, you would need physical access to the servers. He further said “It WILL happen on a massive scale, not if but when”.

Rams since '66
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:07 pm
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 139 times
Contact:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:19 am

Still I feel better knowing it was internal to FB even if it was a malicious attack. That leaves us closer to known territory. Most companies no matter the precautions taken, are at the mercy of third party hardware and software vendors as well as contractor IT to some level. In the case of a global company like FB, they could have internal development and support teams in foreign countries where the western world isn't well liked. Places like Pakistan or Portland.

User avatar
clevelandrams
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3488
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:19 pm
Location: Oregon/California
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 36 times
Contact:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:43 am

Rams since '66 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:19 am
Still I feel better knowing it was internal to FB even if it was a malicious attack. That leaves us closer to known territory. Most companies no matter the precautions taken, are at the mercy of third party hardware and software vendors as well as contractor IT to some level. In the case of a global company like FB, they could have internal development and support teams in foreign countries where the western world isn't well liked. Places like Pakistan or Portland.
It happened to multiple social sites.
Multiple.

Rams since '66
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:07 pm
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 139 times
Contact:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:38 am

clevelandrams wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:43 am
Rams since '66 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:19 am
Still I feel better knowing it was internal to FB even if it was a malicious attack. That leaves us closer to known territory. Most companies no matter the precautions taken, are at the mercy of third party hardware and software vendors as well as contractor IT to some level. In the case of a global company like FB, they could have internal development and support teams in foreign countries where the western world isn't well liked. Places like Pakistan or Portland.
It happened to multiple social sites.
Multiple.
The three I heard were all FB sites. Other sites experienced slowdowns due to high traffic levels generated by the event. Were there other attacks as well?

User avatar
DMRamFan
Commissioner
Posts: 8822
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Has thanked: 495 times
Been thanked: 374 times
Contact:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:48 pm

Upland,

I just heard from a friend who is involved in ad revenue for these larger tech companies. He said that FB lost an estimated $220,000-$240,000 a MINUTE in ad revenue when it was shut down.


Does that sound right to you?

Goodness gracious.

Rams since '66
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:07 pm
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 139 times
Contact:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:03 pm

DMRamFan wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:48 pm
Upland,

I just heard from a friend who is involved in ad revenue for these larger tech companies. He said that FB lost an estimated $220,000-$240,000 a MINUTE in ad revenue when it was shut down.


Does that sound right to you?

Goodness gracious.
320 mil in revenue per day. Seems ballpark to me. Should they be broken up though. Yeah, too much influence on government.

User avatar
UplandRam
Site Admin
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:19 am
Location: Glendora, CA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times
Contact:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:04 pm

Yes... That is on the low side. Facebook and Google run ads that are designed to compete with other businesses that have the same niche, service or product types. This drives up the cost dramatically since those paying for the ads are constantly in bidding wars with each other. You can easily see how this would get extremely costly for advertisers. I have ran ads on both platforms. I carefully checked what they claimed they were sending in terms of traffic and referrals, then crossed check it with my server analytics. Never ONCE was it even close. In other words, they billed me for "clicks" that were never referred. Furthermore, they can have bots that click on their OWN ads driving up costs to the advertiser. It is a unbelievable avenue for fraud. It gets complicated (by design) and almost impossible to measure any kind of ROI. Worse part, there is absolutely no oversight. To me, they are one humongous criminal enterprise.

User avatar
DMRamFan
Commissioner
Posts: 8822
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Has thanked: 495 times
Been thanked: 374 times
Contact:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:02 pm

UplandRam wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:04 pm
Yes... That is on the low side. Facebook and Google run ads that are designed to compete with other businesses that have the same niche, service or product types. This drives up the cost dramatically since those paying for the ads are constantly in bidding wars with each other. You can easily see how this would get extremely costly for advertisers. I have ran ads on both platforms. I carefully checked what they claimed they were sending in terms of traffic and referrals, then crossed check it with my server analytics. Never ONCE was it even close. In other words, they billed me for "clicks" that were never referred. Furthermore, they can have bots that click on their OWN ads driving up costs to the advertiser. It is a unbelievable avenue for fraud. It gets complicated (by design) and almost impossible to measure any kind of ROI. Worse part, there is absolutely no oversight. To me, they are one humongous criminal enterprise.
I get it. I used to work in advertising back in early 2000’s. I used to sell online advertising as it was one part of the space I worked in. We sold the PPC’s a ton. I knew about the BOTS and other scandalous stuff. I’ll never forget, I was w a larger client in San Diego. Large law firm. He asked to see his clicks. I pulled them out. He then pulled out his own stats as he hired a side company to monitor what was real clicks and what wasn’t. Our list was triple what he had. I was peeved. So I went back and talked w our analytics team and internet division. They finally told us that many clicks could be fake (I was with a Fortune 500 company).

Anyways, I had enough. I literally retired after 10 years there that month. It was 2008 when the economy was in the dump. I didn’t care. I couldn’t sell a product I couldn’t believe in.

All those companies are scams. I won’t spend one dollar w them. I have a sizable budget to spend on advertising, yet I won’t even hear what FB, Google and those companies have to say. I’m sure I could profit from spending on those platforms, but honestly… I don’t have the time to track if they are BS’ing us.

User avatar
UplandRam
Site Admin
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:19 am
Location: Glendora, CA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times
Contact:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:18 pm

DMRamFan wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:02 pm
UplandRam wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:04 pm
Yes... That is on the low side. Facebook and Google run ads that are designed to compete with other businesses that have the same niche, service or product types. This drives up the cost dramatically since those paying for the ads are constantly in bidding wars with each other. You can easily see how this would get extremely costly for advertisers. I have ran ads on both platforms. I carefully checked what they claimed they were sending in terms of traffic and referrals, then crossed check it with my server analytics. Never ONCE was it even close. In other words, they billed me for "clicks" that were never referred. Furthermore, they can have bots that click on their OWN ads driving up costs to the advertiser. It is a unbelievable avenue for fraud. It gets complicated (by design) and almost impossible to measure any kind of ROI. Worse part, there is absolutely no oversight. To me, they are one humongous criminal enterprise.
I get it. I used to work in advertising back in early 2000’s. I used to sell online advertising as it was one part of the space I worked in. We sold the PPC’s a ton. I knew about the BOTS and other scandalous stuff. I’ll never forget, I was w a larger client in San Diego. Large law firm. He asked to see his clicks. I pulled them out. He then pulled out his own stats as he hired a side company to monitor what was real clicks and what wasn’t. Our list was triple what he had. I was peeved. So I went back and talked w our analytics team and internet division. They finally told us that many clicks could be fake (I was with a Fortune 500 company).

Anyways, I had enough. I literally retired after 10 years there that month. It was 2008 when the economy was in the dump. I didn’t care. I couldn’t sell a product I couldn’t believe in.

All those companies are scams. I won’t spend one dollar w them. I have a sizable budget to spend on advertising, yet I won’t even hear what FB, Google and those companies have to say. I’m sure I could profit from spending on those platforms, but honestly… I don’t have the time to track if they are BS’ing us.
Yep… for me, I have to be involved with a business I can be proud of. Don’t care if people think I am “moralizing”. I have to live with myself. I would never be proud of ripping people off I think I “got over on them”. I would be ashamed. These people have no moral center, much like the rest of our society.

User avatar
UK Rams Fan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1103
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:51 am
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 31 times
Contact:

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:50 am

Facebook, the cancer of the internet. We need a cure for it.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests