Raheem Morris gives brutally honest evaluation of David Long Jr.'s play vs. Cardinals

Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
UplandRam
Site Admin

Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:52 am

If he is “struggling” so much why the hell is he out there?
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/1 ... valuation/

DMRamFan
Commissioner

Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:10 am

I just dont get it.

Kenny Young, Rapp and Long...

Lets all keep an eye on these 3 Thursday ngt. Like really watch them if possible. Maybe some others will see what I have been seeing, in that they look like they dont know what they are doing sometimes. Kenny has has his good moments, but too many missed tackles. Rapp and Long, I have NOT seen a damn good thing.

Lets hope they stand up and make some plays tomorrow ngt.

BrooklynRam74
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:12 am

Sign Gilmore. Find the money via restructure...
Proud Supporter Of Los Angeles/St. Louis/Los Angeles Ram Football Since 1974 From Beautiful Brooklyn N.Y.

a.k.a. Mike Schad 1st Rd.

ocram23
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:45 am

who on this forum thought Long was going to be the answer??? I sure as hell didn't. losing Hill and JJ was a big deal to this Defense. now Gilmore has been traded to Carolina which will that solid defense even better.

To answer your question Upland we don't have anyone else

Rampager66
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:51 am

Maybe if the guy was placed in a better scheme... given a better chance to succeed... no doubt some of it is on the player... but
Maybe Mr. Morris needs to take a look in the mirror to see who's also struggling
I'd like to see the DC bounce back tomorrow night because all we are seeing IMO is his incompetence running down hill like shite does.
If they come out in those week zones again, we won't win the game and we'll all be ripping on the D again come Friday morning...
We had the Cards Offense's number before Morris, Ditto for the Hags Offense. Hope it doesn't turn out like last week
Go Rams!

DMRamFan
Commissioner

Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:53 am

Rampager66 wrote:
Maybe if the guy was placed in a better scheme... given a better chance to succeed... no doubt some of it is on the player... but
Maybe Mr. Morris needs to take a look in the mirror to see who's also struggling
I'd like to see the DC bounce back tomorrow night because all we are seeing IMO is his incompetence running down hill like shite does.
If they come out in those week zones again, we won't win the game and we'll all be ripping on the D again come Friday morning...
We had the Cards Offense's number before Morris, Ditto for the Hags Offense. Hope it doesn't turn out like last week
Go Rams!
^This as well.

Its both a coach AND player issue.

Yorkshire Ram
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:08 am

Rampager66 wrote:
Go Rams!
Correct. It's OK throwing Long under the bus, but let's have some self reflection too.

Long was actually rating pretty well until that awful performance against the Cards. Long is a problem but not THE problem.

UplandRam
Site Admin

ocram23 wrote:
who on this forum thought Long was going to be the answer??? I sure as hell didn't. losing Hill and JJ was a big deal to this Defense. now Gilmore has been traded to Carolina which will that solid defense even better.

We have Robert Rochel as a CB and Terrell Burgess as a replacement for Rapp.

ocram23
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:11 am

UplandRam wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

at this point I think Rochel needs to step in. Rapp needs to be regulated to 2nd string IMO

Rampager66
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:14 am

Yorkshire Ram wrote:
Rampager66 wrote:
Go Rams!
Correct. It's OK throwing Long under the bus, but let's have some self reflection too.

Long was actually rating pretty well until that awful performance against the Cards. Long is a problem but not THE problem.
Exactly And since we're giving free passes to some for a bad game, perhaps the same can apply to DLJ.
I don't see how we can get a true gauge of the players ability, especially the newer/younger ones, if leadership is substandard... like it could be here

RAMFAN71
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:41 am

I recall Troy Hill not being great as a cover CB, but he did a great job in the slot. Maybe Long is same type of guy? Maybe he's just not that good. CB/DB are hard to find because it's THE hardest position next to the QB. But this D issue can be a number of things. I think Morris gets some more time, but it's up to him to right the ship. I just don't think he's any good based on Atlanta and now this. If he just starts throwing new guys out there and we can't make stops, then it will be a long season with this guy. And a waste unless McVay scores 30 per game ala GSOT.
"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

Cornell29
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:00 pm

ocram23 wrote:

I was hoping and still hoping. With that said going into the season I thought Burgess would be the slot cb. Morris is playing JR as the slot so much that, the rams need a outside cb.

