I Say, No Early Extension For Stafford

Discussion & News On The Los Angeles Rams
BrooklynRam74
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:36 am

Let me clarify. Was all for the Stafford trade, would make the same trade today.

Not gonna miss those Draft Picks, trade was necessary.

Stafford remains a clear upgrade from previous QB.

But we have been burnt by WAY TOO EARLY Extensions before. Goff, Gurley, Cooks.

I say to Staff, Prove it! Get into the Final Four AT LEAST in 1 of the next 2 years and we'll consider it.

Your job is STILL to WIN the Super Bowl.

Signed thru 22 (next season), let the Franchise Tag be our friend if need be for '23.

You WIN the Super Bowl this year or next? You get the 4-year "thank you" extension.
Proud Supporter Of Los Angeles/St. Louis/Los Angeles Ram Football Since 1974 From Beautiful Brooklyn N.Y.

a.k.a. Mike Schad 1st Rd.

ocram23
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:11 am

BrooklynRam74 wrote:
Let me clarify. Was all for the Stafford trade, would make the same trade today.

I say to Staff, Prove it! Get into the Final Four AT LEAST in 1 of the next 2 years and we'll consider it.

Signed thru 22 (next season), let the Franchise Tag be our friend if need be for '23.

You WIN the Super Bowl this year or next? You get the 4-year "thank you" extension.
agree
let's just hope the bromance between mcvay and stafford has cooled off a little after these last 2 games

DMRamFan
Commissioner

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:29 am

Why do I have this gut feeling we'll jump the gun again...

Snead has a way of sticking w what he does. He has done this a number of times... So why stop now?

I just hope, that we are smart here. Even IF Staff comes back and starts playing well again.... JUST WAIT TILL AFTER NEXT SEASON.
Last edited by DMRamFan on Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

NorCal RF
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:34 am

I don’t think there will be one…………

If this goes the way they hope, one big bleeping if, then both parties will want to remain together come 2023……………

ocram23
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:46 am

I wonder how much Demoff and co read the negative press

DMRamFan
Commissioner

Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:22 am

ocram23 wrote:
Come on OC, like me you live in SoCal... They would have to be in a sound proof vault not able to hear whats happening. Have you been listening to local AM radio Or Rams Brothers The Pod (Podcast) or how about the LA Times... Local press is having a field day on Snead, McVay and just about the entire team right now. Couldn't believe some of the stuff I was hearing this morning. Two straight losses and the world is ending.

LA is the TOUGH market... Rams better rectify this... they are trying to create a new brand mixed w the old brand... and right now, this new brand and apparel isn't doing so hot.

Rampager66
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:25 am

OP's bang on....Win us something first...

DMRamFan
Commissioner

Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:41 am

Rampager66 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:25 am
OP's bang on....Win us something first...
Mike has always been pretty BANG ON.

:lol:

toast49
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:46 am

I've been saying this since the terrible Gurley extension. Everyone else was saying pay him now. I said don't do it till you have to and use the franchise tag if you need to but at least use the 5th year option. Welcome to the parts pals. :D

Hacksaw
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:47 am

Win in Green Bay and the sky will stop falling immediately.

Stafford will improve and I don't see him as a guy who would bolt right away anyway.
GO RAMS !!!
Way to GO DODGERS !!!
Way to GO LAKERS !!!

THE GREATEST SHOW ON TURF,,,,,,, WAS

brasilrams
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:21 am

BrooklynRam74 wrote:

PERFECTLY said bro.

Rampager66
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:29 am

toast49 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:46 am
I've been saying this since the terrible Gurley extension. Everyone else was saying pay him now. I said don't do it till you have to and use the franchise tag if you need to but at least use the 5th year option. Welcome to the parts pals. :D
I do remember that toast, you were pretty loud against it... Lets hope they learned something...

ocram23
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:47 am

DMRamFan wrote:
ocram23 wrote:
Come on OC, like me you live in SoCal... They would have to be in a sound proof vault not able to hear whats happening. Have you been listening to local AM radio Or Rams Brothers The Pod (Podcast) or how about the LA Times... Local press is having a field day on Snead, McVay and just about the entire team right now. Couldn't believe some of the stuff I was hearing this morning. Two straight losses and the world is ending.

LA is the TOUGH market... Rams better rectify this... they are trying to create a new brand mixed w the old brand... and right now, this new brand and apparel isn't doing so hot.
very true and even national media is killing McVay and co right now calling them soft. McVay has little big man's disease and there is no way in hell he likes to hear the team he coaches is soft. practices are going to be tough these next 2 weeks.
I think the last 2 losses have shown their true colors on the defensive side of the ball and that is very concerning. need to circle the wagon and get back on track.

SoCalRam78
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:57 am

I agree, Rams are paying Goff and Gurley over 31 million this year in dead cap hits to not play for them. Gurley is essentially done in the NFL (I assume this will be the last time they extend a RB). 31 million would be nice to have had last offseason, no?

Problem is if Stafford is a 2 year guy here, who the hell is the next QB? No first rounders this year or next and you're either taking a reclamation guy (Darnold lmfao) or some overpaid FA.
Fan since 80s

Yorkshire Ram
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:06 pm

Stafford is (only) making $23m next season and there will also be a big hike in the salary cap. It would be absolute lunacy to extend Stafford early, even if that meant spreading his 2022 money out.