Cornell29
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:01 pm

RAMFAN71 wrote:
I recall Troy Hill not being great as a cover CB, but he did a great job in the slot. Maybe Long is same type of guy? Maybe he's just not that good. CB/DB are hard to find because it's THE hardest position next to the QB. But this D issue can be a number of things. I think Morris gets some more time, but it's up to him to right the ship. I just don't think he's any good based on Atlanta and now this. If he just starts throwing new guys out there and we can't make stops, then it will be a long season with this guy. And a waste unless McVay scores 30 per game ala GSOT.
In all honesty, early last year Hill struggled too, early on. He got it going by mid season, hoping Long can do the same.

NorCal RF
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:09 pm

ocram23 wrote:

I absolutely did not. As well as I didn’t buy into one good year from Fuller. I did though think Williams would continue to excel…………….

NorCal RF
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:10 pm

Yorkshire Ram wrote:
Rampager66 wrote:
Go Rams!

Let’s then simplify this. Other than Ramsey the entire secondary is THE problem!

RAMFAN71
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:24 pm

YUP. They better start playing as a group and moving pieces around until we find the right mix. This ain't workin. I bet JR has a lot to say, and he should chime in on who should play where. Burgess has to get in there. He was what, a 3rd or 4th rounder? And he showed some real ability until he broke the ankle. Rochelle maybe...no idea until he get some more reps. Jones? No idea until he gets some reps.
"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

Ants
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:33 pm

When casually watching the game, if something stands out to you that's pretty bad, THAT is really saying something.
Both Rapp and Long (Long against AZ) have been obviously bad and pretty tough to miss.

I really thought Long was going to be a good DB. I think he's better the closer he plays to the line of scrimmage. But I think an undrafted rookie would have played better than he did against AZ.

Rapp just looks slow. For a Safety, that's not necessarily a death sentence...but you just can't be that far away from the play.
The Los Angeles Rams - Making the NFL Great Again. 8-)

idahoramfan
Pro-bowler

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:52 pm

In general (injuries aside), how many defenses are better in wk 1-4 than they are wks 12-16? Not many.

ocram23
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:20 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:10 pm
Yorkshire Ram wrote:
Rampager66 wrote:
Go Rams!

Let’s then simplify this. Other than Ramsey the entire secondary is THE problem!
I would take it a step further.....outside of AD and Ramsey the remaining guys are the problem

ocram23
Hall of Famer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:23 pm

let's be honest the Rams had only so much money to spend. once the Goff contract is off the books maybe they will go out and address some of their deficiencies. look at the defense: we need help at every discipline: DL, LB and Secondary

Fearsome Foursome
Bench Warmer

Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:43 pm

DMRamFan wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:10 am
I just dont get it.

Kenny Young, Rapp and Long...

Lets all keep an eye on these 3 Thursday ngt. Like really watch them if possible. Maybe some others will see what I have been seeing, in that they look like they dont know what they are doing sometimes. Kenny has has his good moments, but too many missed tackles. Rapp and Long, I have NOT seen a damn good thing.

Lets hope they stand up and make some plays tomorrow ngt.

Yes, my sentiments too!

Kenny Young is average. I think Rapp has reached his ceiling. He misses to many tackles. He, like many DBs, minimize injuries by throwing their bodies and not wrap up tackle with their arms. Rapp is a step behind TEs, TEs mind you, and lacks make-up-speed to make a play. Burgess, showed be given a chance or at least show if he can stick with team or Rams get another safety.

Long, is average. Looks like he can read and anticipate coverage well, but does not have athleticism to make a play.

Conclusion: we can still win with above, but the defensive coaching and schemes got to cover the above. Also, my understanding we still in the trading time and not to late to trade for a veteran DB or ILB with one or two years in their careers.
[img]C:\Users\Paul.Kalaiwaa\Pictures\Fearsome_Four (120x58) (2).jpg[/img]

therealheadslap75
Hall of Famer

Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:18 am

UplandRam wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

Absolutely right Upland Could not agree more
Rochelle should replace DWill on the outside and DWill should replace Long Jr in the slot

Burgess is a safety with corner skills, actually the no 2 ranked slot corner in college in 2018, he’s about Rapps size but much much more athletic

CierraRam
Hall of Famer

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:11 am

RAMFAN71 wrote:
Absolutely correct on your thoughts here about the difficulty in playing corner.

Rams since '66
Hall of Famer

Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:48 am

RAMFAN71 wrote:
I seem to recall it said about Long when he came out that his strength was on the outside and not in the slot. Maybe he's progressed in his slot coverage.

Rams since '66
Hall of Famer

Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:51 am

Rampager66 wrote:
Go Rams!
I hate bend but don't break defenses.
It's tough to rely on 4 down goal line stands and end zone picks to bail out the defense every week

• Information