Plus, we're not dealing with a diva here, Stafford seems like the kind of guy who appreciates his fortune in playing pro sports and realises he has to earn these things so a delay would not cause a negative impact IMO.

BrooklynRam74
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:24 pm

SoCalRam78 wrote:
I agree, Rams are paying Goff and Gurley over 31 million this year in dead cap hits to not play for them. Gurley is essentially done in the NFL (I assume this will be the last time they extend a RB). 31 million would be nice to have had last offseason, no?

Problem is if Stafford is a 2 year guy here, who the hell is the next QB? No first rounders this year or next and you're either taking a reclamation guy (Darnold lmfao) or some overpaid FA.
We can Franchise him in 23. OR we can deal away 2024, 25 + 26 Draft Choices to take a hot-shot Rookie QB? Only HALF-joking 😐😐😐
Proud Supporter Of Los Angeles/St. Louis/Los Angeles Ram Football Since 1974 From Beautiful Brooklyn N.Y.

a.k.a. Mike Schad 1st Rd.

DMRamFan
Commissioner

Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:34 pm

BrooklynRam74 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:24 pm
SoCalRam78 wrote:

We can Franchise him in 23. OR we can deal away 2024, 25 + 26 Draft Choices to take a hot-shot Rookie QB? Only HALF-joking 😐😐😐
Hey, Brady could be ava then too.

:lol:

fan since 65
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:22 pm

I have to believe after the Tavon Austin, Gurley and Goff extension disasters they have learned their lesson. McVay needs to put Stafford "in better positions to win" perhaps under center more would be a logical start. He also needs someone to pull him aside and explain how the offensive and defensive schemes for the 9er game played right into their hands. On that first drive he should have pounded the ball down their throats, they have not been good against the run, and then opened up the passing game. Who on his staff does he respect enough to hear that from? All his humble talk is beginning to wear thin. Game after game he just gives up on the running game and puts it all on Stafford and against better teams Stafford has not come through...

NN1Badboy
Hall of Famer

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:07 am

Agreed. No use signing him too soon. But yes, I was and still am a fan of the trade.

UK Rams Fan
Hall of Famer

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:49 am

Stafford can only win us something if he is helped out by his coaches.. The talent is there around him (that's one tick in the box right there)
Now just need some intelligent and balanced playcalling to fully utilize both the QB and all that talent. Currently, it's this that is letting him down in my opinion.

We don't have the draft capital for quite some time to acquire another top talent tier QB using the current method that Snead likes to adopt.
Unless Stafford gets injured and Perkins comes in and lights it up, in a similar style to the changing of the guard between Green & Warner.. then I think Stafford is going to be our QB for the foreseeable future.

Ramsfan08ny
Hall of Famer

Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:41 am

UK Rams Fan wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:49 am
Stafford can only win us something if he is helped out by his coaches.. The talent is there around him (that's one tick in the box right there)
Now just need some intelligent and balanced playcalling to fully utilize both the QB and all that talent. Currently, it's this that is letting him down in my opinion.

We don't have the draft capital for quite some time to acquire another top talent tier QB using the current method that Snead likes to adopt.
Unless Stafford gets injured and Perkins comes in and lights it up, in a similar style to the changing of the guard between Green & Warner.. then I think Stafford is going to be our QB for the foreseeable future.

Yea, Perkins didn't do much to knock my socks off in PS, but who knows. Given done more PT with the first unit, who knows what we have there.

Ramsfan08ny
Hall of Famer

Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:45 am

ocram23 wrote:
DMRamFan wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

very true and even national media is killing McVay and co right now calling them soft. McVay has little big man's disease and there is no way in hell he likes to hear the team he coaches is soft. practices are going to be tough these next 2 weeks.
I think the last 2 losses have shown their true colors on the defensive side of the ball and that is very concerning. need to circle the wagon and get back on track.
They're not bashing him enough. This team has way too much flash, and not enough smash. Mcvay has a big ego. We can only hope that his ego was stomped enough over the past two weeks to convince him to change it up a bit. For starters, their passing game AND defense all hinges on how good their running game is. I won't say the running game has been bad, it's just been absent.

ocram23
Hall of Famer

Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:24 am

Ramsfan08ny wrote:
ocram23 wrote:
DMRamFan wrote:

They're not bashing him enough. This team has way too much flash, and not enough smash. Mcvay has a big ego. We can only hope that his ego was stomped enough over the past two weeks to convince him to change it up a bit. For starters, their passing game AND defense all hinges on how good their running game is. I won't say the running game has been bad, it's just been absent.
you know he hates the fact Shannahan has beaten him 5 straight.

Rampager66
Hall of Famer

Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:32 am

ocram23 wrote:
Ramsfan08ny wrote:
ocram23 wrote:

I don't know about that. He appears to be tight with many coach's through out the league and KS is one of his best buds.
Same with the players now.
What happened to despising the opposition, that's how you get your guys to play smash mouth AFAIC.

ocram23
Hall of Famer

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:46 am

Rampager66 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:32 am
ocram23 wrote:
Ramsfan08ny wrote:

I don't know about that. He appears to be tight with many coach's through out the league and KS is one of his best buds.
Same with the players now.
What happened to despising the opposition, that's how you get your guys to play smash mouth AFAIC.
BS
when you get to the level McVay is at you don't like losing to anyone. No way is he ok with this. Alpha male's don't like losing at anything

• Information